• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Do People Hate Grass types?

Have you ever used a grass type

• Total voters

Pikayosh

Epic Pikachu
Years
  • Competitive wise, there's really only a handful that are useful. That handful being Ferrothorn and Celebi. All the others are just sort of meh or only really fulfill a niche.

Casual wise, they seem alright to me.

well actually many of them are good maybe something like amoongus isn't good but I wouldn't know because i haven't used him yet

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I think people don't like Grass Pokémon that much because of how they have shallow move pools in general, as well as having common weaknesses to Fire, Ice, Flying, Bug and (to a lesser extent), Poison.

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2024
    Doing my monochallenge i Looooovvveee Grass types :) They are really easy to train against!
    But srsly. My wife and I are both fooling around with a Grass Type Monochallenge as well and My team seems to be pretty decent as long as it isn't just a status inducer grass type (there seem to be a lot of those)

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
    Years
  • As many people have said, I think a big reason is because of the huge amount of weaknesses. Also, seven types resist Grass. However, it's my favorite type; I tend to like the underdog, and I love how a lot of them aren't as straightforward as most other types. In fact, my favorite move is Leech Seed. Basically, Grass-types tend to be at a disadvantage type-wise, and they're a fair bit trickier to use.

Years
  • Grass Pokemon tend to have crappy movepools mostly limited to their own type, Poison, and Normal; to have mediocre stats aside from Special Attack; and to have a lot of weaknesses.

My friends tend to hate Ice-types, which I also understand.

Personally, my least favorite types are Poison and Fighting, but they're fine in battles; I just don't like the former because it seems like an amorphous type without much to tie it together, and the latter because all Pokemon fight and it seems redundant.

Pikayosh

Epic Pikachu
    Years
  • Grass types seem to have great speed decent attack and defense and pretty good move pools such as leafstorm, leechseed, sleepowder, cottonspore and many other grast moves maybe something like vinewhip sucks but they still have great moves and their weaknesses aren't very common at all

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
    Years
  • A common grass type is weak to:

Fire (Common)
    Psychic (Uncommon)
    Bug (Very Uncommon)
    Flying (Common)
    Ice (Uncommon)

Yes, they have a lot of weaknesses, but that doesn't mean they're bad. For anyone that thinks the rarity of my typing in the list above is BS, go ahead and speak for a larger majority, not just yourself. "omuhgod I have an ice and bug type, you liar!"

Sindrie

Eevee breeder and caretaker
    Years
  • huh I didn't know people hated Grass my two favorite types are Grass and Bug as much as people rip on bug I find it to be a very fun type to play with.

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2013
    Because in my opinion if you use a water and electric type they're pointless not that I hate them. Grass type Pokemon have numerous weaknesses and the Pokemon whose types are over them are pretty commonly use like fire, flying, ice, poison, and bug.

No one really uses a ground or rock type rather teach their Pokemon ground and rock moves like earth quake.

Years
  • I do actually like some grass types. My most favourites are Sceptile, Sawsbuck, and Liligant. I got a Sawsbuck on my Black team and a Lilligant on my White 2 team. Some of my least favourite pokemon are Grass types but I don't hate the type at all though even if they have 5 weaknesses. I'll just have pokemon of my team to back them up when needed.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • I hate grass-types because Bug is one of my favorite types, and it destroys grass-types! Heck Yeah!

Grass/Poison types are usually pretty cool, though.

matsuko

Alliterating Artist
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    i like grass type, some games make it difficult to chose, but in gen 5 snivy was a no brainer. it reminds me of excalibur in soul eater XD.

i suppose i'm different than a lot of people, but i always chose bulbasaur. it was the most useful for me even in the long run. don't get me wrong, i'd have loved to have had a freakin dragon, but it was a bit of a setback for the first few gyms....

despite grass having a lot of weaknesses, they still do have their useful moments. frankly i find it silly to ignore an entire type altogether.

Draco Razr

Elite Dragon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2013
    I believe everyone here would have used a grass type in their team because of its uses. I remember picking my first starter as Bulbasaur and loved it then realised that Razor Leaf was kinda buggy since it almost always landed a critical hit. After that, I began loving the fire starters because they were not only faster but powerful. But I am pretty sure there will be a grass type in your team to defeat the Elite Four.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I believe everyone here would have used a grass type in their team because of its uses. I remember picking my first starter as Bulbasaur and loved it then realised that Razor Leaf was kinda buggy since it almost always landed a critical hit. After that, I began loving the fire starters because they were not only faster but powerful. But I am pretty sure there will be a grass type in your team to defeat the Elite Four.

Haha, that bug only made me love the move and pokémon who knew it more though ;) At least when it wasn't used against me.

Falsever

Nation Blue
    Years
  • Yes, why do people hate Grass type?
    It's awesome and cool! Maybe people hate it cos the Powder moves.
    Well, I have no problem with it, it's still a type, like others.

Thergox

Average Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2014
    In my opinion, I'd say that Grass-types are looked down upon because there are so many of them and they are fairly easy to catch. Apologies if someone else said that, but I only read the 1st and 3rd pages (Laziness. Deal with it). You can say the same for other types, such as Bug (Definitely Bug), Poison (Especially 1st Gen), and also rock/ground (Take your pick), but the thing that divides them from Grass-types are the fact you can find Grass-types EVERYWHERE.

This also points out the many Fire-types around, but don't forget that Fire-types aren't as abundant as Grass-types area-wise. There is usually a 1:3 ratio of the Fire-types to Grass-Types (I didn't look it up, I don't want to know, that was a half-educated guess), which leaves Fire-types more sparse in the expanse of many regions and Grass-types just about everywhere.

I have no problems with Grass-types, BTW, they're all pretty cool and interesting creatures. My heart lies with the Ghost-types, but maybe one day there will be a Grass-Ghost mix beyond Rotom.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Generally it's because they have tons of weaknesses and their coverage is ****.

Take Lilligant for example. Everyone goes "OMG Petal Dance with Own Tempo!!!!!!1!111", and it's a really interesting combination, but really, what else can Lilligant do? Even with Quiver Dance, this is her only offensive option. And it's stopped dead by a lot of things.

Grass moves are an interesting asset to damage certain Pokémon, but a Grass-type Pokémon almost needs a secondary type to be able to damage things effectively. That could be said of a lot of types, but especially the Grass-type, since Grass moves are weak against many powerful types, and are generally inferior to Water and Electric moves.

Venusaur only became useful once they gave him coverage moves. Before that, in RBY it was hailed as the best starter because of good matchups against gyms, which was a fallacious argument, since whatever Venusaur couldn't beat easily, it sucked horribly against. It was the worst starter for clearing Pokémon Tower and Silph Co., and learned nothing but Grass moves.

You want to feel pain during a Pokémon game, try starting with Chikorita in GSC.

Back