• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who reads Shonen Jump

Kenta-kun

死神
    Years
    Well ya, Naruto is one of the most popular animes right now in japan (& here, for that matter). I've never met one person who's seen it & hasn't liked it

nayana_1120

... ._.;
    Years
    I haven't read Narato. *waits to be struck down*

I read it. My sister gets it every month, and I read it once she's done. I read most of them.
    I love the ads in the margins, LOL. They crack me up.
    Speaking of which, she needs to hurry up and read it... *gurr...*

Kenta-kun

死神
    Years
    One of the few things that annoys me about Jump is that all of its contests r open only to Americans. If a magazine is available in canada, then its contests should be open to canada too

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    You can't watch an anime and say you don't need to read the manga (unless it's DBZ). Often times, the two will be very different, as the manga needs to be adapted to television format. =\ Plus, some parts aren't able to be portrayed properly. I dunno, as much as I'm loving the Naruto anime so far, I still like the manga better. o_O; (Then again, I can't really form a substantial basis for an opinion because I've only seen the first 15 episodes or so. <<)

And yeah, Shonen Jump is using Yu-Gi-Oh!, Dragonball Z and the like to boost their sales. And why not? Regardless of how long ago the series were released in anime form, it's still all the rage. When placed on the cover, the characters are easily recognizable to anyone who has seen the anime and it attracts people to reading the magazine. If you put Naruto on the cover, it wouldn't pull in as many consumers because the anime isn't on TV in the US, and thus, it wouldn't get nearly the exposure needed to sell a magazine. XP SJ relies on its main titles to keep it off the shelves.

Kenta-kun

&#27515;&#31070;
    Years
    Lightning said:
    You can't watch an anime and say you don't need to read the manga (unless it's DBZ). Often times, the two will be very different, as the manga needs to be adapted to television format. =\ Plus, some parts aren't able to be portrayed properly. I dunno, as much as I'm loving the Naruto anime so far, I still like the manga better. o_O; (Then again, I can't really form a substantial basis for an opinion because I've only seen the first 15 episodes or so.

That's where we disagree. The Naruto anime is nearly identical to the manga. The only discernable differance is that the manga is a little bit more graphic. The anime also has little things added here & there that make it funnier (altho i do like the artwork in the manga a lot)

Hakudoushi-kun

Guardian of the Northern Souls
    Years
    anyone read the shonen sunday. they give bits of free manga to read sometimes. Also, does anyone read 'New Type' (i think they give away a free dvd preview every issue)

Kenta-kun

&#27515;&#31070;
    Years
    From least favorite to favorite, here they are, and why I think they're good (or not):

Yugioh= Lame & Boring. Tied for my least favorite Jump manga with DBZ (It was good when it dealt with ancient Chinese, Egyptian, & japanese stuff, but u kno sum1's running out of ideas when they use a yo-yo as a weapon & a plot device)

DBZ= Worse than Yugioh (It's old. VERY old. It ended a long time ago; why can't it just be left to die? It's not even that good)

YuYu hakusho= Fairly good so far. The animation style isn't my favorite, but that doesn't take away from the sheer enjoyment of the manga

One Piece= Excellent. Humorous, well-driven storyline, & good characters. And a very unique art style

Naruto= VERY good. It can be hard to follow the action at times, but that's being nitpicky. I have no trouble seeing why Naruto is so popular, both here & in japan (I myself download the new episode each week). Probably has my favorite artwork of all the Jump manga

Shaman King= Definately one of my favorites. The storyline is unique, the characters are very well done, each with a very different & original personality, simple yet effective art style. And very different from the Shaman King anime (which is also very good, if you see it in japanese. the dub is horrible), so it gives me something I haven't already seen (unlike Naruto, who's anime is almost identical to the manga. This is the only reason Naruto & Shaman King aren't tied as my second favorite)

And my favorite Jump manga is...

Hikaru no Go=It's the storyline. The concept of a manga based on an ancient Chinese board game sounds so boring, yet I find myself flipping to HikaGo first thing whenever I get the newest issue. Best part is, it doesn't have fancy monsters or powerful technology or uber-mystical stuff (it has Sai, but he just tutors Hikaru) like Jump's other game-based manga (Yugioh). And the games of Go played aren't for "world domination" or "saving the world"; nothing but the player's pride is at stake. It manages to retain reader interest & have compelling storylines & characters without all the add-ons that are present in the other manga...which is what makes it, by far, the best manga in the North American Shonen Jump.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    The yoyo thng was a long time ago...go and read the Memories Arc of yugioh it's the final arc it's really really really long but really good and you find out allmost everything about ateums past.

TechieT

The Techie Master
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 26, 2006
    I stopped reading for a couple of reasons.
    1. Didn't deliver 2 issues so that leaves 10 out of 12 or 5 out of 6 issues
    2. Adds on the Margin. If I wanted the GN, I would have bought it.
    3. Bumping Up the Initial Price, I liked it when it was $20 a year.

jirachi_pt

Da Biggest JIRACHI Fan!
    Years
    I usually don't read Shonen Jump, I might pick it up and look at it in the store, or turn it around so it's facing the right way, LOL! XD
    A friend of mine had it, I read some and got interested in Hikaru no Go. So I am awaiting the release of the manga. ;)

Kenta-kun

&#27515;&#31070;
    Years
    Blue: The yoyo thing was in the latest issue of Shonen Jump, which was, technically, written a long time ago. But unless it's being read online, Jump is the only place people have access to the manga of Yugioh

TechieT: I've heard the Shonen Jump subscription horror stories too, but I've never missed an issue (altho, there were 2 that came a couple weeks late). And ya, the margin adds are stupid...but some are funny too. I just ignore most of them

What do you people think is better, Tokyopop or Viz, and why?

TechieT

The Techie Master
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 26, 2006
    Viz, even though I hate Shonen Jump. The Graphic Novels are cheaper than TokyoPop and it has 2 more of some of my favorite series.

Back