• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which would you play?

Which one would you be more likely to play?

• A Trainer-Based F2P MORPG

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • A Pokemon-Based F2P MORPG

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Both

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I don't really care . . .

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

Eternalgamer94

GDS Developer
Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2010
    I'm no longer accepting votes that will count towards my decision.You may vote though for "looks".

Ending Votes
    A Trainer-Based F2P MORPG: 13
    A Pokemon-Based F2P MORPG: 5
    Both: 4
    I don't really care . . .: 3
    Which of these two types of online games would you play?

Trainer-Based F2P MORPG

• Are able to choose from being a Trainer, Breeder, Other.
    • Choose which region you start in.
    • You control the human character while you are outside of Pokemon battles.
    • When you get into a Pokemon battle you get the standard option of choosing which attack to use (Only 4 options).
    • Buy potions/berries (Dependent on region/area).
    • Get multiple Pokemon and are able to capture more. (Unable to capture legendary Pokemon)
    • Buy Evolutionary Stones from shops/players or scavenge for them.
    • Able to travel to other regions. (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh)
    • Hit/Miss ratios are same as they have always been.
    Pokemon-Based F2P MORPG

• Choose any Pokemon to control in the beginning. (Doesn't include legendary Pokemon)
    • Starting area depends on type.
    • Are always one Pokemon that can evolve if you're are able to.
    • Able to gain Evolutionary Stones, Food/Berries, etc. via "Expeditions".
    • Able to travel around an unknown region.
    • Better control on Hit/Miss ratio. (Varies depending on the attack)
    • Ability to go on "Quests" for NPCs.
    Reasons for wanting to know . . .
    The reason I want to know is because I'm planning a 3D game project.
    (Haven't really decided whether I'll go Single Player or Online)

Yes, I do know how to code. I just want to know what you guys would prefer. I'll be taking the idea with the most votes.

IF
    Trainer-Based wins - I will make a 3D game similar to the hand-held versions. (But full 3D)

Pokemon-Based wins
    - I will make a 3D game where you can choose whatever Pokemon in their lowest form. (No Legendary Pokemon, besides maybe NPCs.)

I don't care wins
    - I will choose

I will add the both votes to the Trainer and Pokemon overall votes.
    You may post suggestions to add to these below or bump the thread up to get more votes.

Last edited:

dooxer

42 or not 42
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    mmo could be interesting though... if you can pull off a passable 3D model battle game, i would think that we have enough single player pokemon games. might as well try online lol.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Well, if you go for Pokemon- my favorite, personally- You'd have to include race changing. Nobody wants to be a Pikachu the whole game.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Pretty much you're saying "Do you want a game kind of like the original games, or a game like the Pokemon Dungeon Series."

Honestly, I'm good for either. I like the original series, but the Mystery Dungeon series is good too~

Eternalgamer94

GDS Developer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2010
    sorry, but i hate MORPGs. I would go for Pokemon-based, but make it single Player, please
    @Dragon0fangz
    I have no clue whether or not I will make it Online. Obviously online games are a lot harder to make due to connectivity, updating, etc.

mmo could be interesting though... if you can pull off a passable 3D model battle game, i would think that we have enough single player Pokemon games. might as well try online lol.
    @Dooxer
    Yeah, all of the Pokemon games aren't legit online as they can't handle all the bandwidth usage. (Not quite sure about Diamond and Pearls Wi-Fi, but its probably weak) I have a feeling that Nintendo is going to get mad if this gets close to completion.

I like it the original way so i like the trainer based?
    @JackShield
    Well its all about our opinions. =P

Trainer based. A Pokemon only game doesn't appeal to me in the least.
    @Elite Overlord Lesabre
    I'm sure a lot of people will feel that way, we've had Trainer-based games for quite a while and its hard to stop traditions.

Pokemon based game mmo there are lots of trainer games on and off line but I don't know about a single online Pokemon mystery dungeon game.

but you know what ever way you go on this just pm me the link if you get it done;)
    @AuraGaurdian
    Yeah, but none of them go through that extra step of making their online functions actually work. I would honestly never call a game completely online unless it was convenient for the user/player.

Ex. Battle Revolution

I'll be sure to tell you when I get done or even get into a testing period.

Well, if you go for Pokemon- my favorite, personally- You'd have to include race changing. Nobody wants to be a Pikachu the whole game.
    @Åzurε
    Honestly both will include a lot of updates, but the Pokemon-based one would probably have more.
    Also you will be able to make multiple characters, gain new abilities, etc.

Pretty much you're saying "Do you want a game kind of like the original games, or a game like the Pokemon Dungeon Series."

Honestly, I'm good for either. I like the original series, but the Mystery Dungeon series is good too~
    @BinaryPeaches
    Darn, someone caught me. Yeah that's exactly what I was implying, but making a wall of text hides it. :)
    Mystery Dungeon was pretty fun and their short cartoons they made for it were done well.

@Everyone
    I will reply to you guys if I can, but if I'm busy I won't immediately reply when I see it.

Extra:
    The reason I say MORPG (Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game) is because I would never call this game a MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game), not enough people would play it to become that massive.

Last edited:

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I would play both the Trainer-Based F2P MORPG and the Pokemon-Based F2P MORPG.
    Cause they both seem like they would be fun to play.

Eternalgamer94

GDS Developer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2010
    I would play both the Trainer-Based F2P MORPG and the Pokemon-Based F2P MORPG.
    Cause they both seem like they would be fun to play.
    @Agent Clank
    Same with me, that's why I wanted others' opinions.

I'm going to wait 24 more minutes, if there aren't any other votes then I'm going to choose the most voted for one.

Years
  • Pokemon Based definitely. I would like to play as a pokemon who can learn moves by itself and fight another pokemon on single player/multiplayer. Something like Diablo II or WoW (which is obviously a MMO)

Eternalgamer94

GDS Developer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2010
    Pokemon Based definitely. I would like to play as a pokemon who can learn moves by itself and fight another pokemon on single player/multiplayer. Something like Diablo II or WoW (which is obviously a MMO)

@Sajmon180
    Hm, I like how you used others as examples. Although, Diablo II actually has 3 forms of game-play. singleplayer, local play, and multiplayer.

I've decided to keep this thread open for future voters until the end of today. (4 and 1/2 hours left) After that time period is over votes will still be allowed, but won't effect my decision.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    they both seem awesome so ill be happy with either. But i think the first ones better cause the picking regoin thing

Eternalgamer94

GDS Developer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2010
    they both seem awesome so ill be happy with either. But i think the first ones better cause the picking region thing

@imevil

Yeah, I like both also. But I couldn't decide so, why not ask the community!

I never cared for Mystery Dungeon so... Trainer based?

@orange discontent
    I think they mystery dungeon would've been better as single controller game. Instead of multiple controller.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    If you had different gameplay than Mystery Dungeon, it would be more interesting. Something WoW-ey in terms of landscape. I don't expect miracles, this isn't my project, but I'd definitely like to see it that way.
    Good luck hiding it from Nintendo if it gets popular. Which is something else you may want to consider.

Eternalgamer94

GDS Developer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2010
    If you had different gameplay than Mystery Dungeon, it would be more interesting. Something WoW-ey in terms of landscape. I don't expect miracles, this isn't my project, but I'd definitely like to see it that way.
    Good luck hiding it from Nintendo if it gets popular. Which is something else you may want to consider.
    @Åzurε
    Nintendo won't end up showing their faces until its close to completion. They wouldn't want to waste money on something that isn't finished.

Back