• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Why both?

Newbie 2.0

The New Type of Noob
    Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2011
    Im sorry but this is a really narrow minded point of view. Not everyone has access to trading. I live at college right now so I have ethernet internet and there are no hotspots in the area making GTS trading impossible. Plus 99.9% of college students Ive met are not Pokemon Players and the ones who are have less pokemon than me or the same version. Trading with people is a great option IF you have it availible to you.

Lolz, a lot of people these days have access to wifi and even if it's not in your house, schools have it, cafes, stores, etc. So he can for sure trade.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Lolz, a lot of people these days have access to wifi and even if it's not in your house, schools have it, cafes, stores, etc. So he can for sure trade.
    Actually, I do have the option to trade over Wi-Fi, so it wouldn't be a problem. However, for others who do purchase both and wish to collect all the Pokémon available may not have access to trade with others. Yes, there are many places that offer Wi-Fi these days, but it isn't assured that, that particular person may be able to go there at a given day or time like others might. People have their reasons for purchasing one or both games, including HG/SS.

I typically always purchase both versions as one is for myself and the other is for my sister. So, it isn't only about trading in this sense. Also, apart from what I mentioned earlier, having both just allows me to excess my boundaries a bit if I wanted to reset the game and save certain Pokémon over into another file.

Really, no need to stray from the topic you created here to go off into why I should purchase one rather than two just because of trading purposes. o_o; Like said, we all have our own reasons, a personal preference really.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Buying both is good, collection wise, and I've always admired it. But I just realised how boring it'll be, playing the same game twice. I guess you could just trade Pokémon over and complete the other game.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    lol just for the fun of it. When FR/LG came out I only wanted LG, but somehow I ended up buying FR as well. But Im getting HG first, then SS. (probably going to end up buying both at the same time lol)

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I got both versions in Japanese because I wanted the Arceus Figurine you got for Pre-ordering both versions at once.

I have no idea whether or not the English versions have that same special offer for pre-odering both...

...but it doesn't affect me, because I already have my games in hand. I'm happily content with my Japanese HG/SS :3

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I used to like having both versions of the games so I could trade by myself and not have to worry about trading with other people if that was unavailable for me. However, I also liked having a second one so my sister could play along with me, and I knew where my pokémon were coming from.

And while I used to have both the Gold&Silver versions from back in the day, I think I'll only be buying HG when they're released. Or, I will be buying HG on reserve and then SS in a month or so, so that my sister can play with me too. :)

Years
    i wish i could get soulsilver along with my preorderd heartgold mainly because ive never had both versions at once of any pkmn game and i wanna complete the pokedex without an action replay and cuz the Lugia figure pwns.I remeber i had silver gold and crystal but all at different times and same with ruby and sapphire and red n blue and FR and LG.Im probably gunna buy soulsilver once i get enuf money and then just buy the lugia figure off of ebay or something cuz noone in my school likes pkmn enuf to preorder butme

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    Now I love, love, love and adore Johto. Anyone that knows me would definitely not argue otherwise. I wanted more than anything to get Johto in Japanese, but it would also really ruin the fun for me. The reason being is because I get half the enjoyment out of knowing what people are saying. I don't want to just go through the game and have no idea what they are saying to me. That's not very fun. At all. So I didn't order the Japanese version of the game.

Once I buy the English version, though, I will eventually get in in Japanese because I want to collect everything... Or at least as much about this game as I possibly can, because this is a moment of history in Pokemon for me. I will NEVER, EVER look forward to a Pokemon game more than this one. This is definitely going to be a memory for me. So I am definitely going to order both. But I don't want to spoil things... I'll play it in English first. My cousin has the Jap versions. Both of them.

Dr Glocktor

The Ashbringer
    Years
    Because I'm a filthy fanboy.

Plus, its nice to have a game I can restart and not lose a whole buttload of rare stuff.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
    Why wouldn't I get them both with an R4? And I've always had both anyway. I don't have wi-fi at the moment, and sometimes one game might stop working, then you have the other one to use. Plus you can keep your main file, and play around with the other one. Eg. I'm doing a challenge on my pearl atm, luckily I have both pearl and diamond and can do this and keep my beloved pokemon etc on diamond.

meh, everyone would have there own reasons, but I've always got both versions

Master Kavar

Where beginnings are
    Years
    I'll tell you why, its because i need to trade over pokemon so i can evolve pokemon somtimes with items then just trade back lolz im a cheater! it's only coz ive got money ahahaha

RelentlessRamenRaider

Chansey Lucky Egg Hunter
    Years
    I want two save games.
    Two Pokewalkers
    Collection Purposes.
    REPLAY value!
    I have the extra money.
    I love pokemon!
    To each, his own and to hell with anyones two cents. :)

Years
    I wanna use Heartgold as my main file and then use it for wifi after the whole story and sidequests. And when i get soul silver a while after heartgold im gunna use a different starter and when i get bored just start a new game cuz my Heartgold will have my event pokemon.I will never start a new game in Heartgold

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
    Two different games means being able to have two different teams.
    I had both Gold and Silver when they came out and I'm doing the same with their remakes. Tradition, I suppose?
    I'll probably replay HeartGold over and over and keep SoulSilver as my main game.

.. maybe.. I do tend to get attached to my Pokemon. lol

Oh yeah, and both figurines. That's a bonus.
    Embarass my boyfriend some more and add them to my display of living room decorations. :P

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    I want two so that I can finish one and keep it finished and try to obtain all Pokemon on it, and the second one is for the exclusive Pokemon and so I can replay though the game when ever I want.

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
    The extra pokewalker would probably be a good reason.

I don't spend enough time on Pokemon to justify getting both versions though.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    I'm getting both because...

• one will be used to rush and go straight to my favorite part, the battle frontier. <3 the other I'll "take it s l o w"
    • one will be start-over material while the other will remain the "headquarters" version and be the recipient of everything and never start over.
    • I like buying things in 2's
    • I want three places to try out my frontier teams, hahaha. [/greedy bastard]

Back