• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why are Dawn's Pokémon treated so badly?

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Her Pokémon besides Piplup and Togekiss I guess. Pachirisu and Buneary have been shafted to no end and Mamoswine receives only a little more attention than these two. They'll probably be used in the Grand Festival but that doesn't make up for their poor screen time.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    I know right! I was expecting more especially from Buneary. I mean seeing how long this series was, they didn't do well with character development :\

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    They've handled Dawn's Pokémon terribly. The pointless release of Ambipom with a useless capture in the form of Togekiss has my head spinning. Outside of some quick HeartGold & SoulSilver promotion, Cyndaquil hasn't done anything impressive either compared to Piplup.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I feel that way, too, especially with D/P ending soon. I feel that Cyndaquil hasn't gone through enough character development.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    I hope that they don't re-use the Pokémon personalities. It's a shame that the writers still aren't able to give all of the Pokémon decent personalities and screen time. All Buneary is around for now are ice appeals in Pokémon Contests which is a shame since it was caught so early in Sinnoh. It's crush on Pikachu seems like a waste of time now and the clothing thing seems pointless now as well.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    They probably were going to have Dawn evolve her Pokemon during the Johto Frontier episodes, but since the news of Black and White arrived early, they had a change in plans. Now, Ash will hurry into the next region instead. That's why Lyra just made a cameo to advertise Johto. Maybe, the character personalities they were planning for the Johto Frontier, they're using for Black and White. I'm only guessing.

Maybe, Dawn will make a cameo later in Issu, and we'll see her with Lopunny and Quilava?

It's just a guess. I think that's what happened.
    and hopefully Piplup evolved! You know I prefer(ed) Dawn to May, but unlike her May's pokemon actually developed! Dawn had a lot of potential, and I remember 3 years ago when D&P first aired I had a lot of hope that she'd turn out good. Looks like I was wrong. :'(
    they dragged Sinnoh on for too long. I know it's a big region, but they could have cut some of the unneeded stuff out.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
    I never really liked dawn much anyway. Shes just annoying compared to the previous charicter replacements. Even max has better personality in the cartoon than dawn does.

She's just high pitched voice, only cute pokemon using, contest adict.

I hope if they do a johto battle frontier sieries that they use a better charicter like misty or may. pfft even seeing tracey would be better than dawn.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    They've handled Dawn's Pokémon terribly. The pointless release of Ambipom with a useless capture in the form of Togekiss has my head spinning. Outside of some quick HeartGold & SoulSilver promotion, Cyndaquil hasn't done anything impressive either compared to Piplup.

Oh right, I forgot she had that. They messed up this series with the trading and new Pokemon and stuff. And when did she release Ambipom? The same Ambipom who wanted to do contests with her. What were the writers thinking?! o_O

They probably were going to have Dawn evolve her Pokemon during the Johto Frontier episodes, but since the news of Black and White arrived early, they had a change in plans. Now, Ash will hurry into the next region instead. That's why Lyra just made a cameo to advertise Johto. Maybe, the character personalities they were planning for the Johto Frontier, they're using for Black and White. I'm only guessing.

Maybe, Dawn will make a cameo later in Issu, and we'll see her with Lopunny and Quilava?

It's just a guess. I think that's what happened.

Though I'm against a Johto Frontier series, it's the Sinnoh Frontier afterall, it was in DPPt first, your point actually makes sense. Though, it's too late now. Thy dragged DP too long with useless fillers, now it's come back to bite them in the behind.

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    That's one thing I was disapointed about Dawn, she rarley used any of her Pokemon besides Pipulp. And man did that bird get annoying to me, it had such a big ego >>

TheFuturePokemon

Natural.....
    Years
    and hopefully Piplup evolved! You know I prefer(ed) Dawn to May, but unlike her May's pokemon actually developed! Dawn had a lot of potential, and I remember 3 years ago when D&P first aired I had a lot of hope that she'd turn out good. Looks like I was wrong. :'(
    they dragged Sinnoh on for too long. I know it's a big region, but they could have cut some of the unneeded stuff out.
    Piplup is not evolving because of the everstone.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I don't really think they are... To be quite honest I think your overlooking quite a very other pokemon who are put down more then Dawns Buneary and pachiritsu! Just take a look at some of Ashs pokemon like Buizel, Staraptor and Torterra! And also theres Brocks Sudowoodo and Crogunk...
    To stay on the topic with Dawns pokemon here are my views!~:

Mamoswine: It's had quite alot of attention if you ask me or at least around about from when it evolved from Piloswine, its Dawns main powerhouse. Around the time it evolved it had alot of Attention and a few episodes conserning it since it wouldn't listen to dawn!

Cyndaquil: She only recently got it so I wouldn't be too worried about it, if you ask me its been treaded fine since it hatched! Most pokemon that have hatched in the series have had to wait to get into a real battle or contest like Ashs Phanphy (now donphan) and Brocks Bonsly (now sudowoodo)!

Buneary: Meh!~ Dawns mom even made it that silly vest thingee! Its had its fair share of battles and its mainly used to use Ice beam against Team rocket!

Pachiritsu: I don't quite sure what to say with this one...

Togekiss: Its her most recent pokemon so we shouldn't really worry at all... She even got if after she got all her ribbons but Dawn still gave it a chance in the Final and it was magnificent!

Piplup: Its basically Dawns own Pikachu :\

Amipom: Oh gimme a break, she used it in every contest she entered after it evolved! She practically overused it! I was sad it left but we got togekiss and Mamoswime (both much better IMO)

So there you have it! Now im pretty sure most of you just skipped to the end because you couldn't be bothered reading it all :(!

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Bluerang1 said:
    Oh right, I forgot she had that. They messed up this series with the trading and new Pokemon and stuff. And when did she release Ambipom? The same Ambipom who wanted to do contests with her. What were the writers thinking?! o_O

She gave it away so it could pursue it new dream in the sport of competitive ping pong. Pachirisu probably has the worst treatment out of all of Dawn's Pokémon since it's rarely used anymore outside of the contest appeals. When's the last time the poor thing has been used in a battle? Against Johanna during the Twinleaf Town festival?

Years
    That's one thing I was disapointed about Dawn, she rarley used any of her Pokemon besides Pipulp. And man did that bird get annoying to me, it had such a big ego >>

Yeah I agree. She's always using Piplup. Not that I have anything against it, but it would be nice to see some change in her usage of Pokemon.

Shiny Politoed

Dreamer
    Years
    I'm enraged she got mamoswine,The one pokemon i adore and dawn gets him*kicks writers*Ash or Brock could have made such and epic power house of him.Ash has delt with pokemon like that(Charizard).Brock is a ground/rock type trainer and a caring breeder so it could have gained mamoswine's trust so it would listen to him :P*rage* Dawn could have gotten a Hippowdonhttps://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/450.shtml or something :P but her other ones I'm fine with but she dose favorite piplup :P like too much.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    Mamoswine: It's had quite alot of attention if you ask me or at least around about from when it evolved from Piloswine, its Dawns main powerhouse. Around the time it evolved it had alot of Attention and a few episodes conserning it since it wouldn't listen to dawn!

It was treated very badly in terms of character. Since its evolution its "development" had been the same as Charizard's, albeit a little shorter with a few episodes.

i.e. - Capture -> Evolve -> Not loyal to trainer -> Gains trust after trainer protects it -> becomes powerhouse

Togekiss: Its her most recent pokemon so we shouldn't really worry at all... She even got if after she got all her ribbons but Dawn still gave it a chance in the Final and it was magnificent!

It's her most recent Pokemon. That's why we should worry.

Togekiss had the potential to be a powerhouse because of its moves and abilities in battle, but it was brought in too late. The Pokemon should be given a little more development.

Amipom: Oh gimme a break, she used it in every contest she entered after it evolved! She practically overused it! I was sad it left but we got togekiss and Mamoswime (both much better IMO)

It was traded and given to Dawn JUST to have it trashed for PING PONG. What.

Seriously? Stop defending the Pokemon. They WERE treated badly.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    It was treated very badly in terms of character. Since its evolution its "development" had been the same as Charizard's, albeit a little shorter with a few episodes.

i.e. - Capture -> Evolve -> Not loyal to trainer -> Gains trust after trainer protects it -> becomes powerhouse
    Alright maybe your right on this one but considering it from Dawns pokemons point of view shes given it too much attention IMO...

It's her most recent Pokemon. That's why we should worry.
    When I said that I ment as in, she only just got it so we don't know how she will treat it in the future since we may not even see her again after DP (even if she gets a cameo!), she might even give it back!

It was traded and given to Dawn JUST to have it trashed for PING PONG. What.

Well, that doesn't mean she treated it bad, its what it wanted to do. What. =P
    Seriously? Stop defending the Pokemon. They WERE treated badly.
    Im not defending them, its my opinion on how I thought they were treated and I think they were treated fine compared to others! Also whats the point in this disscusion if there isn't a little bit of dissagrement other than a load of people repeating the same thing over and over...

Again, there are other pokemon that were treated much more worst other then Dawns pokemon!~

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2010
    I think Dawn's Pokemon haven't been treated as badly as others. And if I was Dawn, I'd mostly use my starter anyway since well....do I even have to say anything else xD;

Besides, Dawn has more potential to grow on and she was more interesting then May but not as much as Misty. She is on par with Misty. Thats my opinion and I am sticking with it lol

XD

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    My opinion will probably be affected with my hatred towards Piplup.
    Yes you are right. Other Dawn's pokemon didn't get enough screen time because that stupid penguin got so many episodes! I mean even Pikachu in the first season did not get so many attention...
    So yes I'd have also loved if writers gave other Dawn's pokemon more screen time... But imo we aren't going to see it... because I don't think they will put Dawn in Isshu arc since Isshu is so far from other regions.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Why would anybody want a Quilava? Ash has one. Unless Ash recalls his and it evolves again, I want her to get a Typhlosion.

IMO Mamoswine is a furry Charizard :P

Piplup is a Pika-fail. :(

Pachirisu can't do much, sadly. All it really does it zap things and look cute.

Buneary had so much potential:

1. It could evolve.
    2. It could cause problems for Pikachu (him get embarassed when he loses in front of her)
    3. It could abuse its' large movepool gained by being a normal-type.

Back