• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who thinks Missingno should be a legendary pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2009
    Legendary, huh... And what would its associated legend be?

Missingno, filling the role of hellion adversary to the god Arceus, becaue every proper deity needs a nemesis. While Arceus is a god of order and creation, legend has it that Arceus's arch-enemy Missingno is a force of pure chaos and destruction, sometimes appearing as the skeletal remains of long-dead Pokémon, sometimes appearing as white noise incarnate. While myths abound that those who stumble upon it go insane and lose their mind, or that it is the ruling deity over a realm known as Glitch City (a location found in Kanto myth, similar to Sinnoh's myths of the Torn World; perhaps they are associated), the only truly malevolent action Missingno is known to have taken is cause malfunctions in the PCs of trainers who have become Kanto Champions. And thus, modern historians doing research on the myths surrounding Missingno are forced to conclude that the legendary Missingno is not a truly "evil" Pokémon but, more likely, a trickster Pokémon that gets an undeservedly bad reputation due to its fear-inducing appearances, not unlike the reputation most Ghost-types earn.

... I had way too much fun with that.

I am SO saving this and showing it to other people in other Pokemon community forums like Marriland, Serebii, and PokeBeach. That was epic.

Well, duh. Of course not. Missingno is a screw up in the game's coding, nothing more.

Nevertheless, it's amusing to pretend it is a Pokémon/legendary. Fandom-specific inside jokes ftw.

No, if you understand programming, you would understand why Missingno was there.

Q: What is Missingno.?
    A: For most variables on Game Boy games, the fewest possibilities for the variable is 256 (HEX 100), labeled 0 to 255 (HEX 00 to FF). This goes for most variables in RBY, including ones for all the Pokemon lookup slots. However, only 151 Pokemon exist in RBY. So, if there are 256 possibilities, and only 151 slots were defined by the programmers, what do the other 105 slots have? Glitches. And so, Missingno. was created.

Last edited:

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Someone should make a sketch of the.... Glitch Ball!!!

It's should be cutomed design for Missingno.

Who or what named the glitch Missingno anyways?

It stands for missing number I believe.

Years
    I never considered it as a pokemon ^^"
    I always thought it's some data problem or few random pixels joined together and made a pokemon @.@
    so, I'm not really sure ^^" .. but if Nintendo said it's a pokemon ! then it should be legendary~ ^^

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
    It's a glitch I think, Missingno is. It can't be a legendary 'cause it has an evo.

The one that evolves into Rhydon? Ah, true.

But, is it a rule that only non-evolving Pokémon can be legendaries; or is it just that because no evolving Pokémon have been legendary before, people assume one must be a prerequisite for the other?

I'd think a Pokémon that usually does not evolve but on rare occasions gains the power to evolve into a Pokémon of a DIFFERENT evolutionary line would have Honorary Legendary status. Sure, it doesn't follow the exact "rules" of other legendaries, but it's got its own freaky rules, which is pretty darn impressive by itself.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    As much as it would make a greater legendary than Arceus (damn goat :(), I honestly dont seek where you got this 'amazing' theory from. For starters, it is a glitch pokemon, not a real Pokemon. It wasn't intentional, and thus, not a Pokemon. Secondly, what, would it be a 'Bird' legendary? Also, what form would it be in? A Kabutops or Aerodactyl skeleton legendary? No thanks. If your saying they should turn the 'tetris block' form as the legendary, just no. How on earth would a block of messed up pixels make a good legendary? Another thing is, didn't it evolve into Rhydon at a certain level or something (it could of been Kangaskhan or something...)? Legendaries shouldn't evolve, and if they got rif of that factor of Missing.no, then it wouldn't be the same Pokemon we encountered in Red/Blue, would it? It would just be the same sprite but a different Pokemon. I could tolerate it being a normal Pokemon (only because it is so damn nostalgic XD), but a legendary? You have to be kidding me...

So no, I don't think it should be a legendary...:\ :(

Last edited:

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    *shrugs* I don't consider a glitch a Pokemon, personally. So no; Missingno. would not make a good Legendary and shouldn't be given Legendary status, even if it were a Pokemon. (regardless of being able to catch it and if it supposedly evolves into another Pokemon)

Years
    I don't think Missingno should be a legendary. Well, for one thing, it's a glitch Pokemon, so that wouldn't be a good idea. xD

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    The fact that Missingno has manifested itself in so many peoples minds and hearts w/o the help of Nintendo, and the fact that it "appeared" with no one expecting it, I would dare say it is a legendary. I mean, it can literally appear into the human world w/o anyone noticing, I've yet to see Arceus do the same, as humans actually found it by hacking. (Speaking of which, if they continue to cloister Arceus existence then Nintendo will probably be known as Nuntendo..)
    You can't hack Missingno, bro.

ckret2

Years
    Espeon~;4435286Secondly said:
    Well, that would be notable on its own. We've got a ton of Psychics, a ton of Something/Flyings, and a handful of other types as legendaries... If there were one that had a type that no other Pokémon had, that would be quite impressive

Also, what form would it be in? A Kabutops or Aerodactyl skeleton legendary? No thanks. If your saying they should turn the 'tetris block' form as the legendary, just no. How on earth would a block of messed up ixels make a good legendary?

Hey, who said it would make a GOOD legendary? :P

Now that you mention it, why choose one of the forms? Why not all three? Missingno: comes in Kabutops Forme, Aerodactyl Forme, and Tetris Forme. Having multiple Formes, that puts it among the lofty ranks of Deoxys, Giratina, Shaymin, and Arceus. (... as well as Burby/Wormadam and Cherrim. Oh well.) I like that idea, though.

Legendaries shouldn't evolve,

Who made that rule, anyway? That's really the only part of the arguments against Missingno that bothers me. Rowan points out that all known legendaries don't evolve, true, but nowhere in any canon does it state that having the power to evolve automatically excludes a Pokémon from legendary-status.

The word "legendary" indicates that "legends" arise around it. Legendaries are Pokémon that are so special in some way that myths and rumors spring up around them (or at least we're led to believe they must have myths/rumors), and thus, the gamemakers treat them differently by giving them their own overworld sprites, setting up special battles that you have to do to catch them, making them one-per-game (or occasionally, one-per-pair-of-games), and sometimes putting their images on the box art. If Missingno had its own OW sprite, if there were one per game, if you had to get a special item to summon it (like the key item Teru-Sama or something appropriately glitchy), if NPC OWs in Glitch City's Pokémon Center talked about the strange creature living off Seafoam's coast, and if Nintendo slapped a glitched-up Tetris block on the cover of a game, then Missingno would probably be a legendary, whether or not it could evolve into Rhydon.

But all these things (or most of them) can be true without the Pokémon being legendary. In G/S/C, Lapras and Red Gyarados meet most of these (they have their own OWs, people talk about their appearances, you meet them in special battles, there's one per game--although multiple normal Gyarados--and Surf is a prerequisite. Heck, Lapras is even non-evolving/evolved), but they aren't legendary. So there's no hard-and-fast definition.

You have to be kidding me...

Yep, pretty much. (I am, at least.) Missingno as a legendary would be very amusing--in concept. In practice, if Nintendo actually made it a legendary, 19.5% of the fandom would think it's pretty cool, 79.5% would be outraged and convinced that the Pokémon franchise had been RUINED FOREVER!! by this new idiocy, and 1% would find it hilarious but not really care about it either way.

Anyway, sorry for picking on your post in particular to reply to, but it had a lot of ideas I wanted to respond to. And thanks for the idea of multiple-Forme Missingno--even if you probably didn't mean to get the idea in my head, heh.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    No problem :D I dont mind being picked on XD
    Also, theres the ghost form as well ;)
    Anyway, I just dont think a glitch Pokemon would make a very good legendary :\
    I think it would make a decent normal Pokemon (and it would be funny if it was in Generation 5 :D)

Inferno1

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    Its a glitch that is it seriously come on that would be appaling if it became a real pokemon it is some ugly blob that was stupid

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Definitely not a legendary. It's part of a glitch, not a legend.
    Missingno was never a real pokemon.
    That explains why Nintendo purposely put MissingNo. into the game, right?

Spoiler:

ckret2

Years
    Its a glitch that is it seriously come on that would be appaling if it became a real pokemon it is some ugly blob that was stupid

It would be appalling if some ugly blob were a real Pokémon?

I agree. They're horrific!

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Ditto looks so cute :3 XD

I wouldn't say its a blob, more of a pixelated tetris block to be honest. :\
    Also, Ditto is the only blob which actually didn't look that bad in my opinion.
    Anyway, I agree, Missing.no as a legendary as a joke would be hilarious but...:\ I dunno, I cant imagine it being a legendary and being took seriously. :\

Last edited:

ckret2

Years
    Ditto looks so cute :3 XD

In wouldn't say its a blob, more of a pixelated tetris block to be honest. :\

True, Missingno isn't really much of a blob. Tetris block really is the only decent way to describe it.

(Off-topic, but I've always wondered how Ditto manages to look cute while Grimer and Muk... don't. It probably has to do with the slimyness factor.)

Ruphire

Feel the icy burn
    Years
    Having Missingno as a legendary would be.. Quite creepy to say the least. I mean, what would it's pokemon entry say? "Not a lot is known about this pokemon. As you can probably tell by it's question mark."

Back