• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do Ghost pokemon have weight?

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
  • Because in some way, they are made of matter, and in some way, they aren't. The creators simply couldn't bother to make a fiction game correspond to science. :)

For example, let's take Gastly. It's made of gas, right? They why can it pass through walls? Because it's a Pokemon ;)

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • That's a vary good point. My guess it's because many ghost type Pokemon are composed of other matter.
    Like the Gastly family are part poison, Misdreavus's family has pearls, Shuppet's family are dolls, Duskull's family has sheets and bones, Yamask has the mask while Cofagrigus has it's sarcophagus, Drifloon's family are balloons, Litwick's family is made of wax and metal, Shedinja has a shell, Sableye has gems, Froslass has ice (and that bow thing), Frillish's family are jellyfish, Golett's family are golems and Giratina... Do I even have to say anything?

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2020
    It's probably from the souls they devour.

But in all seriousness coolcatkim22 is most likely right.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Hmm, coolcatkim22 is probably right, but I still think it'd be funny to see them get on a set of scales... xD

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    Because Pokemon is a game, and when they were making it back in 96, I highly doubt they were thinking that anyone would really be concerned about whether their ghost pokemon have weight or not. It's something pretty trivial, those guys always ask for a big magickarp or feebas or something, you don't hear "oh, i saw me the biggest gengar in all of existence!" But like the user above said, they are made of matter. Like all things on this planet, they'd be made of matter too. Matter has mass, therefore they would way something. Maybe a miniscule amount(because I wouldn't imagine their matter to be very solid/plenty.) The atom is mostly empty space, so maybe they just have A LOT of empty space in their atoms that makes it so the attacks just go straight through. Aha.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Because Pokemon is a game, and when they were making it back in 96, I highly doubt they were thinking that anyone would really be concerned about whether their ghost pokemon have weight or not. It's something pretty trivial, those guys always ask for a big magickarp or feebas or something, you don't hear "oh, i saw me the biggest gengar in all of existence!" But like the user above said, they are made of matter. Like all things on this planet, they'd be made of matter too. Matter has mass, therefore they would way something. Maybe a miniscule amount(because I wouldn't imagine their matter to be very solid/plenty.) The atom is mostly empty space, so maybe they just have A LOT of empty space in their atoms that makes it so the attacks just go straight through. Aha.

Gengar weighs 83 pounds, just for reference.

zombie101

Woah
    Years
  • maybe before they died you know you may be a ghost when you die

Hmm, coolcatkim22 is probably right, but I still think it'd be funny to see them get on a set of scales... xD
    Why do Ghost pokemon have weight?
    lol

Last edited:

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Yeah, I think most of the weight on ghosts comes from the idea of spirit possession.
    As coolcatkim22 was saying. Most of the ghosts throughout the pokemon world are based on the idea that a ghost is taking possession over some type of object or form of matter and bringing it to life. So although the ghost on it's own does not have any weight, the object or matter it's possessing still keeps it's original weight.

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
  • Shouldn't they have no weight at all being ghosts?

yeah, but isn't it because of they in a body like lickwick was a ghost type that was like a candle but ones that are like haunter and spirit tomb are like dust in the air but don't know why they have weight for them.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    yeah, but isn't it because of they in a body like lickwick was a ghost type that was like a candle but ones that are like haunter and spirit tomb are like dust in the air but don't know why they have weight for them.

Spiritomb haunts a rock that has weight.
    The Gastly family is made up of various poisonous gasses which I assume are heavier than air but none the less in a gaseous state that has it's own weight. We can assume that the gas is condensed enough to show a physical form and give it some form of weight.

Back