• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do people want sequels instead of remakes of R/S/E?

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2022
    I don't understand why people want a squeal of R/S/E instead of a remake, I don't think people were asking for a squeal to G/S/C instead of a remake.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
    Well, I've seen a lot of both. I think people would want a sequel because of a lot of cool events that tied into R/S/E. I think a sequel that is a more advanced Pokemon thing would be awesome. Maybe describing how the events happened and things like that. However, a remake would be awesome as well. I'm just afraid that if they do a remake on if it would be worse than the actual series since it was a really good one.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Who is squealing? :( Editing the thread title, hehe. Anyway, I don't care if it's a remake or a sequel or a prequel or a dystopian future where Pokemon is on Mars. I just want to go back to Hoenn.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
    Because we already played through the originals and know how the original story unfolds.

And besides that, the R/S/E story wouldn't make any sense anymore considering nowadays Drought and Drizzle aren't reserved to Groudon and Kyogre. There is no reason for Team Magma to go look for Groudon instead of importing a batch of Vulpixes. There's no reason for Team Aqua to go look for Kyogre instead of importing a batch of Politoeds. And there's no reason for the player to go look for Rayquaza if both Pokémon are awakened, there's always Psyduck, Lickitung or Swablu with Cloud Nine.

Some (like me) are also a little bothered by the fact that releasing R/S/E remakes instead of sequels would basically reboot the continuity of the series a second time, since there has been no prequels since the originals were released (I'm taking about the main series only, of course).

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
    Years
    I for one would like BOTH remakes AND sequels.

Remakes because I want to re-experience Hoenn with updated graphics and added extras [like they did with previous remakes].

Sequels because I'm curious what could happen say, 3 years after Brendan/May finish their journey.

Plus I bet some places would look pretty good in 3D, like the Trick House, the Cycling Road, Mt.Pyre and the Hoenn Battle Fronteir.

Hero of Twilight

Rest in Peace Iwata.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    since it was so long since a hoenn came out, a sequel would make more sense then a remake of the same game since technology in the pkmn universe has come quite far since RSE

NRG

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2015
    All I know is that Hoenn battle music needs to return. Especially that all powerful weather trio music - dem battle drums yo!

On that note, why is music in wifi battling not labelled with it's proper gen and name, and why not have remastered battle music from all gens. (set your favourite as default somewhere?)

Even if it was DLC..

Edit: I'm not too bothered which they go for tbh.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It'd be nice if they were sequels, because then, we could see how life was like after the occurrences in R/S/E. If they're not, though, then it wouldn't really matter either way; I would just be glad to see Hoenn return. Hoenn is one of my favorite regions of all-time, haha.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    I feel why people want a remake is because Gold and silver got one as well as red and green got one. and because people want to relive the Hoenn region in HD like the gold and silver.That is my thought on it

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    In my opinion sequels would be much better than remakes. FR, LG, HG, and SS were good, but I think we've had enough remakes. I know the graphics would be improved and there would be new Pokemon, but what's the point of remaking the same story over again. I don't think remakes of RSE are necessary, what I think more people are interested in is revisiting the Hoenn region.

Personally, Hoenn is my favorite region by far, and I think it deserves to be expanded upon more, rather than just reinventing the wheel. I'd really like to see what took place after the story of RSE and what's been going on in the Hoenn region. How did the characters grow and develop? How has the region changed over the years? These would be really interesting to see in sequels.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Honestly with the direction Pokémon is going a Red/Blue remake would make more sense. Never heard any speculation on R/S/E sequels though.

Elements1

Meh
    Years
    I think a Hoenn game would be awesome, but make it like B2/W2 with it being in the future and getting new places to find, while still bringing back what we loved from the original games.

Although, this being said I think a game similar to HG/SS with the Karlos and ???? Region would be awesome as well. I'm torn between these two ideas.

Shhmew

Years
    I would prefer sequels I think, because it'd be a whole new story ^__^ Remakes would, of course, be lovely as well. At this point I'd feel lucky if we got either.

Also the reason no one was asking for Gold/Silver sequels was because at that time (before HG/SS were released), pokemon hadn't done sequels before, so no one had it in their heads as a possibility really. Now that they made sequels to Black/White (Black 2/White 2) the idea that they could make sequels instead of remakes for R/S/E is introduced, and it's an exciting idea indeed!

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
    Because having the 1st/3rd/6th/Nth Gen to happen at the same time is not pretty to think about. Already was it accepted that Kanto events occured in conjunction to Hoenns and the same wit Johto and Sinnoh. Besides, continuing the story after the teams have disbanded would be great to wonder about. I believe a single remake would come this time, though instead of pairs like before.

Crystal Glaceon

Devious
    Years
    I don't mind either, sequel games add more to what could've been brought to the table with the first game.
    I wouldn't mind going back to Hoenn now, because I might have a better appreciation for it

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I would prefer sequels I think, because it'd be a whole new story ^__^ Remakes would, of course, be lovely as well. At this point I'd feel lucky if we got either.

Also the reason no one was asking for Gold/Silver sequels was because at that time (before HG/SS were released), pokemon hadn't done sequels before, so no one had it in their heads as a possibility really. Now that they made sequels to Black/White (Black 2/White 2) the idea that they could make sequels instead of remakes for R/S/E is introduced, and it's an exciting idea indeed!
    Nitpick - GSC were sequels in themselves, following on from the event of Kanto.

But certainly a sequel of a sequel two gens after would have been odd. And it is a fair point too - hardly anyone entertained the idea of HGSS being different games being set in Johto because of that (before it was announced, though - not that it stopped people saying things like you could go to Hoenn in HGSS... or Orange Islands...)

Personally, I wouldn't mind a remake of RSE, but I would like to see a different plot in the setting of Hoenn as well. I know it well, and don't like it much (nice idea, but poor execution what with the actual schemes the teams resort to).

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    I don't care either way to be honest. I'd love to see a remake of RSE, but a sequel is great too. It would be just nice to see Hoenn in 3D. It's such a beautiful region and I want to see it in 3D. Though I'd love to see how they incorporate the cutscene of the originals into the 3D world. Though I've always wondered what happens after RSE' story and what happened to Brendan/May. Either way, I just want to visit Hoenn again cause I just love that region and gen 3 overall.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    I don't think people were asking for a squeal to G/S/C instead of a remake.

Gold/Silver/Red/Green were remade because they were no longer compatible with the 3rd generation onwards. That's not the case with R/S since you can still transfer Pokémon from those games to the current gen.

Rapture11

All about Battle Spot <3
    Years
    It might be better and more exciting than a remake, think of it that way. A remake of R/S/E would be awesome but in a sequel there would be new things, a new game. It would be awesome if we could get both though, a remake of R/S/E and a sequel to it.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    Another thing to consider, is consider the retcon that would be required if they did full on remakes. A lot of the new features wouldn't make sense in that time period. For example, Fairy typing and Mega Evolutions. It was stated in the Kalos games that the Fairy type and Mega Evolution were "recently discovered", so if we were to have either of these gameplay elements in Hoenn games, the games would have to take place at some point after their discovery.

Back