• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Who are your favourite B/W characters?

The Red Chain

I don't have a specific favorite of this generation, but I can say that I appreciate all of the main characters being so three dimensional in-game.

Before, a gym leader was a gym leader. Now it feels they have just that bit more of a push in the character department.
    They aren't just there to lose and give you the badge anymore, and they actually do something in game.. this goes for like.. all of them. <3

They don't just talk to you and "develop" through their words. They have actions and even contribute their part more closely to the storyline than the rest of the gym leaders in the past games ever did.
    Sure, they contributed a tiny bit in the past, but only a couple did before. All of them do their part in some way in these games.

It really helps get a feel of B&W to me. I love all the characters. <3

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Kamitsure and Touko!!! <333

I didn't want to know about the Gym Leaders, I saw the leak when the games just came out but dismissed their images though I still remember them, but when y'all put them in your signatures, it's hard for me not to know about them. I became drawn to Kamitsure, especially after a piece of fan-art I saw on someone's siggy, I'd seen others but this one was good. To add to it, the character descriptions by Ken Sugimori came out and it said that she was based on models and how robotic they look, how win is that? Just an awesome character right there. However, if her Gym is where I think it is, it would have been better suited in this other place that fits better with the "model" aspect of her character better, even though the other place seems more "electric" as her Gym type and goes with the "robotic" description. Sorry if that just spoilered it for anyone.

I want to know more about Touko. Like what she was based on besides "people I saw on the streets" and I want to know her age, and height, to see if we're compatible as I'm really tall, 6ft or maybe slightly over now :( And I'm only 15. The mum's design is really cool too, I want to see her Sugimori art if there will be one. Touya has a cool design also. And don't get me started on N... he's just awesome fullstop.

Great work Game Freak, absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    From an interview on Nintendo Dream:

The protagonists:
    Older compared to the protagonists in other Pokemon games who are around 10, 11.
    Male protagonist was drawn by Sugimori to be cooler/hotter looking than past male leads.

Prof. Araragi and her dad:
    In earlier designs, Araragi was a fat middle-aged man and his dad was an old man, an aesthetically bad combination.
    Thus after complaints from staff, Sumigori changed Araragi to a woman and her dad to look younger.
    Araragi is modeled after women working in NY.

Cheren:
    Designed to look like an intelligent guy who's earnest and inflexible.
    His jacket is made to look like one worn by class presidents to emphasize this.

Bell:

A girl that does everything at her own pace. Ditzy and not exactly stylish.
    Design to give off a "round feel", as female characters in BW are mostly "sharp."
    She's especially designed to be the opposite of the female lead, who has a sharp feel to her.

Makomo:
    She's older than she looks but calls herself "the dreaming maiden." Roughly the same age as Araragi.
    Mostly there as a guide to Game Sync, and so her overworld pixel is a reused/remodel of a female scientist character.
    Dreamy eyed as if she's going to drift away, daydreaming.

N:
    Shows the dangerous side of being a genius.
    Artistic-looking and almost androgynous, he looks like the male lead in some aspects.
    A straightforward "hot male" but deliberately shifted away from looking normal.
    Kageyama mentions that N's musical theme is a "fragile music box."

Gerchis:
    Weird. Weird, eerie atmosphere, weird and eerie clothing. Over all a strange, strange man.
    Team Plasma and their banners are designed after knights in the middle ages who served their kings.

Sanyo Trio:
    Despite being triplets, if they looked the same it'll be boring.
    Thus their hairstyles were designed to look like the types of Pokemon they'll use.
    But apart from their hairstyle, the clothing isn't anything special as not to deviate from the image of a waiter.

Aloe:
    One word: big momma.
    An African-American woman who encompasses motherhood, and an overall reliable mom.
    Her apron serves as both a symbol of motherhood and her job as an archaeologist.

Artie:

Sugimori was asked to design a cool young man who's also an artist.
    After some thought, only his hairstyle was done so Sugimori asked female employees what they see as good qualities in a man.
    Eventually he settled on Artie which we see now.

Kamitsure:
    Has long legs compared to others, since she's a model.
    Because a fashion models job is to walk emotionless on a runway, turn, then walk back, she's designed to look android-like.
    We imagined that she'll be interested in music so we gave her headphones, in return the headphone cables further emphasize her machine-like appearance.

Yaakon:

A mine baron and a CEO. Inspired and modeled after Japanese who traveled to the US to pursue the American dream.
    Dressed as a cowboy, since he tamed the frontiers of a country that was new to him.
    Designed to be the opposite of Kamitsure, and so is short and tough looking.
    He's a busy man who wants to get business done his way, so is drawn holding a phone.

Fuuro:
    Was originally designed as a "big sis" type of character in charge of an all-male crew of airfield workers.
    However the "big sis" character type was deemed too out of fashion, and instead she became a cute perky teenager.
    Her sexy clothing is mostly what is left over from Fuuro 1.0.
    The ball pouch on her thighs are inspired from military issue magazine pouches.

Extra info regarding the leads:
    N was designed before the protagonists, so the leads were given caps to match N, not the other way around.

As for the female lead, her short pants came automatically to Sugimori after the cap idea.
    After this stage he studied girls on the streets to see what could work well with her cap and short pants.

From here the male lead was designed, to be similar looking to the female lead.
    The DP/RS male lead had short hair to match their tame/energetic fashion. However this time around the male lead has rather long hair to reflect his choice of clothes.

Last edited:

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    I like adeku because he looks like the jiraiya of pokemon lol

Waaay too young for my liking. I keep mistaking her for the female trainer you start with :/ I just don't see that 'mother-ness' when looking at her. I liked all the mums until now. They had that motherly look to them.

Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2011
    I like Belle the best because of her personality in the game. right when you least expect it here she comes with something to say and then strait into battle she's great.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Love Kamitsure. Definitely my favorite 5th gen character. I can't wait to see what she's like in the anime, and what her English name will be. Her design is great, and I can't get enough of those earphones and plugs! They're so cool haha. N and the two protagonists have some cool, stylish designs. Really hope they make an appearance in the anime. I can't say I really took a liking to any of the male trainers this time around though, except maybe Adeku, who is pretty awesome and is close to being the coolest Champion in my opinion (Cynthia still being my favorite <3.)

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Lol, none of the characters really stand out or impress me... maybe I'll have to wait to play the games but as of now I dont care anyone more than the others.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    What if they change N's name to another letter, or even give him a full name (though there is a rumor that his full name will be revealed in the third version game meaning that he will still have a one letter name in Black and White's English versions). But what if they change his name to Y, or D or even... Q!?!?!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I love all of Team Plasma including N and Geechisu, from what I know of them, they are great characters with complex lives and goals.
    I also like all the new gym leaders as they look awesome :D!

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2012
    What do you think about the new character designs?

I don't know if this thread has been done before but this is a thread discussing the designs of the new trainers that you select at the beginning of the game. What do you like and what you not like about them?

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Merged with characters discussion, mainly because of:

Or alternatively, what do you think of Touya and Tokou, the two protagonists and their designs?

With people discussing other aspects of them, too. :)

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I want Touya and Touko's English names!!!

He's called Ninty in Nintendo Power though, probably Nintendo default name.
    I doubt we will find out untill the games come out, kinda like Lyra (only that name was leaked). Im pretty sure we will have to judge by default names too, considering the other gender you didn't choose doesn't appear in the game.

Back