• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why are some trainers so stupid but some smart?

Syvelocin

Eevee Breeder
    Years
    So, I restarted again and I'm at the third rival battle. It's not going well.

Every trainer by then, even the gym leaders, aren't too bright in battle. They'll let me easily knock them out. But Brenden (R/S/E) seems to know what moves are good against which pokémon >.< I wasn't thinking when I made Mudkip and Ralts my only pokémon. I was completely fine up to the third rival battle. So, I send in Mudkip first to take out Slugma, then I switch in Ralts for Grovyle. Though then I notice that Grovyle has Pursuit >:O So Grovyle has both Absorb and Pursuit. I'm dead. So Grovyle is using pursuit every turn, then I switch in Mudkip. He automatically starts using Absorb! Up to this point, all the trainers are too stupid to do that! I didn't think he could be so smart to do that... God >.< He will also change attacks right when I change the other out, every time.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
    Your rival has a more balanced and well constructed team than most trainers, so he would be far more likely to carry a Pokemon with moves that could inflict super-effective damage. IMO, any trainer could launch an effective attack against one Pokemon and still be smart enough to use a different one against a new threat.

As for why he is smarter than other generic trainers, each Pokemon that is sent out has its own AI that allows it to choose which attack to use in the right situation. Your rival, Gym Leaders and the E4 have significantly higher AI than your ordinary trainer, so they would be more adept at countering or even pulling off basic strategies against you.

Syvelocin

Eevee Breeder
    Years
    It's just that when I sent out Mudkip, he switched right to Absorb, and kept using absorb, and right when I switched in Ralts, he kept using Pursuit and only pursuit.

I just wish either all trainers were stupid or all of them gave something to challenge you with. Of course main fights like Gym Leaders and the rival battles should be harder, but I'm sick of the fights where the opponent will just keep spamming something like double team for about ten turns straight.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I'm trying to figure out why you still have a Mudkip and a Ralts at that point in the game, to be honest. lol

Anyway, I had this problem as well. However, mine was a huge glitch. My first Sapphire file, I started with Torchic and Brendan's Mudkip already had Water Gun...but how? It was at level 5. So...yeah. I've never had that problem since then, but you know, it's still unfair. I also hate the BW trainers in the higher level areas that know what they're doing. UGH.

Gonna move this to GPG since it can apply to all generations.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Frankly, I never noticed this in R/S/E because I was always 10+ levels higher than Brendan and creamed him before he could launch an attack.

I think the "lower" ranked trainers have a really simple AI and M.O. Just pick an attack randomly from whatever moveset it would naturally have at that level. It's only trainers like Gym Leaders and the Elite Four who use more advanced movesets. The higher ranked trainers in the 4th generation games seem to have a better AI, but the 3rd gen trainers still don't... I still recall Champion Wallace making some very stupid move choices in Emerald.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I was battling someone with a Gabite and they kept trying to use Dig on Shibirudon. They must be stuck in generation IV and don't know Shibirudon's ability is Levitate.

Also, I hate when gym leaders/rivals/anyone seemingly difficult will actually switch to something that resists whatever attack you're using on their current defending Pokemon.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    It is because it is a very realistic simulation of real life. Just like in real life, there are some stupid people, and some smart people. :o

I think the AI on some trainers is better though, as it wouldn't be that hard to make an NPC use super-effective moves every time.

What's stupid is when wild pokemon and even trainers use moves like "thunder wave" and "hypnosis" when a pokemon is already paralyzed or asleep. :S

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I've always thought it was funny how generic trainers always equip their pokemon with the last four attacks they learned via levelup, even if it resulted in a Sleep Powder/Stun Spore/Poisonpowder/Supersonic butterfree that generic Bug Catcher on rt.6 in RBY used. XD

I'm actually kinda glad that they're trying to break that trend by giving a couple of generic trainers random TM/HM moves, but their AI is still restricted to debuff, attack, attack, debuff, attack, attack.... :P

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I've always thought it was funny how generic trainers always equip their pokemon with the last four attacks they learned via levelup, even if it resulted in a Sleep Powder/Stun Spore/Poisonpowder/Supersonic butterfree that generic Bug Catcher on rt.6 in RBY used. XD

I'm actually kinda glad that they're trying to break that trend by giving a couple of generic trainers random TM/HM moves, but their AI is still restricted to debuff, attack, attack, debuff, attack, attack.... :P
    I agree with that. However, some of the Cool/Ace Trainers have their Pokemon use TM/HM moves and when they're up against a Pokemon with a move that's super effective against that Pokemon, they just spam that move.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    Also, the trainers in the battle tower and possibly the other facilities seem to have a little bit better AI than other trainers. Or is that just me? :S

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    From what I've seen, high-ranking trainers (Leaders, E4, Champion, and Rival) all have better AI than other trainers, and will use the right moves. They will also have Pokemon with moves that are not necessarily learned naturally.

In all generations, there is still a random chance that they will use a "bad" move. In Generation IV this chance seems to be much lower.

Years
    Like a week ago, in Colosseum, trainers were making good use out of a Protect / EQ combo. I was seriously surprised at how smart that npc was. D:

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2010
    I think all the trainers that has pokemon with any attack that doesn't cause damage is stupid. There are plenty of attacks that cause status effects and do damage, so if you aren't disabling your opponent without causing damage, it's a wasted turn.

Also, you could trump all of this and shoot your opponent. No possibley way of him choosing any of his other pokemon in that instance.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I like it. Keeps the game more varied, and realistic in a way... even if it is just a slight gap in AI. I wouldn't expect a Youngster I meet on Route 3 to be as knowledgeable about battles as a Gym Leader, after all.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2011
    I think it just something in the code for pokemon that "if said pokemon has a super effective move against other said pokemon; then use move on other pokemon." Meaning the other trainers don't have much on their pokemon.

Or there is some magic smartness stat to trainers that make the rivals brilliant and everyone else complete morons.

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    Or there is some magic smartness stat to trainers that make the rivals brilliant and everyone else complete morons.
    It's this one. And I actually do wish all trainers were smart, or at least have a "hard" difficulty setting for the game. It sucks that the only time Pokemon is fun is when you're playing against high-ranking trainers or online.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Insert random filler here.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Nov 28, 2016
    Also, the trainers in the battle tower and possibly the other facilities seem to have a little bit better AI than other trainers. Or is that just me? :S
    I've noticed that too. It's easy to start with and get progressively harder. Or it might just be me and you lol

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I know some are good and some are just stupied I guess that is just how the games are.

Back