• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who is Ash's Dad?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    You never know. And in the Japanese version of Pokémon... they do things. It is shown. Not explicitly, but still....

CptnSmonge

Pineapple Pirate
    Years
    I remember reading a really old cheat page (it was the nineties--these were freaking everywhere) that had the most outlandish and longest cheats posted on them you know just by reading will never work (pressing A on every tile of Seafoam Islands to find a Mew on the last tile, using an itemfinder 100 times in different places outside of Mt. Moon to get a Togepi... nuff said). One cheat--though I forget how it went--set up a scenario where you walk into your house and Giovanni is there to tell you your mother died, and that he was your father. (lolololololol)

Does Ash look anything like his mom? He could very well be adopted, but usually you would need a spouse to adopt, and it doesn't change the fact Ash has a flesh/blood father out there somewhere. Maybe his father died in an early accident, or maybe he was born out of wedlock. Pokemon doesn't have very dimensional storytelling since it's target audience usually just wanted thirty minutes of some kids running around and weird little animals running around saying weird things (Digimon, Monster Rancher... man I miss Monster Rancher) children don't think that deep about a character.

Still, it's fun speculation. It just might be a storytelling element that not only is Ash out there in the world with little parental guidance, he has no father figure whose expectations he has to live up to, or to seek approval from. Ash might just be a dynamic character who's a self-made man-boy whose own interactions with different people and pokemon created who he is with little bias influence or value passed down from a traditional family. And that's not a bad thing, Ash is a pretty good kid except he's a bit tactless and rude. But he's also a portion of the show's comic relief and now that I think of it it seems like the show itself has less and less to do with Ash Ketchum as it has to do with "The Region of Sinnoh and Stuff that Happens in It." That's a problem that's really been plaguing the show since late Johto League Champions. Even though the show is called Pokemon, it's lost focus on its main protagonist. I mean, come on it's safe to assume he's everybody's favorite character since he's the Mario of the show. I mean, your only other choices who are regulars are Brock, Jessie and James (I can't count Misty, Tracy, Todd, May or Dawn because their position in the show are bi-polar in that they are meant to be either the "supporting female lead" or the third wheel (May's brother--I forget his name--Tracy, Todd, probably more).

But Pokemon could be shaken up a lot if somebody asks the question, "who is Ash's dad," or "what would happen if Team Rocket merged with Team Ash." Pokemon is highly episodic and won't typically maintain a regular plot save for an occasional "Team Bad Guy" special besides the overarching march to the Pokemon league that Ash never seems to win (I might be mistaken, I've really seen maybe 5 percent of every season).

Gee, sorry to go off on such a huge tangent. I guess the short answer is, and I'll say this for fun, Brock is Ash's dad. Ridiculous, eh?

jjnerdful

Never post
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2011
    Precisely, especially given that 5 year olds shouldn't even be capable of bearing children.

Black Prince

±♠ サヨナラ ♠±
    Years
    I say it is Professor Oak.

As I said in an other thread, "Oak" is a family name. And Ash's family name is Ketchum, not Oak. And if it was really the case, Gary would be a family member of Ash's. And he's not.
    And yes, as TheFuturePokemon said, I think Oak is too old to be Ash's father, compared to his mother I mean.
    And also, we already have seen Ash's father. Remember (but if you haven't watched the episode), it was at a volcanic to do something about Moltres, I don't remember well, but we did see Ash's father. He's travelling too, as his son now.

Plus, if Professor Oak was Ash's father, I think the worldwide would already have been aware of it.​

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    And also, we already have seen Ash's father. Remember (but if you haven't watched the episode), it was at a volcanic to do something about Moltres, I don't remember well, but we did see Ash's father. He's travelling too, as his son now.

Do you mean Silver?
    Who is Ash's Dad?

He's never been confirmed to be Ash's father, not even close. Although it has been speculated, but never confirmed. We'll probably never know who Ash's dad is...

CptnSmonge

Pineapple Pirate
    Years
    What episode was that, the guy speculated to be Ash's father? But don't link it here. I just want the season and episode's name.

Years
    Well, no, Oak can't be Ash's father..
    Delia mentions Ash's father and grandfather in the second episode of Pokemon by saying that they'd both be proud of him. The way she describes Ash's father [Ash is the apple of his father's eye rather than Ash was the apple of his father's eye] implies that he's still alive.

But . .
    Where is he? The world may never know XD;

I always liked to think that Giovanni was Ash's father . . just because. :(
    And, you know, Pokemon Live! didsay she dated him..but that was before she met Ash's father..
    Oh, well :[

Hmm, I never knew about that Silver character.. [I didn't really watch much of the Hoenn saga], but..yeah.
    What if he's Ash's and Ritchie's father, and they're really half brothers? XD;

TheFuturePokemon

Natural.....
    Years
    What episode was that, the guy speculated to be Ash's father? But don't link it here. I just want the season and episode's name.

Hmm, I never knew about that Silver character.. [I didn't really watch much of the Hoenn saga], but..yeah.
    What if he's Ash's and Ritchie's father, and they're really half brothers? XD;

1) He's not from hoenn he's from chronicles.
    2) The episode name is the search for the legend episode 18 in chronicles i think.
    3) Read this article I found.

During the episode, much comparison is made between Silver and Ritchie with Silver even noting that Ritchie reminds him of himself when he was younger. Ritchie then goes on to say that the same features are present in ash.
    There are also other unstated similarities between Silver and Ash. His Salamence parallels Ash's Charizard while his Chikorita parallels Ash's Pikachu When he was younger, Silver saw Moltres rather like how Ash saw Ho-Oh in the first episode . Silver actually appears to know of Ash, though there has been no further detail on this so far. As a result, he is now considered to be one of the three main candidates to be Ash's father (the other two being Giovanni and Professor Oak ). It should be noted, however, that his knowledge of Ash could be from watching him on television in Pokemon League Conference , much as max did.

The S

The Reverend
    Years
    I actually had forgotten all about Silver. He was awesome. If any previously revealed character was indeed Ash's father, I'd put money on him. Nothing substantial - it just feels right.

Guest123_x1

I once thought Ash never had a father-like Anakin Skywalker from Star Wars had no father (according to his mother in The Phantom Menace).

As for a 19 year old and 40 year old having kids together-that's actually possible-though not very common. (I hear about such relationships on a certain talk show I won't mention by name here.)

Regardless of all that's been said here, I've said it before and I'll say it again-It's probably not for us to know who Ash's father is. (at least not until they make an episode or movie where someone reveals himself to be the father, but I don't think that's going to happen.)

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
    Years
    In a interview, they said that Ash's Father will be revealed when they feel that ash has matured enough...... He has matured a great deal since the first episode, so i think that he will maybe be revealed next season? (isshu)

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Some FACHTS and some theories for my fellow PCers.

Delia Ketchum is actually the dad. She underwent a LOT of surgery to get to the point she is at now but she is actually the dad.

The real mum on the other hand is a mystery.

Some say it's the Jigglypuff that follows them round, Her sing and dash shows are actually a method of making sure her boy is ok.

Another theory says his real mum is Mrs Caroline of Petalburg City but at that time she wasn't ready for parenthood as her and Norman were a pretty new couple, i mean an illegitimate child would ruin them and their gym ambitions. She sold Ash to a Mr Mime trainer for a Dawn stone and half a bag of Pecha pokeblock. The Mr Mime trainer then had a change of heart (he was planning slave labour) but instead found Mr (now Mrs) Ketchum via his mr mimes telepathic abilities. Ash went on to have a normal life, well kinda.

My final theory on what happened to Ash's mum is not simple, in fact you will have to take this red pill to understand. You of course have the option of the blue pill, if you choose this one you will be left wondering. Will you choose to free your mind?

BLUE PILL
    Spoiler:

RED PILL
    Spoiler:

I hope this was informative for you.

xSunlightx

♥ Sinnoh's Sweatheart ♥
    Years
    I only read the first few comments so sorry if this has already been brought up. But there is a cute book/series/thingy done by Maré Odomo called Letters To An Absent Father. This thread really interests me so I'll come back and read it when I've got more time.

For now enjoy one of my favorite strips...it's just....hhnnngg it's so cute!

Who is Ash's Dad?

Back