• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do people call it 'Pokeman'?

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Well I'm sure this has happened to everyone at least once to someone else here. Why do almost all non-Pokemon fans call pokemon "Pokeman"?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Either to piss off fans or because they're older and genuinely have no idea.

Anyway, this forum is for questions about the forum itself, not questions like these. Though I'm sure this might be a decent discussion in Pokemon General. :)

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • A supermod will likely get to that as soon as they can. I'll be sure to reply to this seriously when it's moved to Pokemon General, as it's a pretty sound topic! 8)

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Awesome it got moved, thnx to whatever admin did it.
    That'd be me!

I don't notice it being said a lot tbh; if it is done for a joke then it's pokeymanz and I guess the people who say that that I know of like/d the games anyways.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm not sure I'd say this is a topic that can sprout fruitful discussion really. But oh well!

I guess it might be because there are a lot of other things that end with "-man" such as Superman, Ironman, X-men (lol I've actually heard people say X-man even when they talk about them in plural). Clearly I'm no English master but it's just easy to assume that Pokémon could be Pokéman if you don't hear or read it properly.

Then again, I haven't really heard people say that a lot. Most here know that it's called Pokémon but that might be because we are not English so we aren't used to calling things with "-man" at the end as much as you are. Maybe!

Rather, some people probably assume that Digimon and Pokémon are the same thing still (we should torture them haha) and say "-mon" because they assume it's called that because the other is.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    There isn't really much of a reason for it :/ It's either just a joke or a misheard pronunciation, as others have said. You can trace the roots of it, but I don't think that'll do you any good.

I'm not sure I'd say this is a topic that can sprout fruitful discussion really. But oh well!

Considering the current state of PGen, it just might :p

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I always thought it was due to the way some American accents sound, you know, the same people whom say 'baddle' instead of 'bottle'.

tnfsf11

Actually where I live, many mobs say "bokeemon" which is kinda funny since they're either mocking the word or just don't know how to pronounce a "P" :P (Arabic lol)
    Some people however may just be ignorant, maybe they don't know Pokemon is short for "Pocket Monsters" not "Pocket Man" (maybe like Pocket Bomber-man I wouldn't know) but anyway things like this happen, but it's not all that bothering I guess...

Last edited:
    Years
  • I attribute it to English speakers having no ear for language and treating every word like it's an English word. That's why you get something like "bonsai" (which is pronounced something similar to "bone sigh") being pronounced "banzai". Add to that people who have trouble spelling even their own native words and a little bit of Russian Novel Syndrome (glossing over words, especially foreign words and names, that you don't understand) and you've got "Pokeman".

Years
  • Even when it was at the height of its popularity, most adults I knew called it "Pokeyman," and always pluralized it as "Pokeymen." I honestly don't think that it was originally due to mocking it, but rather that they really didn't know how to say it (although if you read the word, I would've expected to hear "poke mon" much more often). When I see anyone using it on the internet, though, it's usually done to get under the skin of fans.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I think people say it like that for fun, or to tease the series...either that, or they just picked it up from some random Youtube video or something (you know how memes are...)

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • I usually end up joking and referring to it as Pokemanz, just because it sounds funny :)

What always gets me is the pronunciation of it as Poké - so many Youtubers refer to them as Poke-mon rather than Pokémon, which isn't a massive thing but it does confuse me a bit..

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2013
    Most adults and people aren't familiar with/or haven't played the game most commonly call it "Pokeman" as a mispronunciation.

Because of this it is a way to mock the game but also a sort of rallying cry for those who greatly enjoy the game by ironically calling it by the name that most ignorant people would.

Back