• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Butterfree Is So Underated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2014
    Hello people

my name is arctofire16, I am fairly new to this forum and I deeply apologise
    for the inconvienece of my last thread why I hate Rhydon when I had so many difficultys on
    which forum it should go into. But anyways I would Like to say how I feel about the Pokemon Butterfree. It is dismissed as being that awful, lame Bug type you get early in the game;
    but it isnt. I think people dismiss butterfree because its pared up with Beedrill which really is awful. But Butterfree can actully learn a suprising array of attacks such as Sleep Powder, Poison Powder, Stun Spore, and Pysbeam and can be taught Pyschic and Arial Ace by Tm; It can also be good for Parafusion as it can learn Supersonic. As of the later generations it can also learn also Quiver Dance and can improve its ability
    from although already good Compound Eyes to better Tinted Lense. Now I know all of the above can be done by Venomoth that has much better stats and can have Tinted Lense as a normal ability. In Fire Red you get Venomoth so much later than butterfree. So Venomoth does outclass butterfree and is a pretty damm good Pokemon. But we can at least agree that Butterfree is decent.

So what are your thoughts on Butterfree do you like it or hate it.

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I think people dismiss butterfree because its pared up with Beedrill which really is awful.
    Although I agree that Butterfree has potential, you automatically dissing Beedrill doesn't make me any more inclined to believe you.

From a competitive aspect, yes, Butterfree is objectively outclassed by several other 'mons, which is the reason it is seen the way it is, despite what niches/skills it possesses. You can make a favorable argument for any Pokemon really, just don't expect people to sympathize with it when there are other Pokemon competitively tested to be better.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I've always liked Butterfree. Since I don't battle competitively, I couldn't care less about how it matches up against other pokémon. Stat moves and moves that work well inside the games is what matters to me. And also design in much, when I RP and overall think of Butterfree. It's a cute pokémon and a real asset early on in the games. In the anime, Richie in the pokémon league of Kanto had a Butterfree on his final team and he beat Ash and many other powerful trainers with it. So in the anime and manga and any other media than competitive gaming really, I think it's a great pokémon.

I prefer Butterfree to Beautifly and Vivillion :p

But I guess the reason for people maybe not thinking of it much is that it's an early bug pokémon and maybe not even "meant" to come onto your endgame team.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I've never heard anyone say anything particularly negative about Butterfree. It's a decent Pokemon and has a great moveset. Its double weakness to rock types is a major flaw since rock is such a common type. Also its stats need a lot to be desired, especially for a fully evolved Pokemon.

Personally I prefer Beedrill. It has roughly similar stats, and has one of my favorite moves: Twineedle. Good move, and (to my knowledge) the only move that can poison a steel type.

Years
  • My opinion might be just a little skewed because Butterfree's my favorite Pokemon, but I would have to say that it is underrated in the eyes of many. Part of that is because there are better competitive options available, but that doesn't mean that it can't employ Compound Eyes and any of the status-effecting moves to be a pain to battle against.

Plus, if any of you watched the early seasons of the anime, how could you not like Butterfree?

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2014
    @zomgitscathy

Well I just want to let you know that Twineedle cannot poison steel types it only can in generation 2. Also Beedrill has identical stats to Butterfree but just hasnt got as good ability and its movepool in my opinion just isnt as good. But each to their own I guess. I take back what I said about Beedrill its just what I am saying is based on a competive point of view and there are better Pokemon to use then Beedrill in the main game also. I know Butterfree is outclassed by venomoth and they do similer things; but beedrill is outclassed by alot more things than Butterfree is and It doesnt do anything paticuly usefull.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2014
    I actually have a Butterfree on my Pokémon Y game, I feel to that Butterfree is underrated and is quite strong when trained properly. My Butterfree is level 75, compound eyes, and knows psychic, Bug Buzz, Hyper Beam, and Shadow Ball

Years
  • While I very much appreciate someone that thinks Butterfree is underrated too, I'm going to have to close this thread, since it's past PC's one-month revival rule. Make sure to look out for that in future posts!

CLOSED.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back