• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Who wants to play the same thing again?

James

Make it double!
Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2017
    Ruby and Sapphire are incredibly outdated games. Just look at how much the Pokémon series has evolved since 2003: 335 new pokémon species, 263 new attacks, 111 new abilites, Physical/Special split, online battles and trades, reusable TMs, hidden abilities, fairy-type, PSS, Pokémon-Amie, Super training, Horde battles, etc...

But that is one of the best arguments for remakes. There is so much that has come out since 2003 and how amazing would it have been if all of that stuff was in Ruby and Sapphire. Thus, if you make a remake with those features in it it would take the game experience for those of us who grew up with the Ruby and Sapphire game to a whole new level of enjoyment. Now granted the experience wouldn't be quite as thrilling for those who were 3 when the games came out and grew up with newer Pokemon games.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    But that is one of the best arguments for remakes. There is so much that has come out since 2003 and how amazing would it have been if all of that stuff was in Ruby and Sapphire. Thus, if you make a remake with those features in it it would take the game experience for those of us who grew up with the Ruby and Sapphire game to a whole new level of enjoyment. Now granted the experience wouldn't be quite as thrilling for those who were 3 when the games came out and grew up with newer Pokemon games.
    Which is exactly what he was saying....

Maybe this time Team Sky Wants to make more Sky for flying pokemon...

Or
    in the Absence of Team Aqua/Magma, Corporations have polluted the Hoenn region. You must reunite the Evil Team to stop Devon Corp(?) from poisoning the planet.
    XD

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I believe it was HGSS where one of the representations the Game Freak staff talked about how it was a challenge to create a remake because they want to stay true to the originals but also offer something new to those who have already played the first games. And that's exactly why we want to play remakes: because Game Freak doesn't simply upgrade the graphics and sound and call it a day. There will be changes to the mechanics, story, characters, and designs, and content additions that make it a new-enough experience to be worth playing, while still maintaining the essence of the originals.

OG_Haunter

Lv 5
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2014
    I feel like it might not be a remake due to the mega evolutions and they would need to change the story a bit so they can show how they got mega evolutions but if it is another remake I guess I would spend my money on it just because, well POKÉMON.

Years
  • It has already been a confirmed remake. If they wanted to cut off mega-evolutions, they could, while it would probably lose a ton of money, they could. But my guess is that they'll keep Mega Evo's around for ORAS. And if they de-implemented mega evos, then they'd have to cut off trades with XY, which would get even more hate.

4D73R

Trainer Cobalt
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    I don't get remakes, why would i buy something i already played :/ A whole new Pokemon game would be alot better, We could implemente a lot of things from Emerald, sapphire into a WHOLE New Game with lots to do, Right? So why buy and play something i already did when there could be alot of potential into something brand new.

It's like getting an HD remake of a game, it's just fun to try out all the mechanics in a game you've played before, it's like giving it an update.

Years
  • HeartGold and Soulsilver did exactly what you said in your first post. They took elements from Crystal and added them to the story of Gold and Silver. They also updated the game with all the new mechanics that was implemented over the years. So it's not just the same game over and over. Remakes always have extra new mechanics that make the games more fresh and interesting , but still keep a good amount of the old mechanics that make it nostalgic to people. Plus it allows people who didn't play the originals, cause either they were too young or had no interest in Pokemon at the time, to experience a new world and story. Also as otehr's mentioned, Ruby and Sapphire are pretty outdated now. I was replaying my Sapphire today and I was mentally comparing how different it was to X and Y. The graphics are so small and simple compare to the detailed and large scaled graphics of x and Y. In X and Y , you can see the player's full body and while in RS, you only see his body from aerial view pretty much. Just imaging how much better and more pretty the towns of Hoenn will look in 3D already blows my mind. ( Plus ,and this is more of a side note, the systems are way bigger now. The GBA SP I have to play Sapphire on feels so small in my hands, while the 3DS XL I have to play X and Y is more comfortable. It's so awkward going from holding a big 3DS XL to a small Gameboy Advanced SP. And the 3DS has way more power. It really shows how much things have evolved since 2003.)

He's right, remakes tend to be the original games but with all-new mechanics that didn't exist in the original version, and it also gives the vibe of introducing older generations to the younger kids who didn't get the chance to play the originals. Pokemon as a franchise has evolved a lot since 2002 (when the original R/S were released) just like Nintendo's many handhelds did. The originals are pretty outdated given the DS models that aren't DS or DS Lite lacked the GBA cartridge slot that was needed to play them on, so it'd make sense that R/S got a remake to still keep the games relevant but with new mechanics from the current generation.

And also they might add stuff into the plot that was originally only in Emerald, sorta like how HG/SS incorporated some plot events from Crystal into it such as Eusine's appearance in the game.

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
  • The reason for remakes is it gives them the ability to revitalise an older game with all the newest features while allowing sufficient time for another team to work on creating new Pokemon, a new story, and a new region for a later game. You think churning out a Pokemon game is easy? Remakes give filler time, to allow players to have a new experience in an older story while giving the studio more time to work on new stuff in the background without it becoming a rushed job. That way when a new game and inevitably a new region with new Pokemon comes out, it won't be a half-assed job.

Years
  • The reason for remakes is it gives them the ability to revitalise an older game with all the newest features while allowing sufficient time for another team to work on creating new Pokemon, a new story, and a new region for a later game. You think churning out a Pokemon game is easy? Remakes give filler time, to allow players to have a new experience in an older story while giving the studio more time to work on new stuff in the background without it becoming a rushed job. That way when a new game and inevitably a new region with new Pokemon comes out, it won't be a half-assed job.

You've got a good point here. Remakes seem to be like not only reimagining older generations with new mechanics/graphics but it's also like sort of "filler" material so the team can take time to work on the next generation. Remakes essentially breathe new life into an older generation's story while they can develop the next generation without making it feel rushed. Game Freak always like to work hard when it comes to developing Pokemon games, and I praise them for that.

Years
  • Remakes give new life to games that people have been losing faith on. Like, when Gold and Silver were starting to go out of style, thats when HG/SS came. Instead of dragging on and on with updates, they remake it after a while, since there is only so much you can cram into one game cartridge. Also I can't wait to see the XY graphics on ORAS.

But then again, a few months after ORAS comes out, people are already going to be counting down for Gen 7, I bet.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Why remakes? Because Hoenn is now completely 3D, as least we think, that is why. Not to mention most people who don't have an old DS, SP, or Advanced can't even play these games anymore because of the lack of an advanced slot. And some of us were so young that we might not even remember everything about the games and can't or don't want to play the old games because of the graphics.

Also, most kids now have never even set foot in Hoenn. It was also a very popular region for a lot of people.

A little bit off topic, but for me, I liked everything about Hoenn. It is by far my favorite generation across everything, manga, anime, games, cast, pokemon, the region. I am very very very happy that we are getting remakes. I also would love if they remade Colosseum and Gale of Darkness as well, both in which were 3rd Gen games.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I feel like it might not be a remake due to the mega evolutions and they would need to change the story a bit so they can show how they got mega evolutions but if it is another remake I guess I would spend my money on it just because, well POKÉMON.
    Even if they did that it'll still be a remake. FrLg took time off after the seventh gym to introduce us to the Sevii islands. I think the Sevii island side story is a bigger difference than perhaps simply explaining the mechanics of Mega Evolution. Of course they could also put in a side story for Megas too...

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • We could have a Mega tournament or something to give us an intro to Megas. Kinda like what happened in BW2. Just a thought. Got to remember we will have contests in this, or should.

OG_Haunter

Lv 5
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2014
    Even if they did that it'll still be a remake. FrLg took time off after the seventh gym to introduce us to the Sevii islands. I think the Sevii island side story is a bigger difference than perhaps simply explaining the mechanics of Mega Evolution. Of course they could also put in a side story for Megas too...
    That's true but if you look closely at trailer it says meet a NEW WORLD so anything might happen or it could be what you said :P

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
  • I don't want to play the same game again, but that said, i dont eve remember much from RSE, so it'll be like a revamped version. plus no doubt they're going to be adding more content, so that's why I'm fine with remakes.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • That's true but if you look closely at trailer it says meet a NEW WORLD so anything might happen or it could be what you said :P
    That may very well be hype, or a reference to how new Pokemon fans have not played the Hoenn games. Or it could mean that Hoenn in 3D will feel like a totally new region while still having the same biomes, climate, and general story.

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Feb 4, 2017
    Just gonna pop in here and put my little 2 cents.
    The reason for remakes is simply this: How many people actually have their copies of R/S/E anymore. Then think about how tedious it is to transfer pokemon from RSE to XY. You have to go RSE -> DPPtHGSS ->BWB2W2 -> Poketransfer -> Pokebank -> XY. That's an awful lot of effort just to complete a dex don't you think?

Then you have to think that when RSE came out, they were on the latest gen of hardware. That hardware is now 10 years dated and the developers have always said, they would have loved to do more with the games. There was so much cut content from RSE's beta days when it was 'Pocket Monsters Advance'.

As for the mega evolution business, this is the same as how new evolutions were explained to not happen in previous generations: Time/item held based ones were explained in Gen II because the fact that gen I, there was no time/item holding. That and the whole "Item couldn't be obtained" thing. That was the same with Gen III, IV, V and even Gen VI with sylveon. So yeah. Remakes being successful? Count on it. Either by people wanting to relive hoenn for nostalgia or newbies coming in to explore the 'brand new region'.

*Nursebarbra out*

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Also we can no longer transfer pokemon from 4th/5th gen games anymore once the old nintendo server goes out. So you can't transfer pokemon from Hoenn soon. At least not to 6th gen games.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • Also we can no longer transfer pokemon from 4th/5th gen games anymore once the old nintendo server goes out. So you can't transfer pokemon from Hoenn soon. At least not to 6th gen games.

You use Poke Transporter. That doesnt count as wifi. You can still transport your old Pokemon from Gen 3,4,5 to Gen 6, no problem. The problem is it takes a whole lot of time just to transfer Pokemon.

Back