• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who do you think is Ash's best rival?

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
  • It has to be the one that you grew up with as your "best rival" Gary. The reason why I say this is because Gary had many years to learn Ash's strengths and weaknesses, unlike Paul. But I believe that Paul is the strongest Rival, but strongest doesn't mean that you are the best.

:t354:TG

Years
  • Paul, he was the reason why I enjoyed Diamond and Pearl.

I felt so sorry for that Chimchar of his that eventually joined Ash. I mean Chimchar looks better with Ash.

Tomandgreen

The Original Copy-Cat
    Years
  • Gary. Obvious choice. He is the one rival ash still has not fully conquered (he came back after his silver conference defeat better than ever) and the only one with tons of the ladies. Paul was a jerk AND uncool. And shooti? Well..... He's pretty lame if you ask me.

TheOrangePichu

Currently working on new hack
    Years
  • GARY MFING OAK! There's actually a good couple of reasons besides the awesome memes that surround him.

1. IMO He is the only character in pokemon to go through character development and actually "grow up" unlike his rival.

2. His pokemon do not restart at every region.

3. He has an awesome personality that nobody else has in pokemon.

Infact, I wouldn't mind a Pokemon Series based on Gary.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • Who do you think is Ash's best rival?

Obligatory Gary Oak troll pic. Anyways I don't think there is a "best" all the rivals have their unique quirks about them. Gary is and egotistical ******* at first and then develops into a friendly rival like Harrison/Tyson(although they are temp rivals). I love Gary for his personality, I have got to say he has one of the best personalities in the show much less his counterpart Blue. And he is smart too boot, being that he is now the next Professor Oak. Paul from what I have seen in DP seems to be the exact opposite of Ash, and brings out the best in him. Where Ash it kind Paul is not, where Ash is friendly Paul is a jerk. Paul seems more of a rival in terms of battling and just doesn't give a damn what you think of him and is willing to win at any cost with disregards to his own pokes. Secondary rivals like Barry, Morrison are just meh. It's either Gary or Paul for me.
    You beat me to it (with the picture). Or are you..... D:<

Anyways, Gary is definitely the best rival. Many of you are saying Paul was the best... I haven't seen the whole second half of DP series, but to me he came as a pure jerk... Maybe things have changed, but I don't think Paul can compete with Gary.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    MR GARY OAK!
    He is extrremely cocky and he knows Ash like forever already. He should know all his weakness by now. They also started their adventure on the very same day.

Years
  • I barely recall this Paul guy D: *had to google him*
    Mine would probebly be Gary :3 though I also very much liked Silver <3
    I found the one from Ruby/Sapphire annoying and awfull D:

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • People know Gary was Ash's best rival.Paul is in second place.

That sounds like you are trying to throw your opinion at us as a fact when its clearly an opinion. It's not common knowledge. Someone that just started to watch the anime in Sinnoh would probably debate otherwise, they can be like Gary Oak who?

:t354:TG

Sire

Making Flareon Own You
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    I'd have to say Gary, just because he was always one step ahead of Ash.

But I quite like Richie, as well. No reason why, though.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I'd have to say Paul, with Gary coming in really close behind them. I liked Paul ever so slightly better because of how much they contrasted. His care for Pokemon was unheard of, and his last bit of character development was exciting, to me anyways. I also thought Gary was too much of a friend to Ash to be a high and mighty rival to him, but then again, being a friend to a rival only made it more competitive. Both did make Ash extremely irritated whenever they met, with Gary not as much in the Johto arc. So, I'm stuck but I'll just go with Paul because I love his Pokemon.

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
    Years
  • It simply comes down to Paul and (Early)Gary Mother<BLEEP!>ing Oak. Now then, while both show some very similiar personalities, there is a difference.

Paul, on one end, simply didn't want to be second place. He wanted to be the best, and he wasn't gonna have ANYTHING stand in his way. This is one reason why I hope The Pokemon Company bring Paul back. He is simply Ash's complete opposite... Kinda like Ying and Yang... Heck, Ash, for a while, simply became better just because of Paul.

Gary... Let me just say this: There is a reason why people call him Gary Mother<BLEEP!>ing Oak. No matter what Ash did, Gary was first. Get a badge? Psh. Gary probably already had three. Get six badges? Gary already had eight. Get all eight badges? He had freakin' TEN! O.O He even caught more Pokemon than Ash did, and, in my opinion, had one of the coolest Pokemon teams ever in the series. Heck, the Charizard vs. Blastoise battle in the Johto saga is still ranked as number three in my Top Five Matches of the Series.

So... Who wins? Both. ^.^

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
    Years
  • Best Rival? Whose reclaimed victory over Ash? Gary MFING Oak, Sure Paul is a strong trainer and all but Gary's the only rival to re-beat Ash after losing, therefore he is the best.
    Only problem is Gary's voice in the dub is annoying as hell..

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • I pick Paul, he is cool, tough, and a trainer for good. He wasn't so kiddy like Gary. He was rather serious and complex too. Loved him so much, he had a very strong personality and at least...he gave Ash a reason to lose, he is in fact a trainer as good as Ash and maybe better. I like the way they portrayed him and the way he was the exact opposite of Ash and how both of them related to each other in the amazing story line. About Gary.....Well, he is a heck of a rival, a classic random rival to be exact. I didn't consider him the best since I didn't feel intimidated by Gary's strenght as I did with Paul 's Devastating power. So, The Rivalry wasn't too harsh, it was rather friendly. Paul was strong, powerful, a nemesis and creating a strong rival, the strongest I've seen until know. That's why I am kinda teased how Ash loses to Trip, at least Paul was strong enough to create a logical reason for Ash to lose...

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • I pick Gary because he was a cool trainer and a badass one at that.He cared about his pokemon and he can kick Paul's ass anyday.

Its just the way you love rival and my way is different too. As I said I have respect and love for Gary as a Rival..but FOR ME AND ONLY MY OPINION...I Liked Paul as an Enemy Rival just the same way you love Gary. All of us are stating opinions so I shall not forget that I shall keep my opinion to myself and not force u into it...

Back