• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Who did you choose?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, we've had two characters to choose from as our player, ranging between May and Brendan.

From the two, May was arguably more known among fans, as she had played a major role in-anime by travelling with Ash, accompanying him on his journey throughout Hoenn region. As for Brendan, he did not make much appearances, sadly, but nonetheless, was still liked by many.

So, which character did you wind up selecting, personally, and why? What did you name them? What were some things that you liked and disliked about May and Brendan? If you'd gotten any chance to change anything about these two, what would it be?

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I chose Brendan, and changed his name to my name, Brandon.

I liked his character more then previous characters because he had a cool white, spiky haircut.....

Years
    I played as the female character (May) because I am actually female myself. However, I accidentally named her Terra, probably because I was just too excited to play the game at the time.

Most of the time I usually always prefer the female character over the male anyway, so yeah it's not all bad for me.

Kelton2

Yes, That One
    Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2015
    Brendan, because I'm a boy. I named him Kelton- because that's my name.

I'm boring, huh?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    The first time I played Sapphire as a girl and I used my real name, and the second time I played Emerald I chose the boy and I think I picked a random name like James.

Years
    I was May and named myself May because.. she's May! Although I didn't like her overworld sprite too much I still wanted to play as her since I loved her character in the anime and I was female myself. Nowadays I name her Janna (given that it's my real name) when I select her to play as. :')

So hard to see the overworld sprite as not having a big butt/hunched back lol. I know that's just her bag but it really does look weird. Would definitely change that.

Reactions: Sun

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
    I've always chosen May as I didn't really like how plain Brendan's overworld sprite looked, and because I'm female (though that's not really a good reason but w/e). I usually either named her May or Amanda because she is May and I am Amanda. obvious

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    As for me, I wound up selecting May in my first run of Pokémon Ruby, as I was generally quite a huge fan of her back then. As for name, I chose Ashley. It's not her real name, I know, but it is mine, haha. For second and third runs, I chose Brendan, if I remember correctly. In Emerald, most play-throughs were with May.

Years
    I chose Brendan because I'm Brendan, and I named him Brendan because he's Brendan and I'm Brendan, so why wouldn't I name him Brendan? Brendan.

...actually, to be honest, I didn't even know that I shared his default name until months later, and only named him Brendan because of the tradition of choosing the male character, and naming him after myself. Even if he had some random name, I still would've picked him over May, even though I do like her design in the 3rd gen games.

Sirfetch’d

I originally played as Brendan and named him Chase after me, but I have played as May a lot as well and really like her a lot! These are my two favorite protagonists of all time c:

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2014
    Only cool looking protagonists untill gen5... I always go with male characters.

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
    Years
    When the first time i played, i chose Brendan as my character but i didn't manage to finish it and leave the game for a year. After that, i replay back my game and then i choose May because i feel bored using male character all the time.

Years
    I chose to play as Brenden, and instead of naming him Mike after myself, I kept his name as Brenden. Not sure why, just did lol. I like Brenden more than May. I think the anime version of May turned me off to her lol.

Years
    I chose May, mostly to choose same gender character as me, and I named her Jess because that is my name and that's what I name all my trainers in every pokemon game I play, regardless of who I pick.

Honestly I was tempted to pick Brendan, but nah. I went with May.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Whenever I play Sapphire I pick May and Brendan for the Ruby version, I love them both, haha!

Back