• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who do you think will win the console wars?

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    Wii deserves it but most of the people I know never bother with Nintendo consoles without even looking at them.
    Do you know how many DS's have been sold so far, as well as the rate that they're selling at?

Nintendo's popularity has sky rocketed over the last couple of years. The DS is demolishing the PSP in sales, which can only be interpreted as a positive thing for the Wii. Nintendo made an incredibly bold move with both the DS and the Wii and, so far, that gamble has paid off massively.

I honestly think the Wii is, overall, the best of the three next gen consoles. However, the winner of the console war will come down to one thing - the games. And as long as Nintendo is capable of drawing in the top developers to either bring their best franchises to the Wii or to create new Wii-exclusive franchises then they'll definitely be on to a winner. If not, then they'll really have to rely on their first party games, which hasn't really worked before.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Why don't follow the Next-Gen War in action ?? Here you are...

Take the url and if you want, put them in your signature. They're 3 userbars. And they are updated in real time !! xD
    Because them aren't the real numbers. The 360 has only sold around 3.8 mil systems in the States. And you can bet that the US has the most 360 sells. Because if I remember right the Europe sells is bad, and Japan hates it. So I can't see how the 360 can have over 8.3 mil sells. And they have had to reset the Wii numbers like 2 or 3 times now.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    they'll really have to rely on their first party games, which hasn't really worked before.

Have you played Twilight Princess yet? Or seen the graphics for any of the following:

-Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    -Super Mario Galaxy
    -SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL
    -Pokemon Battle Revolution

The Wiivolution will do quite well with first-party games *coughVIRTUALCONSOLEcough*. Actually, Brawl could probably give it about half a million sales alone, depending on who else gets into it.

Auron

Legendary Guardian
    Years
    I have a doubt...Those userbars I posted were updated ?? I think they should...Maybe I did some wrong, because in another forums, those userbars were in my sig and they updated...

So that's why I say that they update, but yesterday I didn't see any change on them.

PD: I already know that they aren't real numbers, because it's impossible...They are some stadistic numbers.

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    Have you played Twilight Princess yet? Or seen the graphics for any of the following:

-Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    -Super Mario Galaxy
    -SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL
    -Pokemon Battle Revolution

The Wiivolution will do quite well with first-party games *coughVIRTUALCONSOLEcough*. Actually, Brawl could probably give it about half a million sales alone, depending on who else gets into it.
    That's only five games, and I don't really think Pokemon Battle Revolution is going to be a massive hit. And what difference does the graphics of games make anyway?

Yes, Nintendo are, in my opinion anyway, the best developers/publishers in the world, but there is absolutely no way that they'll win the console war solely on their own games. Of the major Nintendo titles, how often will they get released? Once every three or four months? And after they're out, then what? Given how long it's taken them to make Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess, we wont be seeing a sequal to either of them for years. Instead they'll have to rely on titles like Mario Party and the Mario Sports franchises.

Whereas Sony had a load of developers on their side with the PS2 with a hell of a lot more titles available, that's why they won. Sure, a lot of the games were crap but that's besides the point. People have different tastes and people like choice. The more options available then the more enticing it is to people.

Years
    Do you know how many DS's have been sold so far, as well as the rate that they're selling at?

Nintendo's popularity has sky rocketed over the last couple of years. The DS is demolishing the PSP in sales, which can only be interpreted as a positive thing for the Wii. Nintendo made an incredibly bold move with both the DS and the Wii and, so far, that gamble has paid off massively.

I honestly think the Wii is, overall, the best of the three next gen consoles. However, the winner of the console war will come down to one thing - the games. And as long as Nintendo is capable of drawing in the top developers to either bring their best franchises to the Wii or to create new Wii-exclusive franchises then they'll definitely be on to a winner. If not, then they'll really have to rely on their first party games, which hasn't really worked before.
    Sorry didn't mean handhelds when I said that no-one bothers.

Years
    i think the wii will have no chance the PS3 maybe that price is whats killing it the 360 seems to be the best bet but PS3 still has a chance

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    That's only five games, and I don't really think Pokemon Battle Revolution is going to be a massive hit. And what difference does the graphics of games make anyway?

Yes, Nintendo are, in my opinion anyway, the best developers/publishers in the world, but there is absolutely no way that they'll win the console war solely on their own games. Of the major Nintendo titles, how often will they get released? Once every three or four months? And after they're out, then what? Given how long it's taken them to make Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess, we wont be seeing a sequal to either of them for years. Instead they'll have to rely on titles like Mario Party and the Mario Sports franchises.

Whereas Sony had a load of developers on their side with the PS2 with a hell of a lot more titles available, that's why they won. Sure, a lot of the games were crap but that's besides the point. People have different tastes and people like choice. The more options available then the more enticing it is to people.

No, it's completely relevant. Just having a bunch of games doesn't make a superior game system. It's having GOOD games that really matters. People don't really care about choice when the only choices are between watching paint dry or staring at a tree (not literally, of course). A few good games can get people hooked a LOT better than a bunch of trash ones. I've already seen bunches of people who want a Wiivolution for Brawl alone.

As far as the wait, they also have the Virtual Console on their side, and they can also make new first-party franchises...and besides, how often does a new terrific PS2/3 game come out? Every few months. And, considering how FFXIII is going to be a while, and who knows if/when a FFXIV will see the light of day...Nintendo's pretty safe.

falling up+
    Years
    Ichapokemr got it right: its games that make the console. Aside from biased fans as gamers you should be excited for the games that, well, excite you.

Xbox 360
    - Mass Effect
    - Too Human
    - Lost Planet
    - Fable 2

PS3
    - Gran Turismo 5
    - Final Fantasy XIII Compilation

Wii
    - SSBB
    - Zelda
    - Mario Galaxy
    - virtual console stuff

I dont have much time to play games between jobs and school so I only get ones that really cater to me not based on reviews etc. I havent been as excited for a console like the Wii and what it brings to the industry in a long time but that doesnt rule out the other systems. If PS3 works out their launch bugs or Sony shows some humility instead of touting their superior(?) machine I might pick one up, or the 360 has always interested me (I consider it the Dreamcast 3).

I beleive that market share will be divided more evenly this gen:

PS3 - 31%
    Xbox 360 - 34%
    Wii - 35%

Last edited:
    Back