• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who still catches shinies the old fashion way?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    As long as you're not hacking to get your shinies, I don't care. What I don't like is my work being undermined. I did RNG abuse in Gen V, mainly for others that weren't able to do it. It's honestly a huge joy to send people their requested Pokemon for free, might I add. It makes them happy, and it makes me happy. I'm glad I could help them get something they wanted. And yes, I'm going to clone it. I'm not gonna RNG a new one every time it's requested, plus I can add it to my stock for other people to make offers on. It's a good cycle.

To paraphrase an old saying, if you can't take the cloning, get out of the Trade Corner.

Tek

Years
    After hours of sweat and tears trying to find a shiny. I almost beileve the journey in getting a shiny is more important then actually having a shiny.

Basically this. To paraphrase Alan Watts, the easier and faster it is to get somewhere, the less worthwhile the destination becomes.

I've come across a few legitimate shinies in my time, and I've had a lot that were either obvious clones/hacks for which I traded, or ones that were obtained illegitimately by me. But one day (after a couple drinks), I released every pokemon - shiny or no - that was hacked or cloned. I kept only those pokemon that I had caught or raised legitimately, and the ones I had traded for that also seemed legit (which was actually just one Alakazam). In the following days, I found myself feeling really proud of my collection in general and my shinies in particular.

Before this experience, it was the funny colors that made shinies valuable to me. But now, it is precisely the difficulty and the time investment, or unexpected fortune, that makes a shiny valuable to me.

Lots of people don't feel this way about shinies. Having been on that side of the fence, I can respect other views as legitimate. I have used and will probably continue to use various time-saving measures such as cloning. Seems okay to me. Even so, I have learned something very significant about journeys and destinations, and I do really hope that others may one day have this beautiful experience as well.

Back