• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Why do so few people like Diamond/Pearl?

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2012
    Looking at some polls of people's favorite gen, Diamond/Pearl consistently finish last... something which I can't understand :/

In terms of storyline, it was slightly limited, but I found it generally the most enjoyable pokemon game I've played, other than Gen II.

For me, Black and White, and even Platinum to some extent, were a step backwards - I gave up on black, because it simply didn't live up to expectation, and the story just wasn't interesting.

Yet more people define it as their favorite Generation than Gen IV...

Opinions please? :D

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I think it was the over abundance of "ridiculous" Pokemon introduced, personally I love the Pokemon, games and region. I can understand why people slated DPPT but they're currently my second favourites out of all of the games to date, I've got no problem with them and I think they have an excellent storyline.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
  • I personally thought gen V had more useless pokes... (stunfisk? trashbag pokes? really?), but its story was kind of limited, and I hit a dead end after finishing heatran story. but I suppose most games are like that. Other than that, I though gen IV was quite good...

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2012
    As I said, I really liked them.

I think a lot of the people who voted Gen I/II the best (making them the unanimous favorites) were the ones who liked them for their nostalgic value.

Ultra - Retro Reviver!

Ultra - Retro Reviver
    Years
  • Diamond/Pearl were the best out of the Pokémon Series in my opinion. I even completed the National Pokédex for that game it was so good!

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Diamond/Pearl were awesome... when they first came out.
    But now, Platinum totally overshadowed them, making them look like they suck.
    Personally, the only reason I'd want to play Diamond now would be for nostalgia purposes. And even then, I wouldn't play it for long.

Platinum all the way, man.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Too many things disappointed me with D/P/Pt. Here's an incomplete list:

• Too many of the new Pokemon had terrible designs.
    • Way too many legendaries were introduced and most of them looked terrible design wise, especially Heatran (inb4 "hurr durr don't use them then derp derp").
    • Barry is the worst rival in the series thus far, with his "I'LL FYN U $$$ IF U L8" rubbish. That kind of 'random humour' annoys me. I understand Game Freak need to appeal to kids as well as adults, but still, they could have come up with something better for a hyperactive goof (which IMO isn't really a fitting personality for a rival character anyways).
    • The speed in comparison to R/S/E is unbelievable. R/S/E were snappy and straight to the point. D/P/Pt are sloooowwwwwww. The running, the surfing, you name it. They're just slow games.

I might add more when I can think of them, but those are the ones that spring to mind straight away.

The saving grace of D/P/Pt is the music. Some of the music in that game is incredible. Especially Route 209 and the Team Galactic battle music. Amazing stuff. Having said that, Pokemon has never majorly let me down musically as of yet, so I wouldn't expect any less of the composers who work at Game Freak.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I liked everything in D/P, until Platinum came along, which overshadowed both games. What I didn't like about D/P was the slow surfing speed and the lag between commands during battle.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • They just run really slowly and make it almost unplayable, now that there are gen IV games that run faster, like Platinum. When DP first came out, I was enamored with them, but MAN that surf speed. I didn't even notice the battle speed till Platinum, honestly. I find it impossible to go back to DP because of how slowly they run. Not only that, but I'm no longer in love with the region and Pokemon the way I was when it was all brand new. The Sinnoh region is tedious and HM ridden when it comes to exploring. The color of the grass makes me nauseous. The common music, like trainer matches and wild Pokemon battles, are quite bland. Most of the town music gets on my nerves. (Note I said common music, though. Legendary themes and major battle themes like Team Galactic and gym leaders are great.) Overall though, I wouldn't call it a bad game by any stretch. But for me, it's too heavily outclassed, even by FireRed and LeafGreen, which I hate. They're at least more playable than DP.

Point is, I think they're nice games, but there are a few minor details that bother me. I can get past those honestly, but the major problem is the speed. It just...slows down the whole game in a sense.

Years
  • The reason why Diamond and Pearl got so much backlash was probably due to the following reasons:
    • Lack of Fire-types in the Sinnoh Dex
    • Lag during battles
    • Less features than Platinum
    • Very slow running and surfing speed
    • Pokemon had weird designs
    • Too many areas that require an HM Slave
    • Too many Legendary Pokemon
    • E4 and Champion being overpowered
    • Gym Leaders lacking Pokemon of their specialty type

Yeah, those reasons made me decide Platinum is my fave Sinnoh game.

Years
  • I havent played Pt... I should go get it. I have only played D/P and SS. As far as i can tell Black and White is over-rated or the pokes werent good. I like diamond but, i agree, the surf is slow. Boo.
    Im going to go to Gamestop and get Platinum as soon as i can. :)

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    • The speed in comparison to R/S/E is unbelievable. R/S/E were snappy and straight to the point. D/P/Pt are sloooowwwwwww. The running, the surfing, you name it. They're just slow games.

Wait.

Did you even play Platinum?

Tyche

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Mar 6, 2016
    I felt like the game was super slow, even when the text is on the fastest it's still really slow, the combat also. It's definitely not my favourite pokemon game. I tried to restart my pearl the other day, couldn't handle how long it took to even battle. Theres such a difference between pearl and HG/SS B/W.

Years
  • That surprises me, cause Diamond was one of my favourite games. Then again I haven't played Platinum so I can't compare but things like surfing a little slower etc didn't bother me, for me there were so many other redeeming features about the games :)

Slashex

The Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2012
    I have Pokemon Pearl, Diamon and Platinum but i like most pokemon Soulsilver and Heartgold =)

Polizard'12

Pokemon Trader
    Years
  • I began purchasing all Gen IV and V games about over 2 weeks ago (I've played Diamond and Black on launch, but traded them in thinking I was over Pokemon!) Anyways, the speed does not bother me at all, in fact I played SoulSilver first, I've beaten Clair and now I started playing Pearl, sure its slower but not to the point where it's unplayable!
    I have nothing against 4th Gen either, you ask which was my favourite Gen, I can't really give a straight answer! :P

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Wait.

Did you even play Platinum?

We're talking about Diamond and Pearl specifically, not Platnium, so its speed doesn't really matter.

And, in answering the topic, I think because its storyline wasn't that enticing. Personally, I like the Fourth Gen DP, it was my first Pokemon game since GSC, so the graphical improvment amazed me. But after a few playthroughs it's not really enjoyable anymore.

BZW Golem

Conspirator~
    Years
  • I don't hate the D/P, but I like the least.
    There are many reasons for that, mostly I dislike it because it's so sloooow.

Yes, slow, idk what they changed in B/W but when I got back to playing D/P I got really impatient and couldn't finish the game @.@

The pokes are not the best ones, the region is not that big, the game is really easy to finish.. D/P are good games, but just not better than any other pokemon games.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I thought that the storyline of Black/White absolutely beat the DPPt storyline into the ground, which made the games far more interesting from the off for me.

Other than that, I found when I played through Diamond it all just seemed to go so slowly... I'm not sure if it was just the walking/running speed or what, but yeah. I just got so impatient with it.

Back