• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do people say Infernape is so good?

PatJamma

From the ashes
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    I personally don't see what other people see in Infernape. My reasoning? Earthquake. Let's look at the other starters (in my experiences) keep in mind I have never EV trained, and I always get pokemon with neutral natures

Charazard - immune to earthquake
    Typlosion - can survive an earthquake from something 20 levels higher than it
    Blazeikin - i never really used it lol so idk
    Infernape - dies from an earthquake from something 20 levels lower than it

Plus Fire/Fighting have so many weaknesses

So why does everybody say Infernape is so good?

Hyperion09

fancy pretentious words
    Years

If you're trying to use it as a tank, then something is very wrong.

It's built to outrun stuff and kill from both sides of the attacking spectrum (ie. a wallbreaker or revenge killer), a job it does well with its versatile movepool and very nice offensive stats and speed.

Of course it's going to have weaknesses, that's what the rest of the team is for, to support and cover them.

Emperte

はがねタイプ
    Years
    Because it's a member of the group of Fire starter Pokemon that have many people hypnotized. I haven't used a Fire starter in ages

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    It's fast and Powerful, and if the EQer is part Rock type, it can OHKO it with Close Combat or Focus Blast (I have used an Infernape with higher sp. atk before).

den899pop

Jolteon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2011
    high attack ratings and high special attack ratings (even though i threw away my starter and used a jolteon from my platinum)

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years

If you're trying to use it as a tank, then something is very wrong.

It's built to outrun stuff and kill from both sides of the attacking spectrum (ie. a wallbreaker or revenge killer), a job it does well with its versatile movepool and very nice offensive stats and speed.

Of course it's going to have weaknesses, that's what the rest of the team is for, to support and cover them.

I agree,You got the wrong starter if you want a tank.Should of went with turtwig for torterra.

Years
    Each Pokemon is good in their own right, just because it can't survive Earthquake, doesn't mean it can't OHKO the Pokemon before it gets the chance to use a move.
    Infernape is meant for sweeping, hence the high speed and attacking stats. Infernape isn't good as a tank, but as a sweeper, yes.

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
    Years
    I personally don't see what other people see in Infernape. My reasoning? Earthquake. Let's look at the other starters (in my experiences) keep in mind I have never EV trained, and I always get pokemon with neutral natures

No, it can't
    Blazeikin - i never really used it lol so idk
    It also can't.
    As mentioned before it should be used as a sweeper, so it doesn't really matter if it dies easily from EQ. In fact, all three of these are sweepers.

Plus Fire/Fighting have so many weaknesses
    Well, it actaully has more resistances then weaknesses.

So why does everybody say Infernape is so good?
    Because it has a versatile and wide movepool. It has great attack stats, and as mentioned before, its a fire starter that no one can resist.

BlindClown

Small blob with legs.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2012
    It's one of many overrated fire-types. I only catch fire-types if I have severe weaknesses on my team which can be resolved by 'killing it with fire.' Fire is only useful if you have an offencive strategy, not defence, as they have huge speed and offence stats, as theycan be smashed with a pokemon with ineffective moves.

Poster

Will pixel art for pizza
    Years
    Ugh, what?

Anyway, in addition to what everyone else said so far, you 'don't personally see something in Infernape that other people see' because you are not the same. Every one of us is unique, and so every pokémon has unique traits. People judge pokémon by taste, stats (gaming wise), appeal and finally, personal criteria. This last factor is something you can't change, as it is definately something that everyone sees differently.

now, in your case, some people judged Infernape to be superior. Whatever. If you think it's underrated, then that's your own 'personal criteria'.

Finally, if you're just seeking an answer on 'why do people THINK Infernape is a good battler', then refer to Karpman's post.

Bellacrose

Lover of Wartortles
    Years
    If you're only comparing Infernape to how it lasts with Earthquake, well, that doesn't seem very fair.
    Firstly you should consider you whole team as a balanced group of some sort that should be able to mix and match for a better battle instead of just relying on that one pokemon
    Second, Infernape (as everyone said) is meant to sweep out easy pokemon. Unless you're going to stuff it full of vitamins and such, it shouldn't really matter. You're going to have pokemon that faint during a tough battle anyways. :c
    Thirdly, a lot of people love fire types for some reason. Well the starters anyways :P And he's just another one of the fire type starters that has become popular.
    But on another note, some people just like Infernape. A lot of younger players may not even look at stats and such and just want to play the game with their favorite pokemon. I know I did when I was younger. :P I thought it was okay to use Blastoise and use Surf/Ice beam on everything lol..

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2011
    Ive always felt Infernape was a terrible knockoff of Blaziken personally, I never even felt he looked cool.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    You can't judge a Pokemon's performance based on one attack.

He has high Speed + Offensive stats and can easily bring Pokemon down.

He can take care of ground types with Grass Knot and other moves, they shouldn't be able to get an attack in :3

There is a reason why Typhlosion and Charizard are in the lowest tier NU because they either have rubbish offensive stats and/or defense. Infernape is used more than Blaziken, because Infernape is far more superior to the chicken.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    You're judging it based on how it withstands an attack? That's unfair. You're not looking at the big picture. All Pokemon aren't meant to survive Earthquake. Some were meant to sweep, some to tank, and some...just weren't really meant to play a serious role in competitive battling. lol I'm no expert, but as someone that uses a Mixed Ape in Platinum, I can safely say that he's not on the team to take a Quake; he's there to hit hard and fast.

BonzaiMudkip

Senior Trainer
    Years
    infernape has very good attack stats, so that's probably it. But its defense stats are bad.
    I try to think of infernape as attack form deoxys if said deoxys wasn't a legendary/uber/whatever.

Back