• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

White House blocks news organizations from press briefing

User19sq

The decision struck veteran White House journalists as unprecedented in the modern era, and escalated tensions in the already fraught relationship between the Trump administration and the press.
    The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, Politico and BuzzFeed were also among those excluded from the meeting, which was held in White House press secretary Sean Spicer's office. The meeting, which is known as a gaggle, was held in lieu of the daily televised Q-and-A session in the White House briefing room.

When reporters from these news organizations tried to enter Spicer's office for the gaggle, they were told they could not attend because they were not on the list of attendees.

In a brief statement defending the move, administration spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said the White House "had the pool there so everyone would be represented and get an update from us today."
    The White House press pool usually includes representatives from one television outlet, one radio outlet and one print outlet, as well as reporters from a few wire services. In this case, four of the five major television networks -- NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox News -- were invited and attended the meeting, while only CNN was blocked.

And while The New York Times was kept out, conservative media organizations Breitbart News, The Washington Times and One America News Network were also allowed in.

Full story: http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/24/media/cnn-blocked-white-house-gaggle/index.html

Is this how dictatorships begin? Or is this something else?

I just feel Trump handles criticism as well as he handles stairs.

Years
  • Considering this is coming from CNN, I wouldn't place too much faith in this article. They thought not telling them about a steak dinner was a 'lack of transparency' and don't start on the 'Russian hacker' BS, of which they utilized footage from Fallout 4 to show 'hacking'. Don Lemon, I think, is genuinely retarded and when it comes down to it, when you constantly lie and lie and lie some more and are incorrect, take things out of context, mislead and misdirect as much as CNN does can you really blame the Cabinet?

CNN ran a news story from Buzzfeed that originated from 4chan, with no hard sources. Let that little caveat sink in for a moment.

Not to mention that 12 year old girls are 'intolerant' of men's penises in the women's locker rooms (1, 2, 3).

I mean, this alone should throw CNN as 'news' off the track! So we're down to arguing for so much tolerance that what was once considered as child abuse (stranger's genitals) is now supposed to be tolerated? Even if one to make the argument you can't ignore the fact that young minds are very impressionable. A locker room isn't a nudist colony; I feel like I needed to add that because I feel like someone would make that argument.

Further more:
    Spoiler:

*facepalm* Is it really any wonder why nobody wants to talk to these people? Let's not forget the falsities CNN said about Sweden, good God. This didn't crop up from nothing, and CNN is pretending like it has. When you lie and misinform and call it 'news' people lose faith in you. CNN fell behind Nickelodeon recently partly due in fact of their failure to acknowledge their shortcomings (in my beliefs). So is it any wonder why their credibility is dropping like a rock? Their Twitter feeds and viewership (The MSM in general) is drying up and dwarfed by youtube commentators.

They're a nonsense channel and they've claimed the victim. Unless they have absolute concrete evidence that they'll never, ever be able to go to another press conference at the White House ever again, I don't buy it.

The article even says that the interview was not televised. CNN was at the televised interview. Should CNN always get the privileged of always being at every single interview? Or should they [White House] rotate out the news media? Look, they let CNN into the White House even though the [White House] thinks they're 'Fake News'. So, The White House hates all the media but can't seem to confiscate all of their press passes and just publish everything on their own [White House]?

Boo hoo. They'll be back in the White House asking stupid Russian hacker questions next week, just you watch. Nothing to see here.

These aren't the truths you're looking for. Move along.

User19sq

You're attacking CNN... but they weren't the only news organizations to be banned. Care to talk about the others as well? I'd like to hear your opinions on BBC, NYT, and the like, if you have so much to say about CNN alone.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Buzzfeed is barely worthy of being called a news organization (I'm actually surprised it's being called one here). The rest have all published or ran stories the Trump WH has denounced or called "fake news" repeatedly and have been particularly inaccurate with their reporting (or so Trump's WH says).

I'd also not specifically call this "blocking" them, since they weren't on a list for the gaggle. I do believe that this was a warning to these news agencies though that if they want to run unverified news/"fake news", this WH will just stop inviting them to these sessions. Not too differently as well, just because an agency calls themselves a "news agency" doesn't mean officials need to accept or acknowledge them as such. They don't allow every person who calls themselves a "journalist" in on things like this, so if the WH decides not to acknowledge them as real news agencies, then that'd not be surprising given the constant battle they seem to have with these particular organizations.

If you see the WH ban all anti-Trump reporting or pulling press passes often/more than a handful they've had problems with on accuracy, get concerned. I'd prefer they didn't pull any passes, but if an agency is not being accurate or purposefully lying, then they ought not have such a privileged access. I'm all about journalistic freedom, but I also feel the "mainstream media"/24 hour news channels sacrifice their integrity for "breaking news" and unverified works. Local news is vastly superior and put the integrity of honest reporting above ratings/personalities like Bill O'Reilly, Chris Matthews, etc.

Asking questions like "is this the beginning of a dictatorship?" is not far off from the type of things CNN and company were doing to lead to this today though. Also not sure why you mention BBC since they aren't mentioned at all as being denied entry to the gaggle today.

User19sq

Asking questions like "is this the beginning of a dictatorship?" is not far off from the type of things CNN and company were doing to lead to this today though. Also not sure why you mention BBC since they aren't mentioned at all as being denied entry to the gaggle today.

The former's just me, being incredibly uncomfortable with today's views towards the majority of the media. But BBC is mentioned elsewhere:

Reporters from the BBC, The New York Times, CNN and other outlets were excluded from a briefing by the White House press secretary Sean Spicer. No reason was given, but Associated Press and Time magazine boycotted the so-called gaggle in protest.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39080356

Years
  • You're attacking CNN... but they weren't the only news organizations to be banned. Care to talk about the others as well? I'd like to hear your opinions on BBC, NYT, and the like, if you have so much to say about CNN alone.
    Is the point invalid? I specifically targeted CNN because the product came from them. Delving into the BBC and the New York Times is altogether another issue on their credibility, which I know for certain the New York Times shot to ribbons.

The point, perhaps, I was trying to make and what should be taken from all this is that they [the media] will be back next week. There are so many news sources out there that they can't all be accomodated and having the same five in constant rotation is perhaps not healthy.
    Besides:
    The White House press pool usually includes representatives from one television outlet, one radio outlet and one print outlet, as well as reporters from a few wire services. In this case, four of the five major television networks -- NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox News -- were invited and attended the meeting, while only CNN was blocked.

NBC, ABC, and CBS are pretty clearly anti-Trump. So what do you think? Do you think that if the Admin. wanted to block 'bad publicity' then they'd ban NBC, ABC, and CBS as well? Also, unless my lying eyes deceive me, the BBC is not mention in the article at all. Seems like they let a lot more than just one person from every type of media outlet and not just pro-Trump sites. What's the issue here?

Once again:
    And while The New York Times was kept out, conservative media organizations Breitbart News, The Washington Times and One America News Network were also allowed in.
    What? Only 'fake news' is let in? *Gasp* I thought it was worse than calling a black man the 'N' word! But of course, CNN is okay with other sites like the New York Times and the Washington Post calling others 'fake news' so long as they're in the clear. Classic case of wanton gluttony. They can't have their cake and eat it too.

I snorted coffee at this:
    "This is an unacceptable development by the Trump White House," CNN said in a statement. Apparently this is how they retaliate when you report facts they don't like. We'll keep reporting regardless."
    "This is outrageous! You can't do this to me! Me! Of All People! Do you know who I am!? Do you have any- do you know who I am? Do you?" - Self important people everywhere

"Here, let me publish an article about my being outraged and other people being outraged, but mostly about my being outraged." - CNN Kind of

Ludicrous. They already posted a story on their displeasure but feel the need to reaffirm that? Please, don't make me laugh.

Here we are:
    Reporters from The Associated Press, Time magazine and USA Today decided in the moment to boycott the briefing because of how it was handled.
    Looks like the Associated Press, Time magazine and USA Today were all invited but declined to go, because CNN didn't get to go. Hm. I suppose this proves . . . absolutely nothing. The Press wasn't banned CNN! Evidently if you bar CNN from attending once it's now and forever! Never again will CNN ever get to visit the White House!

Seriously? I'm breaking out in tears:
    "The Wall Street Journal strongly objects to the White House's decision to bar certain media outlets from today's gaggle," a Journal spokesman said. "Had we known at the time, we would not have participated and we will not participate in such closed briefings in the future."
    They went! The Wall Street Journal (who are now the laughing stock of the youtube world) decided after going that they wouldn't attend again! Big words.

Boom:
    The White House move was called "appalling" by Washington Post Executive Editor Marty Baron, who said the Trump administration is on "an undemocratic path."
    Well then. I suppose then that makes Former Pres. Obama appalling as well by the same logic. By winning the 'Muzzle Award' in 2011 by restricting access to the free press here. He won again in 2014 with a landslide victory being from the White House Press secretary along with the NSA and the DHS.

Before you label the Thomas Jefferson Center as pro-Trump here's this article on their front page slamming him on flag burning policy. And they also have authors publish works like this.

*shrug* Don't know what to tell you other than they'll be there next week crying about something else. Pretty annoying after awhile if you ask me. Cry wolf for long enough and nobody cares. This is what has been happening for the past year or so.

Last edited:
    Years
  • If all the anti-Trump news outlets (particularly the garbage that is CNN) spend their time to even try to objectively analyze Trump's actions instead of hyperanalyzing every minute thing he does and try to connect those to the frighteningly overreaching narrative that he is this super racist, nazi, alt-right, "literally hitler" dictator/monster, then maybe they would get somewhere meaningful instead of being labelled fake news. There is a shocking lack of self-reflection on most of their part as to why trust in the media has been constantly diminishing. Ironically, the term "fake news" was actually originally created by the same group of traditional news outlets in an attempt to diminish the influence of alternative media, which has, of course, backfired spectacularly by this point.

Wholesale opposition for the sake of opposition and ad hominem attacks do not achieve anything meaningful as the election results have showed. I would've thought some of these idiots would actually learn from their mistakes like they said they did (I'm looking at you, NY Times) but nope. All I've seen is doubling down of pure anti-Trump rhetoric. If you still think Trump won solely because "America is racist", you don't get it. At all.

I'm not saying Trump is perfect, and I'm certainly not saying Trump is above any criticism. Hell, I don't even agree with good number of Trump's political positions, and I don't agree with his recent "Muslim ban" (that wasn't really even a Muslim Ban anyways) either, although somewhat for different reasons than most people here I imagine. But when you keep hearing crazy stuff like he's the next Hitler, there's no choice for me but to play the devil's advocate, to put it kindly.

Years
  • It's suppression of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. There's no way that this block is legal at all and I hope one (or all) of the outlets prohibited from entering the White House take this action to court. It's unconstitutional.

As long as these outlets are not making direct threats to Trump, then there should be no need to block these outlets from even covering media as it pertains to the White House.

Years
  • It's suppression of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. There's no way that this block is legal at all and I hope one (or all) of the outlets prohibited from entering the White House take this action to court. It's unconstitutional.

As long as these outlets are not making direct threats to Trump, then there should be no need to block these outlets from even covering media as it pertains to the White House.

It's not exactly a surprise that the Trump administration is crapping over the constitution. I too hope that this gets taken to the courts because it needs to be. Otherwise, Trump and his staff will just continue taking more and more illegal action in the future.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I do not believe this is a violation of the 1st amendment because the 1st amendment protects negative liberty rather than the positive liberty. Essentially it would be a violation for Trump to suppress any news story, but preventing them from being able to attend does not violate negative liberty. Im no constitutional lawyer, but thats my take. I can expand if need be.

Years
  • I do not believe this is a violation of the 1st amendment because the 1st amendment protects negative liberty rather than the positive liberty. Essentially it would be a violation for Trump to suppress any news story, but preventing them from being able to attend does not violate negative liberty. Im no constitutional lawyer, but thats my take. I can expand if need be.

It may not be a technical violation, but it certainly violates the spirit. Allowing only "favored" news outlets access and calling others enemies of the state is the kind of thing you expect to see in Russia and other less-democratic countries. Freedom of the press isn't just about being free to print stories, but to have access, especially in government.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I do not believe this is a violation of the 1st amendment because the 1st amendment protects negative liberty rather than the positive liberty. Essentially it would be a violation for Trump to suppress any news story, but preventing them from being able to attend does not violate negative liberty. Im no constitutional lawyer, but thats my take. I can expand if need be.
    ....what is "negative" liberty and "positive" liberty?

Svartulv

the black wind howls.
    Years
  • Okay, I am going to give an outsider's perspective. In Venezuela, the situation reported in the main post of this thread is an everyday thing. Only the "official" media is invited to the government's acts, press conferences and such. This has led, over the years, to a disappearance of a great amount of relevant sources of information: newspapers, TV channels, news websites, among others. Of course, that's also a consequence of the direct persecution and pretty-much-government-supported violence against "opposition" media, but well, it began just like that, blocking this and that channel, this and that journalist from getting into a press conference.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • It may not be a technical violation, but it certainly violates the spirit. Allowing only "favored" news outlets access and calling others enemies of the state is the kind of thing you expect to see in Russia and other less-democratic countries. Freedom of the press isn't just about being free to print stories, but to have access, especially in government.

No doubt about that. While its not a violation, its a precedent and one can't deny the action holds importance.

@Nah

Negative liberty is essentially the freedom from. Freedom from high taxes or your guns from being taken away. The Bill of Rights lives in this realm.

Positive liberty is the freedom to, such as having the liberty to live a quality life. The 14th and 15th amendments would be good examples of positive liberty.

Here is a good link that goes into more detail: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/liberty-positive-negative/

Years
  • Tsutarja said:
    It's suppression of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. There's no way that this block is legal at all and I hope one (or all) of the outlets prohibited from entering the White House take this action to court. It's unconstitutional.

This isn't a violation of the 1st amendment and thus this wasn't unconstitutional. There's no obligation on Trump administration's part to invite certain news outlets.

I do agree that there was no need to block these outlets, though.

Years
  • *Disclaimer: When referring to persons 'everyone', 'people' and other plurals are not generally directed at any individual(s) with a few exceptions. It is a form of speech.
    It's suppression of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. There's no way that this block is legal at all and I hope one (or all) of the outlets prohibited from entering the White House take this action to court. It's unconstitutional.

I don't know why you'd think this is a violation. . . hmm . . . to to put it? Here's the rub for everyone not in the know or won't take ten minutes to read or do their own research. No, this was no where near a violation of the first amendment. Let me explain why. The gaggle can be considered an 'after party' so to speak. CNN was present at the White House briefing, where everyone is able to ask questions savvy?

So, after the prom there's an orgy party going on and CNN (aka the 'dweeb' of the classroom) was not invited. Did the dweeb get to go to the prom? Yes. Had the dweeb been barred from the prom would there be an issue? Yes. But there is no issue because the gaggle wasn't mandatory (that is to say) to attend.

It's not exactly a surprise that the Trump administration is crapping over the constitution. I too hope that this gets taken to the courts because it needs to be. Otherwise, Trump and his staff will just continue taking more and more illegal action in the future.
    My personal ire with you grows along with the passage of time. The reason for this ire is that you have proven to me that you do not and will not read actual sources and prefer your information to be second hand a la telephone game.

You have berated me in the past for being wrong yet hadn't taken the time to actually sort through documents from the source. This seems more of the same to me. This is not a violation of any sort whatsoever. Pretending that it is will never make it so. If you are so against this, as you say you are, then you should have been, and still should be, embittered at the Obama administration for doing much of the same thing. I have given examples of this earlier and posted a starting source. Since I am suspicious that you'll follow through, as I am basing this on learned behaviour on your part, I'm not going to hold my breath. You have proven to me that you're willing to disrespect me by not actually reading original sources i.e. not 'secondhand', and discounted me using snapshot information. If you're unwilling to play the game, please do your best to avoid it.

It may not be a technical violation, but it certainly violates the spirit. Allowing only "favored" news outlets access and calling others enemies of the state is the kind of thing you expect to see in Russia and other less-democratic countries. Freedom of the press isn't just about being free to print stories, but to have access, especially in government.
    I have addressed this above. The gaggle is not entitled to anyone. If you're not on the list, you're not getting in the club. The gaggle was an opening, an opportunity if you will. Not a right. It is a privilege to be able to draw first blood (get the scoop). I don't feel that it's a right to get to go to a gaggle. Had they been barred from the actual press conference they may have had an actual foothold, but they don't, so they won't. I'll gamble that they talk about this occurrence for three weeks tops.

Side Note:
    Spoiler:

This isn't a violation of the 1st amendment and thus this wasn't unconstitutional. There's no obligation on Trump administration's part to invite certain news outlets.

I do agree that there was no need to block these outlets, though.
    I partially agree. I feel that this wasn't so damning. It was pretty much worthless and this equatted to who got to ask questions. Like we said, there were other media outlets, on both the right and left sides and a good mix of those that like 'President' Trump, hate 'Not my President' Trump, and are critical of 'Mr.' Trump. If it was how they are phrasing it, absolutely no negative press would have been allowed in.

For all of you, and this is perhaps the mountain coming to slap the shit out of you for whining and crying out without reading, researching and buying into whatever it is you buy into . . . the minutes from the White House gaggle. If you're so inclined to say that the White House is 'silencing' free speech, riddle me this: Why would they post the goddamn minutes for all to see if it was so secretive? You wanted to know what happened? Well here you are:

Spoiler:

I honestly feel like I'm a mute and nobody is listening. You can argue this point [free speech suppression] until you're blue in the face but it won't change the fact that, well, you're wrong. Sorry.

Years
  • My personal ire with you grows along with the passage of time. The reason for this ire is that you have proven to me that you do not and will not read actual sources and prefer your information to be second hand a la telephone game.

I didn't know you were a wizard! Is the magical ability to know exactly what someone has or hasn't looked at something I could learn? I imagine being omniscient could be a lot of fun.

You have berated me in the past for being wrong yet hadn't taken the time to actually sort through documents from the source. This seems more of the same to me.

In my defense, you're frequently wrong.
    As for not taking the time to sort through things? I do my research. The closest to that you could possibly be right about me doing is on occasion forgetting to go back and reply to a post which I think is somewhat considerable because I've got plenty of other things to worry about.

This is not a violation of any sort whatsoever. Pretending that it is will never make it so. If you are so against this, as you say you are, then you should have been, and still should be, embittered at the Obama administration for doing much of the same thing. I have given examples of this earlier and posted a starting source.

Last I checked, the first amendment includes freedom of the press.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

OH LOOK! Still there.

Please tell me how blocking the major, reputable outlets (...and buzzfeed) that post actual facts instead of the Trump-accepted alternatives from a press briefing whilst constantly putting out anti-media propaganda against any organisation that isn't in the pocket of the right wing isn't infringing on that amendment. The Trump administration is very obviously trying to control what the media are putting out to create misinformation. If you honestly believe that's okay... I honestly don't have words for that.

Since I am suspicious that you'll follow through, as I am basing this on learned behaviour on your part, I'm not going to hold my breath. You have proven to me that you're willing to disrespect me by not actually reading original sources i.e. not 'secondhand', and discounted me using snapshot information. If you're unwilling to play the game, please do your best to avoid it.

I have some friendly advice for you. Don't try and debate by making personal attacks. It doesn't help your case, it just makes you look like an ass. You don't know what I've looked at, you don't know what research I've done. You're being condescending and making assumptions about things you know nothing about. That doesn't help your case either.

I've read sources. I get the feeling though you won't be happy unless those sources are the typical Trump-approved, alt-right/right-wing propaganda machines that do nothing but create an epidemic of misinformation.

I have addressed this above. The gaggle is not entitled to anyone. If you're not on the list, you're not getting in the club. The gaggle was an opening, an opportunity if you will. Not a right. It is a privilege to be able to draw first blood (get the scoop). I don't feel that it's a right to get to go to a gaggle. Had they been barred from the actual press conference they may have had an actual foothold, but they don't, so they won't. I'll gamble that they talk about this occurrence for three weeks tops.

You could argue that it's a privilege sure, but handpicking the groups that have access to ensure that the biggest media outlets that aren't kissing up your regime's ass don't have access flies in the face of everything that the first amendment stand for and makes it pretty damn clear there's little to no transparency in the Trump administration.

On top of that, can we stop pretending "But... but Obama did!" is in any way a counterpoint. I don't give a damn which president it is. If they're suppressing the media and intentionally misinforming the public, it's wrong. I don't agree with any political figure from anywhere on the political spectrum doing that. I'm a human being not some left-wing, programmed automaton. Here's the deal though, Obama is not the president right now, Trump is. So stop trying to put up a smokescreen. Trump is the one in power. Trump is the one running a government that suppresses the press, ignores the constitution and lies to the public.

There's not some anti-Trump conspiracy going on here. Just because I don't buy into Trump's victimization narrative or whatever doesn't mean I don't do my research, it means I've done my research and I've drawn different conclusions to you. Trump is a terrible president and he's doing whatever he can to prevent people from reporting that. He's doing everything in his power to make sure the only media people listen to is the media with a heavy right wing/pr-Trump bias. That is all there is to this.

Back