• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Who wants to play the same thing again?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • Yeah, I just transferred a bunch from Gen 3 to 6 and it took forever, especially with Gen 4's Pal Park and the game you had to play to transfer to Gen 5. Gen 6's method is a godsend, we can finally transfer more than 6 at a time. :)

Just gonna pop in here and put my little 2 cents.
    The reason for remakes is simply this: How many people actually have their copies of R/S/E anymore. Then think about how tedious it is to transfer pokemon from RSE to XY. You have to go RSE -> DPPtHGSS ->BWB2W2 -> Poketransfer -> Pokebank -> XY. That's an awful lot of effort just to complete a dex don't you think?

Then you have to think that when RSE came out, they were on the latest gen of hardware. That hardware is now 10 years dated and the developers have always said, they would have loved to do more with the games. There was so much cut content from RSE's beta days when it was 'Pocket Monsters Advance'

Yeah, and with Nintendo's latest console you can't even play original RSE anymore since we lost the GBA slot. So I think it's about time. :)

Years
  • There are also a lot of unused concepts and data left on the R/S/E Roms as well, a lot of unused content they could equally add into the remakes if they're reviewed again. A lot of trainers were cut along with ribbons and battles with the team leaders. There were also unused map locations as well. Even segments of the battle frontier that werent used either. If they were revisted it would technically make the remakes new if they were added.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • IMO the only thing they'll add from Emerald is the Frontier, because, story-wise, in Emerald the star was Rayquaza, and it's been very clear from the beginning that the stars of these new games will be Groudon and Kyogre.

Also, maybe they add something to Hoenn to help us complete the Pokédex within 6th generation, but with the Pokémon Bank I don't see how it was necessary, considering B2W2 have most of the Hoenn Pokémon (including legendaries!) and came out not long ago.

Remakes are a cheap way to get some quick buck, with unaltered dialogues and gameplay (all the trainers have same Pokémon as in the originals). The nostalgia thing is lost on me, as I played RSE when the Pokémon trend died out, so there was no one to play with and it was very boring. I also never liked the mechanics introduced in 3rd gen like EVs and the overcomplication of breeding. I have far fonder memories of GSC.

You can't say they don't listen to the fans, though. After they remade RBY, there was a huge request for a GSC remake, the fans got it. Then, Hoenn fans started to appear everywhere for some reason also demanding a remake, even though, to the franchise, Hoenn is nowhere near as big as the first two generations (go compare sales if you think I'm lying). People even asked Masuda on Twitter about it. And now they got it.

Well, at least I have the freedom of not getting it. ^^ Hoenn had a lot of flaws and, knowing GF, they won't fix them.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I don't really want to. But it's like a new experience to me anyway. I only played through Hoenn completely once and barely even remember it. I'd rather have something new anyway though. We can revisit Hoenn, but perhaps with a different story. A sequel would be nice. It'd let us go back in a remakesque fashion whilst pleasing those who want something new.

Oh well, I'll enjoy playing an experience I barely did anyway. :3 It's Pokemon and I'll buy a new main series game regardless of what it is. I'm just that obsessed.

Years
  • I don't really want to. But it's like a new experience to me anyway. I only played through Hoenn completely once and barely even remember it. I'd rather have something new anyway though. We can revisit Hoenn, but perhaps with a different story. A sequel would be nice. It'd let us go back in a remakesque fashion whilst pleasing those who want something new.

Unfortunately, they have already been confirmed as full remakes. I don't think that's a reason to not purchase ORAS though. If history repeats itself, it will improve upon it's original and feel like an entirely new Pokemon game, regardless of how many changes they make to the original. HGSS, to me, is indication that remakes are worth buying. In fact, I liked SoulSilver more than the new region in Diamond, haha.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Unfortunately, they have already been confirmed as full remakes. I don't think that's a reason to not purchase ORAS though. If history repeats itself, it will improve upon it's original and feel like an entirely new Pokemon game, regardless of how many changes they make to the original. HGSS, to me, is indication that remakes are worth buying. In fact, I liked SoulSilver more than the new region in Diamond, haha.
    I'm aware of this. It's just I would prefer a new experience, not that I won't buy it. It's a main series Pokemon game, why wouldn't I? It's just I'm not as affected by all of the nostalgia as others. HGSS was my nostalgiagasm and even I noticed that the new things they added made it way more smooth and fun than D/P/Pt, and better than the originals in its own right.

Years
  • The point of the remake is to play the old games again, but this time with a little twist. Some of the old storylines will get changed up a little to give you a new challenge. Plus Gen 3 was the start of pokemon having abilities and for how much the game has changed, this should be really interesting.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    All the 10 year old kids playing pokemon were literally not born when R/S came out, so I'd figure a good portion of that multi-million audience have never seen the game before anyway.

DanZC

Pokemon Trainer Dan
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2018
    The first set of remakes, FireRed and LeafGreen, were essential to the series. Half of the Pokedex in Ruby and Sapphire was missing. FireRed and LeafGreen were used to help fill up the void of Pokemon. Of course, fans of Gold and Silver saw this as an opportunity to push for a Gold and Silver remake which eventually made its way into Gen IV. After the success of that, Ruby and Sapphire fans pushed for a Ruby and Sapphire remake, which is now making its way into Gen VI.
    I thought that Ruby and Sapphire were great games when they came out. At that time, Ruby and Sapphire were considered the worst entries in the series. Now, people praise Ruby and Sapphire despite being the black sheep of the franchise. Maybe it's the nostalgia? I don't know.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    If you ask me, it's hardly playing the same thing.

In every remake they change a substantial amount so that it hardly feels like you're playing the same game once more. Rather, it's more like you're going through the same region, but with a different adventure and through the eyes of a different character. Too much is really different in these games for them to be boringly similar to their original counterparts. There's nothing wrong with remastering an old game. In fact, it just makes me appreciate the oldies that much more.

It gives us fans a chance to experience the old games we loved with a whole new feel and plenty of new things to keep us entertained.

.. and it obviously makes them money so why not do it.

Proteun

Unofficial PokéMusic Composer
    Years
  • First of all, if you look at my life you'd see that I've replayed my Silver version at least 20 times. Pokémon games are games that you can play over and over again without getting bored. Yes, I'm from the Challenges forum.

But most of all, when I'm playing a remake it doesn't feel like I'm "playing the same game". Remakes add a lot of new things (and I think ORAS will really be able to confirm that) and they actually are whole new games, except the storyline.

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    I think it'll be great to play through the original story of RSE and get to use new Pokemon and have the updated features. Hell, I'd love if they remade all of the old games in the new style to include the new Fairy type, mega-evolutions, etc. I replay my old games all the time, and it'd be awesome to be able to use them with Pokemon Bank.

But I'd love for them to add a little extra in later, like they did with the Sevii Islands in FR/LG. I think that addition is important to keep remakes feeling fresh.

Back