• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do Pokemon say their own names?

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    Why do Pokemon say their own names, heres my theroy:
    First, I've got a joke for you. "How are Pokémon and politicians the same?" A: For two reasons. One is, no one understands a word they say! And two, they both repeat their names over and over again! "Pika-Pika-Pikachu" = "Bill, Bill, Bill Clinton" I am Bill Clinton" "Squirtle,Squirtle,Squirtle" = "Bob Dole, Bob Dole, Bob Dole, come on people vote for me!" "Meeeooowwth!!!!" = "VOOOTEEE FOR MEEEEE!!!!" "Digglet used withdraw" = "This Presidential candidate withdrawled!" "Cubone can tend to be a mean Pokemon and cares only for itself" = Most politicians "Ditto is a Pokemon that has the power to morph or turn itself into anybody and anything." = Follow the polls.
    Hahaha! I'll bet now you've got it! I should have put this up front! And for those of you who didn't get those jokes, "What's the matter don't you watch CNN?" Anyway Pokémon do talk, by repeating their name's over and over again. But they do it in a different tone each time. It's just like Morse Code. In fact it's exactly like Morse Code! Take this for example: "Pika-pi-pi-Pika-chu-chu-pikachu-chu" To me he said "I am speaking English" Pokémon speak in Morse Code and sometimes a Pokedex can interpret what they say. But not all Pokémon speak by repeating their names over and over again. Meowth and Mewtwo who are the villain Pokémon besides Team Rocket, they speak in plain English. And because their the villain Pokémon they need to speak in English (or Japanese as it originally was) or else what's the point of villains if they can't talk. EXEPT FOR DARTH MAUL HE CAN GET AWAY WITH NOT TALKING THROUGH OUT STAR WARS 4!

"Pokémon saying their names over and over again?! Who thought that up? What a bad new idea!!!" OH PEOPLE! Pokémon are not the first to say the same thing over all of the time! REMEMBER THIS FAMOUS LINE?: "Beep, Beep!!!" YA! Remember the Roadrunner? His only line was "Beep, Beep!!!" And for 50 years he's gotten popular for that!!! This is nothing new!

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 2, 2009
    that only happens on the anime cartoon,and when you talk to pokemon on the games.but there cries are a weird screeching sound which i hate.

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
    Years
    That has got to be the best Pokemon joke I've ever read. I seriously lol'd at that one. =)

Anyway, Pokemon say their own names either because they're either incredibly egocentric or, more likely, Nintendo wanted little kids to learn their many, many names, and possibly hypnotize them.

But on the whole, as many things in the Pokéverse don't, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If Pokemon are able to say their own names, they'd have enough syllables to be able to say other words as well. But hey, I guess they just had to come up with some sort of way to give the Pokémon a little more expression, without breaking the entire thing and giving them full on speech. Something of a comprimise.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2013
    I think that Pokemon were named that way because that's all they can say. It started out as their cries and people eventually called them by that.

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
    It's simple, easy to remember, not too human like and quite cute (With some Pokemon).
    I somehow doubt there's any science or history behind it lol.
    Oh I also reckon it helps people remember what Pokemon are called :P

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    The fact that you call Episode I "Starwars 4" discredits your whole argument.

Also they speak their names over and over because that's what the guys in charge of translation decided they would say.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Because their tongues are made differently.
    and maybe its just to remember who they are.
    Its pretty hard to remember croagunk when it doesn't say its name.
    But some pokemon don't even say their own name, like dialga or salamance.
    I think the whole idea is just stupid though.
    If a pikachu can understand every other pokemon lingo, then why can't it understand human language?

devilicious

dream
    Years
    that only happens on the anime cartoon,and when you talk to pokemon on the games.but there cries are a weird screeching sound which i hate.

Guys, the thread was over with that post. The anime directors, for some stupid reason, wanted them to be like that, when in reality Pokémon are supposed to growl and screech and whatelse you hear them doing in the games.

Satoshi Tajiri himself said the anime is the worst representation of the Pokémon universe, and that if you want the real experience you should read the mangá.

ShadowWind

Senkei Senbonzakura Kageyoshi
    Years
    Why do Pokemon say their own names, heres my theroy:
    First, I've got a joke for you. "How are Pokémon and politicians the same?" A: For two reasons. One is, no one understands a word they say! And two, they both repeat their names over and over again! "Pika-Pika-Pikachu" = "Bill, Bill, Bill Clinton" I am Bill Clinton" "Squirtle,Squirtle,Squirtle" = "Bob Dole, Bob Dole, Bob Dole, come on people vote for me!" "Meeeooowwth!!!!" = "VOOOTEEE FOR MEEEEE!!!!" "Digglet used withdraw" = "This Presidential candidate withdrawled!" "Cubone can tend to be a mean Pokemon and cares only for itself" = Most politicians "Ditto is a Pokemon that has the power to morph or turn itself into anybody and anything." = Follow the polls.
    Hahaha! I'll bet now you've got it! I should have put this up front! And for those of you who didn't get those jokes, "What's the matter don't you watch CNN?" Anyway Pokémon do talk, by repeating their name's over and over again. But they do it in a different tone each time. It's just like Morse Code. In fact it's exactly like Morse Code! Take this for example: "Pika-pi-pi-Pika-chu-chu-pikachu-chu" To me he said "I am speaking English" Pokémon speak in Morse Code and sometimes a Pokedex can interpret what they say. But not all Pokémon speak by repeating their names over and over again. Meowth and Mewtwo who are the villain Pokémon besides Team Rocket, they speak in plain English. And because their the villain Pokémon they need to speak in English (or Japanese as it originally was) or else what's the point of villains if they can't talk. EXEPT FOR DARTH MAUL HE CAN GET AWAY WITH NOT TALKING THROUGH OUT STAR WARS 4!

"Pokémon saying their names over and over again?! Who thought that up? What a bad new idea!!!" OH PEOPLE! Pokémon are not the first to say the same thing over all of the time! REMEMBER THIS FAMOUS LINE?: "Beep, Beep!!!" YA! Remember the Roadrunner? His only line was "Beep, Beep!!!" And for 50 years he's gotten popular for that!!! This is nothing new!

well not all pokemon repeat their names techinally when nicknamed that is the pokemons name yet it still says its specie name also chatot can say anything so can ditto so there we go i just disproved your theory also you stole that bob dole thing from the family guy episode where peter becomes president of the smoking company and goes to washington to meet politicians

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Errr...OK. Next time you post. Make sure you paragraph or you won't be making yourself look good at all.

This is a big mystery indeed. But I don't think the answer isn't obvious:

The writers overdosed their beer when putting that factor in.

In other words. Those are one of the Anime factors the writers MUST have done while drunk.

Or the Morse Code theory, but I go with the Drunk Theory.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    Guys, the thread was over with that post. The anime directors, for some stupid reason, wanted them to be like that, when in reality Pokémon are supposed to growl and screech and whatelse you hear them doing in the games.

Satoshi Tajiri himself said the anime is the worst representation of the Pokémon universe, and that if you want the real experience you should read the mangá.
    I like and agree to what you said.

I can't believe the creator himself said that! lol

DDD'SSCEPTILE

GekkouKitsune : Shiny Master
    Years

I guess that's why in the games most of the Pokemon make weird noises when you talk to them, my example will be Zapdos in FR/LG, when you talk to it it goes "Gyaoo!" or something like that.

Oh, and

HI IM DAISY!!!!!11111

MARIO IS DA WINNAR!

WALUIGI IS NUMBAH WAHN!!!!

Kelster

Artist
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2008
    Because it's a children's show.
    Every game, (I think) they make animal noise.
    The girl in the restaurant in D/P says "Babies sound like Pokemon 'pyiaaaaaaaaa'" or something like that.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    I like and agree to what you said.

I can't believe the creator himself said that! lol
    Well there's a best and worst side to everything. The Anime happens to be the worst, for obvious reasons. I can't take it seriously anymore.

Anyways, this question can relate to the real world. Why do dogs bark? Why do cats purr? It's because it's the only thing that they can do to communicate with vocals. Obviously, Pokemon can't talk. It's also to create a small side-problem to make it more difficult to have human-to-pokemon interaction in the anime. Later on, it would depict that Ash and Pikachu can communicate very well, even if Pikachu is talking in his own Pokemon language; that would depict how friendship can mean so much, and all the other goody lessons that Pokemon has to offer.

Nevertheless, Pokemon was never meant to be realistic. You're talking about special creatures with unnatural powers being able to be withdrawn and released from a PokeBall through the conversion of matter to energy. The fact that Pokemon can say their names makes it very unrealistic. This shows that Pokemon names have had an actual effect on the English language. I mean, it can't be just a coincidence that Snorlax sounds like Snore and Relax, or Mister and Mime just so happened to be real human words, now can it? It's not realistic at all, just a kids show. ^^"

Just to point out that some Pokemon do not call out their names, more specifically the legendary Pokemon which normally give out a roar or a mystical voice. Also, Pokemon that can speak through the human english language are normally using a special ability called telepathy (they don't really use their mouths to talk). A few exceptions come to mind, like Chatot.

ShadowWind

Senkei Senbonzakura Kageyoshi
    Years
    WAIT I JUST FIGURED OUT WHY POKEMON SAY THEIR OWN NAMES!!!

Ok you know timmy from south park? and how he only says his own name and he has ADD so you know maybe all pokemon are retarded?

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Because the creator of Pokemon never actually bothered to think about a Pokémon's vocal actions, therefore their vocal abilities are at the lowest possible level without being mute.

Back