• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who do you stan?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I've found that a lot of people on the internet stan for an artist, or a band. Stanning means to pretty much stalk news and other types of updates about someone you're a fan of. It's usually done for female pop artists and results in a lot of stan wars between stans of various artists. So who do you stan for, and why? If you don't stan for anyone, who would you stan for if you ever felt the desire?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Used to do it with a couple of different groups such as 2NE1, YUI, BIGBANG, and some other Asian groups/artists, but now I rarely do. I used to do it because I was pretty much obsessed with their music and I just wanted to know more about them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I've never heard of this term! I don't avidly stalk anybody simply because I forget and I'm usually on the hunt for new things instead. The only twitters and news updates I do somewhat regularly check are Kanye West's and Janelle Monáe's; and I'm constantly on the hunt for updates about The Mars Volta too.

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    When I was 14 I was obsessed with System of a Down. Knew everything about them, based my backwards "political views" on their ideology, stalked forums and could pretty much recite their discography song-by-song.

Then I grew up, got a life, and started appreciating music for itself. Discographies & tour dates near me are all I keep track of these days. I avoid learning about the artists themselves (unless they're friends already, but few of my friends play the stuff I really love) because I'll inevitably be disappointed that they don't match their music, and that colors my perception of it.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I too have never heard of this term before, at first I thought you misspelled "stand" haha.

The only time I've ever done this sort of thing was when my favorite band hadn't released a brand new album in about 7 years, so I was visiting their online communities and websites almost every day. Now that the album's out, I can't say I frequent these places all that much.

Ayselipera

I used to really go out of my way to stalk Kanye West and anything pertaining to Damon Albarn when I had an obsession a long time ago. Now though I'm pretty casual and I'll just happen to stumble upon information or someone will inform me without me doing the asking!

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Beyoncé, I seriously own every Beyoncé song in existence and on the internet. She is amazing & I've followed her since she debuted with Destiny's Child 15 years ago.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I've never done this for anyone... I really don't care about celebrities. =/

I did spend awhile trying to figure out what the members of High and Mighty Color were doing after they broke up... but I don't think that really counts.

Years
    Oh, internet. You and your funny words for things.

I don't think I've ever done this. If I'm interested enough by an artist I'll look up their bio or discography, but that's about it. I'm too fickle to stay a raving fan of anyone for too long.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I...

wat

If you don't stan for anyone, who would you stan for if you ever felt the desire?
    Hans Zimmer, perhaps. Certainly someone more like that, than a pop-culture artist, at least.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Until the OP mentioned it to me in passing one time, I'd never heard of the phrase. I guess the closest I could think would be something like 'fangasm' which is a word I love but don't say enough of... time to change that!

Anyhoo, there's no one I really 'stan', per se. Most of the cultural people I really like have had really diverse careers and have messed up numerous times along the way. Film directors like Wong Kar-wai, the Coen Brothers and even Charlie Kauffman to a certain extent with Synechdoche. Vera Farmiga and Tony Leung are my favourite actors, but they've been in their own piles of turd so that I don't instantly look forward to stuff starring them. I guess the few things I unobjectively love are the shows Community and Louie. Can I 'stan' them?

Posting Binge: 9/40

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    My friends stan Lady Gaga. I never really got in to her...

I used to stan Taylor Swift, hehehe. I love her music<3
    But today? NOFX, Minor Threat, any punk/rock band really.

loldawg

Golf Wang swag
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2011
    heh people don't know where stan originated. cute.

I'm a total stan for Ariana Grande. she adorable

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    No one. I cannot stand stans. They annoy the hell out of me, spazzing out over the most annoying things, getting on your case about people you could really care less about, shoehorning their favourite into any conversation, and refusing to see any sort of flaw in anything their favourite does.

I really, really hope I never drop to that level. :'( But if I do, I hope it'll be over something obscure so there are less people stanning the same person/thing so I'll be encouraged less, haha.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I don't stan for anyone, but stans are amusing. lol If I had to stan for an artist...probably Kings of Leon. I'm already a creepy weird fan that's obsessed with making sure they stay number one on my last.fm and I have all their songs on my iTunes. I won't remove them from my iPod ever, even the ones I don't listen to anymore. So yeah. Celebration and Cold Desert, that I don't really like, are chilling out on my iPod just because they're by Kings of Leon. lol :[

Back