• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Do Most People Hate Ash?

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Poeple hate ash because every one will have someone who hates them and some one who likes them. In the show ash has people who hate him...like jessie, james and meowth.
    Technically, Team Rocket only dislikes Ash because he's always blasting them off and they never seem to stop failing at capturing his Pikachu with their thought up schemes. However, when it does come to certain episodes, Team Rocket has shown to be helpful to Ash and his friends - even his Pokémon.

However, you're right when it comes to an anime, more specifically a character, there will always be those who hate on him and those who adore him. It's basically what makes the world go round. For myself though, Ash was my favorite character throughout the show until May showed up (She just stole my heart, let's leave it at that). I still like Ash in the show though, basically because of his personality and his train of thought. He takes things to another level with strategy and disadvantages. Especially with the DP arc I have seen Ash grow more in skill. Taking new techniques to battle (for instance, his challenge against Fantina) and much more. In this season though, he especially stood out more because of his rivalry with Paul, which is what I think gave the anime a little spark this time around.

In short though, I have no problem with Ashy Boy. Yeah, he's sometimes naive and he sometimes just acts annoying, but that's just him. Every character needs some kind of personality, and that's just his.

and i think every new season should start with other main character :P
    It would be more interesting.
    Yeah, because changing to new characters every new season really gives an anime a boost in ratings.

/looks at Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh. :\

lewisr88

Chelsea F.C all the way
    Years
    I've personally never had a problem with Ash, he's actually remained one of my favourite characters throughout the anime. Granted he can be a bit stupid, naive, etc, but ever character has to have some kind of down side to their personality to give them life don't they? Well there are always going to be haters but that's their choice and it's up to them I guess. I for one will be kinda sad if Ash leaves the series as a regular.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    I absolutely adore Ash! he's like one of the best characters in Pokemon along with Brock, I'm not sure why most people hate Ash for a start I do admit he can be a little bit annoying and a bit silly but his funniness and will to gain what he wants to achieve kind of makes up for it but if people choose to hate or dislike Ash it's their opinion and choices.

Uruk

i'm gonna have me some fun.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2011
    ash is super-annoying and everyone knows that :D he's also still looking like a 10-years old after x years of his yourney :P

Trope

Protéger just au matin~Féerie!
    Years
    I'm quite neutral about Ash. Yeah, he's annoying at times, and yeah, his pokemon break about every pokemon law there exists, and yeah, for once I'd like to see him lose to a trainer/gym leader and not beat them on a rematch, but meh. Not enough to be willing to burn him on a stake. I do miss his earlier sarcastic personality, he's too soft now sometimes.

Now Dawn, on the other hand... -prepares the fire-

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    Yeah. I remember back when Ash would jump a guy for looking at him the wrong way. Last time I saw that was in Destiney Deoxys.

amberrelf

~♥HalleluYah!(:
    Years
    I'm fine with Ash.
    He has done some reaaalllyyy stupid things in his time.
    But he's not a bad character.

I adore him! He rocks. I'm happy he's letting his Pokemon evolve now. I like how he doesn't bring his previous gen Pokemon and gets new ones. Personally, I got annoyed when Charizard didn't obey him. He has grown into a better person than he used to be, and he treats people with respect now. As a Pokeshipper, I believe Misty would be pleased with the new Ash, and have a happy and healthy relatiionship. XD (Sorry for mentioning the girl I want Ash to be paired with.)
    Sorry? Don't be sorry.(: You're right, Misty would be pleased.
    No one needs to be a PokeShipper to see that.

Last edited:

Kai Yamato

Lone Soldier
    Years
    He's okay, I just wish he stops with these silly nilly flashy moves in battles. =/ He's a battler, not a coordinator. I blame Dawn's influence. Not that I'm bashing her or anything. ^^;;;

iDuL

I like Water Types.
    Years
    First off, please don't come in saying, "LAWL hax0r weres da action replay for that hacked pikachu" because its not funny.

Why is this. Hes takes many unevolved pokemon and makes it to all of the regions leagues, defeats many powerful trainers, and he and his pokemon have a great bond.

The arguement, "LAWL electric cant hit ground types or K0 rocks LAWL" may be false because obviously the shows physics are differnt from the games. I know theres some sort of level system in the show and i know many people say this, "LAWL if pikachu say my salamence it would get owned LAWL" which may not be the case. Pikachu may outlevel salamence heavly, maybe not.

I will say Ash acts rather stupid at times, but he seems to prevail in many difficult battles. Mainly because he uses whats on the battlefield to his advantage and has unique tactics to help him win.

Now on to how he treats his pokemon. I'll start with evolution. For one I don't think Ash would mind evolving his pokemon but they themselves sometimes don't want to evolve. He has enough respect to not make them evolve and to let them think for themselves. Giving away pokemon, this is one thing many people say, "LAWL why does he give away some awesome pokemanz keep them LAWL". Well think of this like a real life senario, if you had a bond with some like lets say, a child or some kind of pet, you would want whats best for them, no? Example, some teenage parents know they cant care for their child, as much as they would like to, so they give the child to a family that can care for the child better. You can relate this to Ash giving away his pokemon because they are more happy were they are, and Ash only wants the best for them.

Now I will admit, Ash isn't the best trainer there is, but maybe its how he cares for the pokemon which makes them care back and not want to disappoint him?

Well thats all. That probally sounded extremly nerdy but its whatever.

He doesn't make the choices, the people who make the show do. Pokemon the anime is a reality TV show.

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
    I don't necessarily dislike him or like him. I just find it that he is very predictable. Battles are no fun because you know who's gonna win. World conquests are no fun because you know who's gonna stop them. Overall mischief is no fun because you know who's gonna sic their Pikachu on you. I don't dislike him but it would be better if it was mixed up a bit. He is the kind of person who works hard at doing something and is always one of the first to take action, but sometimes it can get a little annoying and old. Plus, his voice doesn't really fit his body in my opinion. But that's just my preference. Everyone had their opinions. Mine is neutral.

When I was younger, I looked up to him. But now that I'm older, he seems childish, and considering the fact that he's been there since I was young, you just expect more from the character, you know? But the show wouldn't be the same without him and I think he should stay. Just mix his character up a bit and let others win sometimes. We don't want Paul and Richie to be the only ones who can beat him.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2010
    his neverending optimism in the face of impossible odds. someday pikachu will slap some sense into him and he'll start cutting

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I don't necessarily dislike him or like him. I just find it that he is very predictable. Battles are no fun because you know who's gonna win. World conquests are no fun because you know who's gonna stop them. Overall mischief is no fun because you know who's gonna sic their Pikachu on you. I don't dislike him but it would be better if it was mixed up a bit. He is the kind of person who works hard at doing something and is always one of the first to take action, but sometimes it can get a little annoying and old. Plus, his voice doesn't really fit his body in my opinion. But that's just my preference. Everyone had their opinions. Mine is neutral.

When I was younger, I looked up to him. But now that I'm older, he seems childish, and considering the fact that he's been there since I was young, you just expect more from the character, you know? But the show wouldn't be the same without him and I think he should stay. Just mix his character up a bit and let others win sometimes. We don't want Paul and Richie to be the only ones who can beat him.
    In short, this.

I actually do like Ash as a character. He shows good morals for those who are young and watch the show. Even when things are looking down in his favor, he still gives it his all - more now, than back before in the original. He's not a terrible character, he's just naive with his own given personality. It's what makes him, him in the show. A naive, growing trainer who's on a quest to be the best. However, in order to achieve that you never start off the best and you learn from your losses. In a way, it's kind of like a trial and base era which Ash is going through on his journey.

I can't complain on what he does in the show, as it's the writers who make him play through his role. If anything were to be changed about Ash though is that maybe he could grow up a little more. His voice actor is fine for the dub, I definitely never had a problem with it. His look, after watching the show for so long, he should have had a little change in appearance (something like how Ben in Ben10 grew up), but we'll see what happens with that, if ever.

tl;dr, Ash is a great character who shows strong morals that teaches the younger audience to not give up in life, even when things are bad. He's not the least bit horrible, and yet, he's not the best. He's Ash, what else is left to say?

Air Pichu

We're Safe and Sound~
    Years
    Really, I don't know what's wrong with him.... he can be stupid at times but he's not a bad guy!

doeboy9

This Guy Right Here
    Years
    I actually like Ash's current voice actor. I like to look at it as a form of character development. I don't dislike Ash, but more so how the show portrays him. I don't like he and everyone else is such a goody two-shoes. No one realistically acts that way. In the Original Series, Ash actually acted his age. He was shown to be racist, ignorant, intollerant, impatient, and all those traits we can relate to. But then around the Advanced Series, he and everyone else started acting like they were on Dora or somethin, like the writers were trying to make them saints so they could be good role models. I know people mature, but (I like to think Ash is 15-16 about now) but he should still be a prick of some sort.

Wait...When the hell did Ash ever act racist? lol

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Ash is just annoying and immature. His new voice actors suck, too, but I guess that can't really reflect on his character xD He's just not a character you can "connect" with. Most people prefer to be able to relate with a character. You just can't relate with Ash.

Celest8

Lance/Wataru's Stalker
    Years
    I used to love him, but now he just annoys me. He's gotten a bit too "soft" for my tastes. And as a few people have mentioned, he's also very predictable now. The final blow was his new english voice actor. I'm sorry, but.....no.

Years
    Having the same main character for the past decade or so is kinda tiring. The Special episodes really had the potential to be a parallel program but alas budgets? Writers?

Anyways having the same tired argument over repetition, COTD's etc. is just overdone so I'll leave it there and hope for a PokeSupe anime. :P

Back