• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who Will Be Seriously Affected In D/P ?

MasterWGS

Impossible=Nothing, Mewtwo=OU
Years
    • Age 35
    • Ohio
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    (Before I begin, I just want to say that I'm not totally sure if this is the right room for this topic. If it needs to be moved to the D/P section, feel free to do so.)

Okay, so we all know that one of the major changes in Diamond and Pearl is the big Speacial/Physical Switch on some moves. Take for instance Fire Punch will now go off of the Attack statistic rather than the Special Attack statistic, and Hyper Beam will now go off the Special Attack statistic rather than the Attack statistic. Now, the big questions for me are...

How will this affect the current meta-game?

Who are some Pokemon who were once scoffed that will now be fearsome foes? Who are some of the top tiered Pokes who will no longer be useful in most cases?

What are some awesome lineups you can think of for current Pokes now that this switch has taken place?

For me, I think Alakasam will take a major hit. Now that his elemental punches are restrained to physical attack power, one of his major movesets will be rendered much weaker than before. Inversely, Hitmonchan will now stand a major chance with the elemental punches on his side using his physical stat. He'll probably be seen a lot more often in teams.

Idunno, that's about all I can think of... What are some more majorly affected Pokes?

jc_rcw

:God:
    Years
  • Houndoom loses Crunch, which becomes physical and sceptile loses leaf blade, unless you use the physical version (something like swords dance/leafblade/thunderpunch/filler. I'd have to look to many other pokemon to see the changes, but those are some off the top of my head.

It's Just Fufu

Nostalgia is powerful.
    Years
  • Even though Hitmonchan now has the elemental punches, it won't be used much more in comptetitve battling than it is now. I mean, Medicham completely outclasses it. It will still suck, just not as much...

Erm... well, lots of physical pokemon get better moves...Gengar now has Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb...Metagross gets Thunderpunch...

Salamence and Tyranitar apparently become "god" with their physical STAB'ed Dragon Claw and Crunch repsectively...
    Charizard gets FP, but I really don't see any other differences...
    Gyarados gets Waterfall... and Dugtrio can't beat Celebi as easy now, thanks to all Hidden Powers become special. That's all for now.

Back