• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why didn't they just re-edit it?

Tentachu

Movie Making Expert
Years
  • I have been reading about the banned episode 'Dennō Senshi Porygon' or 'Electric Soldier Porygon' or 'That one with the seizures' and I've been thinking. Why didn't they just re-edit it? It wouldn't have been very difficult. All they would have to have done is slow down the flashing to an acceptable rate (I believe the guidelines put in place after the incident say it is 3 flashes per second for no longer than two seconds IIRC) and everything would have been fine. Why didn't they do this? Is it because people were hospitalised by the flashing lights and that they didn't want to show it again just to be on the safe side?

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
  • It brings back bad memories, so the company decided to ban the episode. A ban was easier made, because it was just a filler episode anyway.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    And it's why most people think Porygon2 and perhaps PorygonZ will never get an appearance.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    You know, they can try and re-edit it so they can be able to air it.

I mean, just because it caused a major epidemic incident doesn't mean that it needs to be banned permanently (I mean, out of those 600 victims, I don't think any of them died.).

Besides, considering how we are reairing episodes of some shows that were banned due to the 9/11 attacks (Like The Simpsons New York episode, for example) despite it probably causing bad memories (and being something FAR worse than the Porygon incident, not to mention), it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I mean, they could at least add in a message before the beginning of the episode saying that anyone who is watching should not do it in a dark room and should stay away from the TV at a certain length.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
  • If it was an episode vital to the "story", if thats wat u want to call it, then they would've have. But it was just another filler so...

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    If it was an episode vital to the "story", if thats wat u want to call it, then they would've have. But it was just another filler so...

Wasn't "Beauty and the Beach" Technically just another filler? I mean, that never stopped 4Kids from making a heavily edited version just to appease the FCC (Not that I think that they actually care about inappropriate things being aired or not, especially when taking into account the fact that the FCC allowed three dancing, stripping women at a party be aired at noontime during summer vacation where a kid could see it, but still.).

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    "The Legend of Dratini" had Ash catching lots of Tauros but it was still cut

Unown_

Years
  • Beauty and the Beach was simply "fixed" by cutting out a few parts. This could be easly done.

The same procedure couldn't be applied to The Legend of Dratini. It would require to re-make all the scenes where the warden was pulling out his gun and shooting.
    The end result would mean that roughtly 1/4 of the episode needed to be changed. Too much work/money would require to get the job done.

Years
  • The episode where Ash captures all the Tauroses was banned because the man who ran the area had many guns and tended to at point them at everyone even though he never fired any of them.

As for the Porygon episode, it would be just as easy to remake it without the weird lights.

Unown_

Years
  • Back