• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who cares about the apparent radiant velocity of the Andromeda Galaxy?

The Void

hiiiii
Years
  • So I was sharing with someone about (theoretical) physics, the thing I'm so passionate about. After I was done explaining, she asked me, "No offense, but who cares? What use is terminal velocity in everyday life?" I was a bit taken aback by this, but nevertheless explained of course.

Has anyone ever told you something you love (your course, your job, your hobbies, etc.) was useless? How did you feel after?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'm an English major. I hope I don't have to expand more on people telling me my passion is useless.

The most frustrating for me is when it actually is relevant and people fail to see it. I notice the nuances in what people are saying, point out exactly what that means, and then they're like "Oh, English major, I didn't mean that, so I didn't say it!" Yeah, you said it, just because you're not knowledgeable in the English language doesn't mean you didn't say it. URGH.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I've been told that the degree I was planning to get was useless because it wouldn't lead to any jobs. They were right, but it's still irritating anyway - I don't subscribe to the belief that something has to lead to a career for it to be useful.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • it's not exactly the same but I frequently get stuff like "you only like the music/movies/books you like to be different" and "why do you like such pretentious hipster things?" ;________;

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I'm studying gunsmithing and I have a passion for making clothes and baked goods... so I have yet to find someone who believes any of those are useless, lol.

Well, I mean, I used to get a lot of flak for getting into dressmaking. Apparently, with so many clothing stores out there it was a waste of time for me to pursue.. Sure, that made me feel like crap at first. :c
    But it never took much more than a brief explanation that those stores don't generally cater to my body type, and I want clothes that fit without spending an arm and a leg, for them to drop it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Yeah a lot of people tell me that the things I really enjoy doing or just like in general are pointless. This is pretty true. But when you think about anything in the grand scale of things then everything is pointless. Most things have no meaning or importance unless people put importance on it and most important things are fueled by money which really has no meaning or true value unless you let it and just about everyone does.

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • I don't really remember anybody telling me something like that. Maybe I just don't pay attention to useless criticism.

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
  • Yeah, I've had people tell me that some of the things I love to do the most are pointless. Looking at it objectively, I agree. I'm not really too bothered when they say things like that, because a) that's just their opinion, and b) they just mean it's of no use in, you know, life in society. However, subjectively, I don't see these things as pointless no matter what people say. Because, as Virgo said, most things don't have meaning unless people put importance on it. So if I put importance on the things I love to do, they do have meaning to me. And that's all I need.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I get that sometimes, and I just tell them to go away and let me do my own thing. Why should I let people I usually barely know get in the way of what I like doing?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Simple-minded, unimaginative people amuse me. "I can't get a job with my knowledge? Well then, I'll just start my own company and you can come work for me instead!"

Mind you I was a computer programmer in college. Plenty of job opportunities throughout the world (I've received offers from India, despite living on the other side of the planet). Too bad I came to hate sitting in front of the screen for that long.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • I've never got told off like that...

...actually, never mind. I just remembered that I will never get my chance to go to an Astronomy Faculty for college because my parents deemed it useless.

Yeah, apparently Astronomy is useless, eh? Well, I guess those Astronomers that I see on TV talking about meteoroids and asteroids, calculating whether they will crash on Earth or not, are useless. Or maybe space journeys and whether mankind can walk on other planets in future. They're not thanks to astronomers, apparently. .3.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Oh, not really. I don't have a passion that I overt directly to other people.

So, what is the ARV of Andromeda?

Peter Quill

Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw
    Years
  • So I was sharing with someone about (theoretical) physics, the thing I'm so passionate about. After I was done explaining, she asked me, "No offense, but who cares? What use is terminal velocity in everyday life?" I was a bit taken aback by this, but nevertheless explained of course.

Has anyone ever told you something you love (your course, your job, your hobbies, etc.) was useless? How did you feel after?

I'm a Physics major and I get that a lot ;-; (especially from high school friends, they don't like it when I explain science stuff to them). I also hate it when relatives ask me what good is this (the thing I'm studying) is for me. Well, what matters is that my parents support me.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    When someone asks you what good something is that you care about respond: What good is that cigarette? if they smoke or if they don't you could get deep / depressing and just say What good is anything we care about if we're just going to die?

DLA

This is my user title. I'm working on it.
    Years
  • I just...
    Sort of...

Walk away...I guess?
    I dunno.

Video games are pointless, eh?
    Well, then what about this
    ENTIRE WEBSITE?

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I've been told I'm useless...but I don't love myself.

I've been told that video games were useless...which they might be when you have to support yourself financially...but needless to say nobody tells me my video games are useless anymore.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • Well I am a St. Louis Blues fan. I am reminded of that everyday, so yes I have experienced that before.
    Just yesterday I was going on about some of the rumors about the Blues acquiring a second line center with a Cardinals fan. He said "Who cares? The Blues aren't going anywhere anyways, just watch the Cardinals." It got pretty heated after that.

Years
  • Kind of related, someone once told me that they thought tennis shouldn't be considered a sport. This particular person outweighed me by about 200 pounds, and sat on the bench every football game because he wasn't nearly good enough to make the line up for our high-school team. On the other hand, I play for the varsity tennis team as their line three. Needless to say, I was appalled by his idiocy. :[

Back