• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who do you think is Ash's worst rival?

Worst Rival?

• Gary?

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Paul

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Trip

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
Years
  • Who do you think was the most evil or mean rival?

I think paul is the worst because he releases pokemon that are weak that can be strong when they evolve later on.

Discuss.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Most likely Paul. I hated the way he treated his Pokemon. Trip comes in close because it may be implied that he doesn't like people from other regions.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Tie between Gary and Paul for me. Paul was cruel, Gary was a show off. He annoyed me with his attitude and freaky amount of Pokemon :'(

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Wait just a second? Which one is it worst or most evil? I mean, being evil doesn't necessarily make them the worst at all, I think it'll make them even better.

I wouldn't exactly call Paul weak, he just had different meathods, they may have been harsh, but he obviously learnt from that anyway.

Though in terms of the worst. Ritchie would have to be just that. I mean, there wasn't much development between the two if you ask me, they had some episodes before their match, but overall and after that episode in Johto, they've had no interaction, and haven't really worked around that rivalry. He was aslo too similar to Ash.

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I quite like them all, actually, but I do find Paul to be the more irritating. Particularly since he releases "weak" Pokémon, like someone else has said.

Years
  • Paul gets the gold trophy when you bring up cruelty. He's let go of several Pokemon for losing a few battles and is the anime version of a hardcore WiFi battler (lol).

Title is a little misleading though - seems like you're asking which rival people thought was the least interesting.

AquaticWartortle

Teh Best Wartortle
    Years
  • I think Paul was Ash's worst rival. He released Pokemon that could be useful, he didn't treat them well & was an ignorant type & I thought that he was just the worst.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    I would say Conway was his worst Rival, but since he isn't on the list and you meant most evil, I would say Paul

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Ok, I'd say Trip for now. Whats even happened for them to be rivals any ways? Nothing, hes just a moron who thinks some one from Kanto is stupid, I'd like Gary to come and say a thing or two to him.

Niriate

Rivalist
    Years
  • I actually really liked Paul. He was a fresh change from the goodie-two-shoes that Ash had been for the past 10 seasons. It's also why I like Iris, because they actually put Ash in his place and give him a dose of much needed reality.

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2012
    I loved Gary. He was pompous but he was hilarious with his squad of girls and teasing attitude.
    Paul was boring... bland as stucco... therefore IMO the worst.
    Trip is kind of a bastard... I dont like him but at least he's interesting. lol

Years
  • Gary wasn't too bad, but kinda cocky....
    Paul seems to be good challenge, but the way he treat his Pokes is just terrible...
    Trip is a moron...

Worst, for me, is Paul... He reminds me my old rival from Crystal, who also hates "weak" Pokes... I don't like it

Years
  • Paul was the reason I enjoyed the Diamond & Pearl anime.

But one thing I didn't like about him was the way he treated his Pokemon (especially Chimchar).

Paul was a great character but just doesn't have the behavior of a sensible Trainer.

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    Paul was the worst rival ever,he was boring bland and treated his pokemon like crap,then again the Diamond & Pearl series was crap to begin with.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Gary was funny. Too bad he can't kick Ash around anymore, but I liked how he really was the classic rival. Always at least a step ahead, knowing everything, but still somehow competitive.

Worst as in the most evil and cynical? Paul. He practically abused pokemon to train them, but a lot of it was sensible. Just, he didn't execute it correctly. And he released weak pokemon, so that just kind of proves how shallow he was. But he developed nicely out of that phase.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I found Gary to be the most annoying and worst rival. To me, Gary was too much of a show off which I didn't like and the need for girls to be cheering him on sometimes was really annoying to me. Paul, I found very strong even though he was a bad person for the way he treated his Pokemon and I can't say Trip yet because the whole series isn't over yet and it wouldn't be fair to judge him.

:t354:TG

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    I thank god Paul isn't overrated because he is a terrible rival and his character was handled poorly. Gary was worth being a rival and his character was badass since him and Ash were little kids.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    Gary was far more better than Paul. Paul was just extremely selfish, and rude. So I do believe he is the most worst rival ever introduced, I mean he's a bad role model to some young children watching Pokemon. XD

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
  • I can't really see how you can all Hate on Paul yeah he is a massive tool and no one likes him but he is the perfect rival for ash he is the exact opposite of him i honestly think he is the best rival for him. I acctually voted for Gary toward the end of the Jhoto league he became a good rival but for the Kanto region and early Jhoto region he was just an annoying over confident a**

Back