• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Do Cute Pokemon Turn So Ugly?

Kristy Haruka

Johto Fangirl!~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2009
    For example... Mudkip and Swinub. I love them both to death, but I HATE their evolutions. Swampert looks deranged and Piloswine is jsut plain creepy/deformed. I wish there was an option to not evolve them but still give them their evolved forms' stats. D:

Kristy Haruka

Johto Fangirl!~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2009
    Well I think they should give us the option of NOT evolving a Pokemon but still giving it competitive value.

And there are a LOT of Pokemon that are both cute and powerful. Examples: Mew, Blissey, Raichu/Pikachu, Lanturn, Ampharos, Vaporeon, Espeon, Eeveelutions, etc.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
    True, but it doesn't usually mesh. Especially since terrifying and horrendous seem to go hand-in-hand with power.

It'd be interesting to see that as an option, though. ^^ Certainly an improvement on Everstone. :P They'd have to inherit everything, though, not just the stats (imagine Vigoroth with Slaking's powers, for example. :P)

Kristy Haruka

Johto Fangirl!~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2009
    True, but it doesn't usually mesh. Especially since terrifying and horrendous seem to go hand-in-hand with power.

It'd be interesting to see that as an option, though. ^^ Certainly an improvement on Everstone. :P They'd have to inherit everything, though, not just the stats (imagine Vigoroth with Slaking's powers, for example. :P)

xD I guess some things wouldn't fit. For example, Nincada with Shedinja's Wonder Guard ability. o.o; But I'm sure they could work around that.

I just think they should have improved stats but not exactly the same moveset and ability changes. I mean, its our decision not to evolve them and they can't have all the evolved forms' advantages... I'm just saying they should be more usable competitively and a simple stat change is all that's needed.

It's kinda like what happens with humans. Babies are cute, then they grow up and stop being so cute. o;

Age + power = Ugliness.

I guess so but some kids are strong/more intelligent than adults. And most of Pokemon are based off animals... Most animals stay cute throughout their whole lives.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    I guess so but some kids are strong/more intelligent than adults. And most of Pokemon are based off animals... Most animals stay cute throughout their whole lives.
    How old are you? Because it's completely moronic to say kids are "stronger/more intelligent" than adults. Yeah, I'll give you intelligence, but only because they learn much more quickly and retain that information more easily. Otherwise adults are far more intelligent and strong.

And I'm sick of these retarded threads about Pokemon cuteness. Pokemon are monsters. Go play the first gen. No, go play it. Hell, even play Green. Every Pokemon, even the "cute" ones like Pikachu look either ugly or blood-thirsty dumb monsters. They're only "cute" now because it sells more.

Oh, and attractiveness is a personal opinion. My friend KBall's favorite Pokemon is Gengar. She thinks it's cute. She thinks the same about Cloyster. She loves Ghost-types. So stop being such a superficial child and grow up.

Years
    Feebas becomes Milotic. Milotic is gorgeous. A lot of the evolutions of Pokemon look better now. It just depends which game they're in. Some of the Hoenn Pokemon look ugly in RSE, but they look much better in DPPt. Eevee looks so cute in so many games, but in DP, its sprite looked bad. The Platinum sprite of it looks much better. Plus, you could just give your Pokemon an Everstone. If you really care how cute your Pokemon is, look for the evolutions that you find the prettiest. Try having a Meganium, Chatot, Pachirisu, Azumarill, Bellossom or Sunflora. Those Pokemon are pretty. You could choose a Pokemon that doesn't even have an evolution. (Such as Lapras.)

Spoiler:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Hey Swampert is freakin' awesome!!

Anyways, my advice is: cry moar. Seriously, if you care that much about how cute a pokemon is, you shouldn't care too much how good it is in competitive battling, or if you insist, use only the ones you mentioned in your post: Blissey, Vaporeon, etc...

Asgard

Why you little...
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 31, 2020
    Just 'cause they're ugly to you doesn't mean they're ugly to everyone else~ D; Besides, some Pokemon look "cool" evolved rather than "cute". n_n (Like... I love how Porygon-Z looks, but I wouldn't call it cute.) Also, if everything was really cute, I know a bunch of people who probably wouldn't play. :\ They like the look of the stronger, cooler Pokemon, like Swampert and Piloswine. :>

I take appearance changes as a sacrifice to get a stronger Pokemon~ -w-

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    Like people say, cute is a personal thing. If I personally had a Piloswine, I'd probably hug him everyday and call him Snugums. Seriously, it's frickin' cute 8D

plus, the whole point of evolution is that the pokemon is growing stronger - if you have strength without evolution then you've lost one of the key points of the game.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    It happens the opposite way too! You have Nosepass and it gets 10x cuter when it evolves into Probopass. ~*^___^*~

But yeah, if you like your cute Pokemon, just use them. Unless you're battling competitively outside of the games, it really doesn't matter too much if you don't evolve your Pokemon unless you're using baby Pokémon. :| There are plenty of "cute" fully evolved Pokémon to use, too.

I kept Piplup on my team up until level 30 or so in Diamond because I hated its evolutions. 8)

Years
    Steelix is so cute! If I had one, I would give it a hug. <3 Red Gyarados/regular Gyarados are totally cute and powerful! Which Pokemon besides Swampart (It's actually cuter in DPPt) do you think are ugly? I think it depends on how the sprite is made. Some pokemon were made to look a lot better in Platinum version. (For example Purugly.) Pokemon I think are cute now: Metagross, Salamence, Manectric, etc. I LOVE my Porygon Z. It is incredible. I'm so glad I got Porygon in Veilstone. I used it against Maylene. I prefer these Pokemon over Pichu any day.

Spoiler:

Years
    I guess it's all personal preference. For example: Vulpix is quite cute I guess, but Ninetales is without a doubt one of the most breathtaking creatures I've ever (figuratively-speaking) seen.

Ayselipera

It's kinda like what happens with humans. Babies are cute, then they grow up and stop being so cute. o;

Age + power = Ugliness.

I have to agree with this. For example a little baby buffalo is cute but a giant grown up buffalo is smelly, large, and scary. Although this doesn't apply to all things because a cute puppy can evolve into a cute little dog.

Whismur - Loudred - Expoloud = cute at the begining while getting progressivly uglier.
    Cleffa - Clefairy - Clefable = stays around the same amount of cute the whole way.

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    Cuteness is subjective. C:
    I think Piloswine is cute. Now Swinub...yeah, that's ugly. I'll give you Swampert, but Marshtomp is cute too.

But really, what's so bad about ugly evolutions? Yeah, they're not exactly sparkly pretty but they're cool. Personally, I'd get bored of Pokemon pretty quickly if they were all cutesy fluff balls. I like my big bad man-eating monsters the way they are, kthx.

Inheriting stats though? That would be weird. Stopping evolution is understandable. But stopping evolution but still gaining the same power as their older forms? No, just no. Fluffy is weak. Fluffy may gain strength still, but it will never be as powerful as it could have been if it had just stopped whining and evolved.

Back