• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Why do all new Developers Rush

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
  • Well its been awhile since i've seen a legit discussion thread here in the main game dev section so I wanna make one.. Here we go...

Why do all new developers rush to get "Demos", "Betas", & "Alphas" out? Some games aren't even close to these stages and people say "Pokemon (Their name here) Alpha Released!" I think most people here dont understand the different stages so I'm gonna try to explain them.

Pre-alpha: initial testing. This is where the individual components are all tested individually as discrete units.

Alpha: this is integration testing. All the components work on their own, so it's time to make sure they work together.

Beta: Having determined that the components work as they should together, this period is for squashing any bugs that weren't picked up earlier. Some software houses will involve their user base in this testing.

*Demo: A game demo is a freely distributed demonstration or preview of an upcoming or recently released video game. Demos are typically released by the game's publisher to help consumers get a feel of the game before deciding whether to buy the full version.

NOTE: Each of these take place after the game's development is complete, not mid way through or when your just beginning..
    * Can be an Exception to the above note, some game companies release a demo with half or more than half of the game being completed.

Well there you have it, those are the different stages of developmental Releases and what their used for.
    Well why do you guys think new developers rush to release "Demos", "Betas", & "Alphas"?

Last edited:

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • Well, the problem is thoes definetions only work in a horizontal development environment, where the game is usually thought out before development starts, where the game is made layer by layer. The basic structure of all the maps would be made. then you add detail to all the maps, then you add characters, then dialouge, wild pokemon, etc, then finally polish all the maps.
    Every section of the game would have been given the same amount of care. ie: every section of the game would be in alpha, beta, etc.
    It's how most of commercial games are made. No one area of the game is finished before the rest (except for preview demoes, or trailers)

But, most fangames(including mine) are made in a vertical development environment. A single area is made, characters are added, dialouge is given, pokemon added, polish is done. That single area would become fully playable. Then you start working on the next section. It's done bit by bit.

The definition of demoes, betas, alphas, would be different for a vertical environment as it would only take into account each section of the game. The begining of the game could be "Gold"(fully complete) while the middle would be in beta, the final area in pre-alpha.
    Thus, if you have a fully playable section of your game, why not just release it? makes sense. Release the Beta of the parts of the game thats done. Thats why demoes/betas have version numbers. v0.1 is a demo of the 10% of the game thats complete.
    It allows you to be critiqued on what you've done, you can find out what people like, what they don't like, what could be improved, Plus, it builds hype and personally, motivation skyrockets when I release a demo.

Horizontal games don't have this luxury as every part of the game would be at the same state. You can't release a beta, until the whole game is in beta.

-----
    I don't think theres any problem making a demo/beta quickly, I had my first demo done within the first week of the thread opening (i think?).
    The bigger problem is when new developers think of a cool idea, and post it immediately. not even doing much work on it. And then giving up on it because they get bored.
    I had worked on SPEE for over a month before I posted it on here.

* Im not sure if horizontal and vertical development environments are actual terms used, But it's easy enough to understand.
    EDIT: this ended up being way longer than I thought.

Last edited:

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • I wouldn't say developers rush. Several games in The Showcase section have been created in 2009 and still have had no demos or only 1. I believe in the "release when it's ready" philosophy. I noticed a few others do, but I don't put words in their mouth. I'll let them comment here lol.

Where did that text about the stages of development come from? Wikipedia? The "note" part confuses me with: "Each of these take place after the game's development is complete" - that statement is completely wrong when referring to game development stages. How can the game's development be complete in an alpha and even beta stage? Work stills needs to be done right? I'd argue that the hardest work goes into time when you have an alpha product. Generally that is when you have little things in place, little features, and you need to see if you can make it feel like a "game" rather then a tech demo/showcase.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Well, I don't call it rushing; Think of it as baiting. You release a demo/beta/alpha whatever you wanna call it, that goes through two of the game's towns. Accompanied by great events and storyline, and some nice graphics to go along, you have the fanbase hooked.

Now, you have alot of tension because you have fans that want more. You know this, so you go on and develop until the game is about halfway complete. Release a Demo. The fanbase goes nuts, and you're king(insert potty word here). Then, you keep on developing (this may take years even) until you're finished, disclose it to a couple beta testers, get some feedback, fix glitches, and release your final.

Later on you can add more content like events or even new areas, but you could always go like Fable and do something like:

Original Game title: Pokémon Aurora
    Game with extra content: Pokémon Aurora X (or something 0_o)

That's the way I think. Is that weird?

KingCharizard

Years
  • @Neo I'll clarify what i meant by
    Each of these take place after the game's development is complete
    I mean as the core systems are finished a "rough draft" so to speak is ready. But your right the statement is partially wrong because now a days games are never really ever complete.

Where did that text about the stages of development come from? Wikipedia?
    Some from various articles around the web, some from Wikipedia some from my knowledge. I could be wrong about the different stages and if anyone has a better understanding of them please feel free to correct me..

Several games in The Showcase section have been created in 2009 and still have had no demos or only 1
    Thats why I said newer... I know quite of few games there that deserved or had demos.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    i think in part its also excitement. i know when i started on lightning yellow i wanted to get it finished before i went back to uni. i stared back in September, 4 months ago

Ryan Hekk

Game Developer
    Years
  • I'm working on my game using the standard software development cycle.

Analysis
    Design
    Implementation
    Testing
    Evaluation
    Release
    Maintenance

I use the vertical style described by DarkDoom3000, planning, implementing and then testing a single section and then repeating with other sections. The release will come once everything is ready and not a day before lol, and that's when a Beta test will happen and the missed bugs from the full game will be dealt with. I don't plan on releasing my game before atleast 2013. I just hope people won't have moved on by then.

KingCharizard

Years
  • i think in part its also excitement. i know when i started on lightning yellow i wanted to get it finished before i went back to uni. i stared back in September, 4 months ago

I do too, I also had to fight temptation and lost awhile back when i was developing pokemon games.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • This is a hobby...

Pokemon fan Games are going to undergo development much differently then lets say, Zenforms by Calis Projects.

If that is not the answer you are looking for then perhaps you should stray from sections like these.

KingCharizard

Years
  • This is a hobby...

Pokemon fan Games are going to undergo development much differently then lets say, Zenforms by Calis Projects.

If that is not the answer you are looking for then perhaps you should stray from sections like these.
    this is just a friendly discussion

honestly there is no right answer as there are many factors that make people release a demo alpha etc.

Rossay

Quack quack
    Years
  • I'm a believer in getting the right balance: there's no point in releasing an alpha/beta/demo (whatever you wish to call it) if there is nothing new or anything worth seeing. At the same time, there is a certain pressure game developers can feel to try and keep their potential audience interested.

Sometimes I will rush a few alphas of a game out for the purpose of getting glitch-testing and to see if the concept is a good idea & fun to play.

At the other end of the spectrum, if a project seems to be going on for an infinetly long period of time with no demo etc. it can become a little boring?

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • The pressure fore demos I think is something developers kind of make up in their own head. If your project is losing fans and face, it isn't because you are lacking a demo, it is usually because you are failing to showcase something new to keep them interested.

Developers here seem to try and put out all the information and screen they can in a short period of time, rather then showcase their project bit by bit.

Rather then giving a complete story and feature list it is often beneficial, in order to keep interest in the project, to release it in portions and I think developers lose sight of that value that it actually holds when doing so.

I know Lost Legends has been criticized over the years for having a lackluster and seemingly unfinished story, and I have always stated that there is a reason for it. and I still stand by that fact. If everyone knows what to expect from your game by the time you release it, then there is a good chance your fan base will be underwhelmed with your project and more often than not, this is the case with demos etc when it comes to fan games like this.

Years
  • I am likely going to reiterate points already on this thread, however I would imagine they rush development to confirm the desire for their product. When a designer spends countless hours on a project, their desire to see the fruits of their labor increases. This anxiety drives the decision to release early, to see how it is received, and this can very well cause the opposite effect of what they're striving for.

Kyo The Pro

I'm the Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2012
    Most likely they want to be able to say they have something done, they think people will follow after playing a beta and alpha or they may just want validation on what they are doing.

But meh.

Eternal Dreamer

Dreaming my way to the top!
    Years
  • I think that it is never too early to let the public test your game. (unless all you have is one town done lol)
    I mean, what if you're unsure about something, and you can't ask your mom ( ;D) about it because she'll tell you what you want to hear. So, you go out to the public and let them try it. If they like it, you keep it. if they don't, then you dis ban that feature instead of wasting time on that side-project. You know?
    I know that I will release my game's demo when I have enough positive responses about my features, and have the scripts working normally.

Overall, I guess that it just matters on the person and there is truly no correct timeframe for game development.

Edit: Also, it depends on the development patterns of the person. I like to create the shell, then fill in all the data later since I know what I am going to fill in the gaps with (I make notes when I map). My design scheme is rather odd. ^_^

KingCharizard

Years
  • So, you go out to the public and let them try it. If they like it, you keep it. if they don't, then you dis ban that feature instead of wasting time on that side-project.

Not everyone will dislike or like an idea of yours. I don't think you should remove a core feature of your game on the public's opinion just do what feels right to you, however if the feature completely throws your games ability to be "Fun" then yes you should dismiss the idea

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • While I agree that player feedback is important, I do not agree with a demo being a means to getting player feedback. A demo should be something that draws players in, leaving them with the anticipation of the initial launch.

A beta test should be something that is closed to the public and done with some edge of random selection. The idea here is to have testing take place with a range of demographics giving you enough feedback to tweak, not remove, features to help keep them user-friendly.

I think it is important to cater to the demographics that will be playing your game, but it is also important to keep your original ideas intact but flexible.

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
    Years
  • Personally, I like games that get small sections out quickly.Even if developers only reease one new map per release, if that one map contains details for other things in the game, e.g. the intro maps and first town, then I'm happy. I'm hooked. I want to come back and see what is going to happen next

HOWEVER, some people wish not to release stuff until they are mostly finished. That's ok. I am fine with that. It's their game. Let them release it as they wish.

It basically comes down to the developer. It's their game. If they wish to rush through development, fine. If they wish to get some releases out nice and early to get people hooked, then fine. It's their game.

Back