• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who are your HM Slaves?

Houndoomed

Battle Master
Years
  • We all have those pokemon who are just destined to help us get around the region, I used to try to incorperate the hm moves into my top team but Surf and Rockclimb seem to be the only two moves worth using in battle.

I use the following when I go exploring what about you?

Steelix
    Steelix.png

Cut
    Rock Smash
    Strength
    Rock climb

Tropius
    tropius.png

cut
    fly
    defog

Wailord
    dpffa321.png

Surf
    Dive
    Whirlpool
    Waterfall

Zeus

Last edited:

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Well I did have a Wailord like that in generation IV that had those same exact moves. I also have a Psyduck with Surf, Dive, Waterfall and Flash and the most commonly known Pokemon to be an HM slave: Bibarel (in both my Pokemon Platinum and Pearl versions) and she has Cut, Surf, Strength and Waterfall.

:t354:TG

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
  • In Pokemon Black

I had a spare Dragonite that I transferred over from Diamon

It has Cut, Surf, Strength, and Fly

Maka Chop

【・ヘ・?】
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2013
    I don't use HM slaves a lot, but in White I have a Herdier that knows Strength, Dig, and Surf.

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2017
    Usually Gyarados, because most of the HMs are water typed. Makes for a nice Wildfighter, too.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Well I usually hold them in PC and when I need them, that's when I switch one of my Pokemon who occurs to be a bit ahead in levels. I try to catch Geodude who can do the caves stuff, or water types like Gyarados or Lapras, whoever I can catch my eye on first to do all the Water HM's. Fly- Depends if I have a flying type in my party or not. If not, just any flying time I see in my box.

Years
  • In most of my games, Golduck served as a HM Slave while Fly is the reason I always have at least one Flying-type Pokemon on my team.

Bibarel, Swanna and Pelipper also make good HM Slaves.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Pelliper's my main HM slave for the most part but I had a Braviary know Strength and Fly in my White game.

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
    Years
  • I only use the Pokemon that have a "reputation" of being a HM slave. Bidoof, for example. I wouldn't want to use it on a better Pokemon, such as Braviary. ;_;

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • In Emerald, I'd have to say my favourite HM slaves were Linoone and Tropius. I can't really remember who my other HM slaves were in other games.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2011
    For diamond and platinum i always used bibarel. It could learn just about all of the HMs.

Years
  • I used Zigzagoon in Generation 3, while IV and V I use Psyduck for the Water-based moves and someone else for the rest (I'll have to check later)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I don't usually use HM slaves (I'd rather spread them throughout my team and just use the Move Deleter later), though when I'm forced to it's usually a Water type since there are so many water-based HMs and Surf is the only decent one.

Red Gyarados in G/S/C/HG/SS is a specific example. With them I'll usually just whip them out of storage to get me through a specific area, then box them when I get to the next town... I never have a "permanent" HM slave on my team as I prefer to train complete teams of six.

Which is why HMs mess me up in the first place. But I'd still rather have them on my main team as opposed to giving up a slot in my team for a dedicated HM slave.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Currently on my Emerald run it's Nincada. He can learn Flash and Cut so I'm good. Usually it's whatever Pokemon I can catch early and that can learn at least 3 HM's. Usually they are Cut, Rock Smash, Defog, Waterfall, Dive etc Surf and Fly are the only HM's I'll allow my non-slave Pokemon to learn. :)

Infernal_Storm

Blazing Hero
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2012
    In the gen 3 games, I would always have a Tentacruel and a Tropius handy as they learn all the HMs. In later games, I would often use a Linoone as they have Pickup and can learn a ton of HMs.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I've never really used HM Slaves. The closest I came was teaching all the Water HMs in Sapphire to the Water critter I ended up using... but that's about it. I have a tendency, especially early in the games, to spread out the HMs so that it's not really a big deal that one move has been replaced by, say, Cut or something. When the Move Deleter comes into play, all the better! The idea of taking a spot out of a team just for a 'slave' just seems like a waste, even though I understand the underlying rationale behind it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2012
    It's usually either one for the start of the game or one for this specific purpose, like Bibarel or a hacked Mew
    But lately, when I don't use my starter, I use Oshawott as an HM Slave

Markichuuuuu

YouTube LP'er :3
    Years
  • Well, in my Ruby Version Nuzlocke Challenge I'm doing right now, I just caught a second Zigzagoon and named it Tituba so I'll have something for Cut, Surf, etc. later down the line.

Thumbs up if you get the reference. :)

Back