• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why ash is never winning a tournament?

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
  • i always assumed that if he wins, the series will end, because he will have become a Pokemon Master. having him lose gives him something to work toward, and gives us more Pokemon to watch. :P

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Actually, Ash is in a coma and if his brain is ever going to wake up, it's going to have to get over some obstacles. In order to represent this in his mind, his brain made up a network of gyms and tournaments. These tournaments are the final obstacle he needs to overcome to wake up. Therefore, if he ever beats a tournament, Ash will wake up and realize that none of his friends exist and all that he has accomplished in life is fake and meaningless.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2017
    Actually, Ash is in a coma and if his brain is ever going to wake up, it's going to have to get over some obstacles. In order to represent this in his mind, his brain made up a network of gyms and tournaments. These tournaments are the final obstacle he needs to overcome to wake up. Therefore, if he ever beats a tournament, Ash will wake up and realize that none of his friends exist and all that he has accomplished in life is fake and meaningless.

Orange Islands and Battle frontier happened though.

TouretteUnicorn

Professionally unprofessional
    Years
  • Take into consideration that being a Pokemon Master isn't the same as being the champion. This was noted by the fact Ash received zero recognization when he conquered the orange league. Nor were champions ever referred to as Masters either.

Ash never wins an official league tournament because he is used primary to introduce new fans to the series as a familiar face.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Ah, the struggle to become a supposed Pokémon Master...

To me, the skill ceiling of a Pokémon trainer doesn't exist; no matter how good one is, there's always someone that'll be better than that person in one way or another.

Because of that, Ash's struggles will last until the end of his days.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Let's pause a minute and look at this.
    This is a list of all the competitions Ash Ketchum has won.

Orange League (Champion)
    Kanto Battle Frontier (Champion)
    P1 Grand Prix (champion)
    Pokémon Swap Meet Tauros Battling Competition (winner)
    Bug-Catching Contest (champion)
    Sumo Conference (champion)
    Pokémon Balloon Race (champion)
    Pokémon (champion)
    PokéRinger:
    Crossgate Town (champion)
    Squallville (champion)
    Rota Tournament (champion)
    Terracotta Contest (unofficial) (winner - tied with May)
    Hearthome City Tag Battle Competition (champion - with Paul)
    Pokémon Summer Academy Triathlon (Winner)
    Twinleaf Festival Battle Tournament (winner)
    Marine Cup Tournament (winner)
    Grand Harvest Festival Pokémon Sumo Tournament (winner)
    and this commentary
    Not to mention that most of the aforementioned stuff that Ash won aren't the usual straightforward battles. Most of them test a trainer's ability to work with their Pokemon in ways that are outside the usual battle dynamics. Ash has shown tremendous skills in thinking outside the box in these competitions and he's shown that he's always ready to try new styles of Pokemon training/battling.

In other words, please don't try to diminish Ash's accomplishments, everyone.

He's done well in many tournaments and competitions and beaten a crapload of gyms and trained tons of Pokémon and won some pretty cool things. But as in life, so it will be in this world- there will always be someone better or some fluke to ensure that you do not achieve the uppermost level of things that really matter to you. /cheerful af

Really tho he does well for a child but still has a long way to go. That long way being through however many places the creators provide for him to go.

Last edited:

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • Well, winning a tournament is very unlikely, since there are so many other trainers participating in the tournament as well. I'm not surprised that Ash has lost several tournaments in the past, and I have a good feeling he won't be winning one in the future. Even if it's a tournament compiling just 4 trainers, your chances of winning (which is 25% in this case) are slim.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Ash would have something to face, some new to experience. It just goes to show his determination of continuing his quest even after losing to the main league five times. Most people would just give up or become depressed. I feel Ash is more of a free spirit; he doesn't stay in a place fast enough to achieve mastery. I'm sure if Ash trained his Pokémon and challenged the Pokémon League again he would succeed in beating them. As EternallyAnna rightly suggested, his true skill lies in jumping into the unknown and quickly taking the ropes. You should keep in mind that he is always ready to jump into a fresh journey and that he almost never takes his Pokémon along with him, with the exception of Pikachu, and he isn't the least worried. When he reached Kalos he had an immediate impulse to battle the gym and didn't think of meeting new Pokémon and building up a new team and training them.

I believe this is because he also knows that deep down beating the league isn't the ultimatum. Nor is catching all Pokémon and completing the ever-running motto of Pokémon. It's also about experiencing a world with Pokémon and seeing much development in them. So I'm not worried that Ash doesn't win a league.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Let's pause a minute and look at this.

and this commentary

He's done well in many tournaments and competitions and beaten a crapload of gyms and trained tons of Pokémon and won some pretty cool things. But as in life, so it will be in this world- there will always be someone better or some fluke to ensure that you do not achieve the uppermost level of things that really matter to you. /cheerful af

Really tho he does well for a child but still has a long way to go. That long way being through however many places the creators provide for him to go.

If You mean small-term Throw away local Tournaments that only handful of people care about , Then ya Ash won plenty of that .
    But if You're talking Major Long Term individual Battle Tournament like ''Wallace Cup'' , Then NO !
    Ash didn't won a single one of them .
    It because Some people gave writers that idea that other character doesn't get any spot-light Because of Ash and all character should be treated like Ash !
    They doesn't get that Pokemon is in every way An Anime based on a One-player RPG Game , Its not some Reality drama show where everyone need to be treated equally !
    As you know about Anime , All One-player RPC Game based Anime Protagonists are special even if they start as Talentless non-special Boy like Naruto !!!
    That's how An Anime Work , Specially a forth category Kids Anime.
    Also , I don't think Pokemon Anime was created to do child service ! It was created for the same reason all game-based Anime are created !
    I don't think Kids watch Pokemon to see how other people achieve their goal , They doesn't watch the show learn ''life-lesson'' .
    Kids are simply watch the Anime to see how the protagonist achieve their goal , They doesn't watch the show to see other people story.
    Thats Why Original Kento series is still more Popular even though the whole series was treated like a ''Ash-show'' .
    Misty didn't had any stable goal back then & Brock profession never really explained yet Kids didn't bother with it .
    Writer need to get the idea out of their head that they need to treat other character more specially then Ash.
    Other Character deserve their spotlight but if doesn't mean writer need to treat them more importantly then protagonist.
    Treat Protagonist like Protagonist , Rivals like Rivals , Supporting Character like Supporting character .
    Each character has their own place so treat them according to it.
    It doesn't matter to Kids that how many Big Tournament other Character win if The Protagonist doesn't win any at all .
    Because Kids main attention will always be on the protagonist !
    If Writer treat every one like Protagonist then it will make the show more complicated for them.

Orange Islands and Battle frontier happened though.

Orange Island & Battle Frontier aren't Tournament !
    Plus , Those thing made Ash more weaker rather then making him stronger .
    Considering all the rival who didn't even participate there become stronger then Ash.
    Example : Gary , Paul & Trip !!!
    Those are nothing more then a ''Waste of Time'' !
    Ash might become stronger if he trained like Gary instate of wasting his time there !

I believe this is because he also knows that deep down beating the league isn't the ultimatum. Nor is catching all Pokémon and completing the ever-running motto of Pokémon. It's also about experiencing a world with Pokémon and seeing much development in them. So I'm not worried that Ash doesn't win a league.

Actually it is !
    At the final episode of DP Series , Ash said himself that his goal is to participate Champion League , Beat Cynthia & becoming a ''Champion Master'' !!!
    Now Ether Ash has 2 goal Or ''Champion Master'' is an alternative name of ''Pokemon Master'' .
    About your experiencing a world with Pokemon , That the Job of a explorer !
    May be , A ''Pokemon Explorer'' !
    Ash is a Pokemon trainer/Challenger , not explorer.
    May be Serena could be a ''Pokemon explorer'' but Ash still be a Pokemon Trainer/Challenger.

Last edited:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • @Famon (since that's way too much to quote)

The reason Ash doesn't win every tournament, or any of the big ones, is to keep the series interesting. They don't want him to become, what we call in the writing world, a Gary Sue.

A Gary Sue is a character where everything goes impossibly right all the time. One thing I know for a fact from the various fanfictions I have read is that Gary Sues are the absolute most boring characters you will ever encounter. There's no conflict because you know the character will just plow through the issue without breaking a sweat. There's no tension, and it gets boring after a short while.

The reason tournaments, big or small, are relatively exciting to watch is because you don't know how far Ash will go. You legitimately don't know if he'll pull it out for the win. It could go either way, and it keeps you watching. Something that wouldn't happen if Ash just won everything without breaking a sweat. Remember that guy from the Sinnoh chapter? You know, the guy with all the legendaries? Well, I don't know his backstory, but unless that is one heck of a backstory, that's a classic example of a Gary Sue. If the series were based on him winning everything, how boring would that be?

My previous answer was just poking fun at the topic, but there's the real reason why Ash doesn't win everything. Like what EternallyAnna posted earlier, Ash has won several competitions. The reason he doesn't win every single one, is to keep the viewer watching in suspense.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    @Famon (since that's way too much to quote)

The reason Ash doesn't win every tournament, or any of the big ones, is to keep the series interesting. They don't want him to become, what we call in the writing world, a Gary Sue.

A Gary Sue is a character where everything goes impossibly right all the time. One thing I know for a fact from the various fanfictions I have read is that Gary Sues are the absolute most boring characters you will ever encounter. There's no conflict because you know the character will just plow through the issue without breaking a sweat. There's no tension, and it gets boring after a short while.

You legitimately don't know if he'll pull it out for the win. It could go either way, and it keeps you watching. Something that wouldn't happen if Ash just won everything without breaking a sweat. Remember that guy from the Sinnoh chapter? You know, the guy with all the legendaries? Well, I don't know his backstory, but unless that is one heck of a backstory, that's a classic example of a Gary Sue. If the series were based on him winning everything, how boring would that be?

Who said anything about Ash winning every Tournament !
    Just because Ash shouldn't win every tournament doesn't mean Ash must lose all long term individual tournament !!
    Ash losing all Individual long Term Tournament is much worst then Ash winning every single Tournament.
    Also According to Your Gary Sue theory ,
    Anime like ''Yugioh'' , ''Prince Of tennis'' & ''Yakitate Japen'' should be super boring and unpopular .
    But those Anime are still popular even the show ended .
    I mean , All of them are much more exciting then Pokemon even though The Protagonist lose only 2 or 3 time .
    However , Yugioh Zexal not as nearly as popular as the previous Yugioh series .
    Most people finds the new protagonist annoying & boring even though he wasn't a Gary Sue like other 3 Yugioh protagonist.
    It goes to prove that Even an Anime with ''Gary Sue Protagonist'' can be popular if the show has GOOD Story Plot While Anime with ''Non Gary Sue Protagonist'' can be super boring if it doesn't have a Plot-line !!!
    The main reason those ''Gary-sue'' Fanfiction were boring because they didn't had any proper plot & story-line to support a ''Gary Sue'' Protagonist .
    If You just make a fiction about A guy winning every thing without any plot Or Story-line then off course people will call those fanfiction boring & Uninteresting .
    Also ,
    Trobias may be a Gary Sue but atleast Ash didn't seem like a ''Total Loser'' when he lose to him unlike Unova League.

My previous answer was just poking fun at the topic, but there's the real reason why Ash doesn't win everything. Like what EternallyAnna posted earlier, Ash has won several competitions. The reason he doesn't win every single one, is to keep the viewer watching in suspense.
    There is a thing call ''Over-suspense'' !!!
    The main reason Ash & Trip's League battle sucked because writer tried to put too much suspense .
    May be the reason viewer leaving the show because writer tries to put too much Suspense !!!

The reason tournaments, big or small, are relatively exciting to watch is because you don't know how far Ash will go.
    Did majority of people found Marine Cup just as exciting as Wallace Cup !
    Nope, Most people didn't gave a dam care about that throw Tournament expect some minority .
    Plus ,Can you say Ash is ''Gary Sue'' Before the XY series ends ?
    Nope , Even if Ash remain undefected for 100 episode , You will still fear that he might lose the current battle since he haven't been beaten for a long time'' !!!
    Also another Psychology 101 ,
    Once You taste the Big thing , You won't like the small thing !
    Since Most of us tasted Wallace Cup , Those so-called achievement of Ash seem really small.
    Like How Tiger can't eat anything else when he taste a human flush.

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • But if You're talking Major Long Term individual Battle Tournament like ''Wallace Cup'' , Then NO !
    What does the Wallace Cup have to do with Satoshi? Whole point of Wallace Cup was Haruka's return and Hikari's character development.

Also , I don't think Pokemon Anime was created to do child service ! It was created for the same reason all game-based Anime are created !
    Actually it was.
    If it was game-based anime, it would have gone like Pokemon Origins and ended in one season.
    Game-based (better said, console based, 'cause you would start with YGO) anime are one or 2 season (season as year season... you know... winter, spring, summer, fall) while Pokemon anime is a long running one.

At the final episode of DP Series , Ash said himself that his goal is to participate Champion League , Beat Cynthia & becoming a ''Champion Master'' !!!
    Translation error.

However , Yugioh Zexal not as nearly as popular as the previous Yugioh series .
    Most people finds the new protagonist annoying & boring even though he wasn't a Gary Sue like other 3 Yugioh protagonist.
    Because all Yu Gi Oh protagonists have immerse popularity, even if the new protagonist were to be on par with Yami, he wouldn't reach Yami's popularity.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019

What does the Wallace Cup have to do with Satoshi? Whole point of Wallace Cup was Haruka's return and Hikari's character development.

Off Course , It something to do with Satoshi !
    Wallace Cup was a long term individual Tournament like Whirl Cup that was hosted World-wide by a E4 champion .
    Its the type of Tournament you wanna see Protagonist winning .
    And Now , There can be Individual Long Term Tournament where The winner can pick one Mega stone !

Actually it was.
    If it was game-based anime, it would have gone like Pokemon Origins and ended in one season.
    Game-based (better said, console based, 'cause you would start with YGO) anime are one or 2 season (season as year season... you know... winter, spring, summer, fall) while Pokemon anime is a long running one.
    Pokemon is a Game Based Anime which was create to promote game & merchandise in order to make profit !!!
    As I said , Pokemon Anime wasn't created to do child service !
    As you know , Pokemon was suppose to end but the Producers decided to make it longer to make more Profit after its popularity reached sky high !

Translation error.

Oh , I guess Nobody hear Ash saying ''Champion Masta'' in Japanese at that episode.

Because all Yu Gi Oh protagonists have immerse popularity, even if the new protagonist were to be on par with Yami, he wouldn't reach Yami's popularity.
    Accept , The New Protagonist isn't really popular at all !
    He consider to be the Worst among the 4 Yugioh Protagonist .
    Plus , A ''Gary Sue'' like Yami shouldn't have immerse Popularity .
    Instate Yami should be consider to be boring & uninteresting for being a ''Gary Sue'' while Yuma should be more exciting & interesting character because Yuma isn't a ''Gary Sue'' like Yami .
    But it doesn't work that way , doesn't it !

Last edited:
    Back