• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who is the better Sherlock ?!

Years
  • Hey guys.
    I love the new season Sherlock. And I watched both new age movies of Sherlock Holmes, and therefore here is my question...
    Which one of the two actors is the better Sherlock ?
    Is it Benedict Cumberbatch in the the Programm Sherlock (BBC)

Or is it Robert Downey Jr in the Sherlock Holmes Movies ?

For my part, Benedict is the better actor!
    I love the Series they are so awesome. The way how he acts and how he presents Sherlock is much way better then Robert. In my opinion.
    And even the part of Watson is in the series much way better then in the movies :)

What do you guys say ?

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Benedict just for the sole reason of this picture:
    Spoiler:

However, Watson in the movie is better than in the show in my opinion.

Years
  • Yeah this photobomb was just awesome :D
    But the bomb is totaly different to the roles he normal acts :D

Years
  • I like both Cumberbatch and RDJ, but I think for a modern Holmes I'll go with Jonny Lee Miller from Elementary.

Maybe it's just the format of the show, being a regular length TV series instead of a shorter BBC run or a movie, but this Sherlock seems the most realistic inasmuch as the character can be realistic. I guess it's more the growth and nuances you get from a longer exposure to a character that I like.

Years
  • In my opinion, the movies with Downey Jr are Sherlock in name only - had you called them anything else I would hardly have noticed. I have some major gripes with SE3 of the BBC-serires (that I think did some really bad decisions both story and character wise...), however as a whole this series does a FAR better job of keeping true to the "spirit" of Sherlock.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • New season, you say?? :o This is news to me!

I've never seen Robert Downey Jr.'s portrayal of Sherlock Holmes, so I can't judge 100% fairly, but I just love Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock so much I have a really hard time imagining how Downey could top it!

Years
  • In my opinion, the movies with Downey Jr are Sherlock in name only - had you called them anything else I would hardly have noticed. I have some major gripes with SE3 of the BBC-serires (that I think did some really bad decisions both story and character wise...), however as a whole this series does a FAR better job of keeping true to the "spirit" of Sherlock.

There's quite a lot of dimension to the character of Sherlock in the books and each of the adaptations chooses to focus on one in particular. Sherlock focuses on the part of Sherlock that's can't understand normal people. Elementary focuses on the parts along the lines of Sherlock's addictions and quirky habits. And so on. Each one necessarily leaves elements out, but they all seem pretty true to the "spirit".

Sherlock does have a great aesthetic though.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    As much a I adore RDJ, I must say I appreciate Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock better.

Sherlock Holmes were just action movies. They were fun and I loved watching them, but like Orogenes said, had they been called something else I wouldn't have thought of the great detective, probably. Sure, the movies were set in the right era, but somehow the modern BBC show felt more true to the books. I don't just mean in story, but in how the characters were. That's not necessarily the way to measure which Sherlock was the best one, but since I've read some of the books, I can't help but making the comparison.

All in all, I think RDJ was a bit too energetic and Cumberbatch did a better portrayal.

I can't speak for Elementary, as I haven't watched that.

Years
  • Jonny Lee Miller is the best Sherlock that is from the current generation, in my opinion. He brings a fun, new interpretation to the role. Elementary is a refreshing interpretation. The platonic dynamic between Joan and Holmes is fantastic (and Lucy Liu is flawless).
    But, of course, RDJ is a close second.

and none for bendict cumberbatch, bye!

Years
  • I loved both interpretations that were presented by these two. While I enjoyed Robert's version, Benedict just struck me as more of a Sherlock character than Robert's action infused character. Benedict played the role with more mind games with some action still which is what I would see in a Sherlock description so Benedict wins my vote. I have yet to see Elementary so I can't add any feedback there.

Back