• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do so many people hate pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I feel like a loner in my school. I have yet to run into anyone here that likes pokemon..Well this girl that lives near me does (I saw her pokewalker one day) and so does this other guy, but other than that I'm pretty much alone! Ahhh, I dream for a day when I can find some others in my area to chat about pkmn with.

But yeah, people that make fun of others for liking pokemon must be pissed they never got to experience the joy of it. It's like dissing on strawberry ice cream because you never tried it before yet think it isn't as good as chocolate just b/c of what other people say.

That girl!

Oopsie, my fault.
    Years
  • Fortunately, from where I come from, people don't mind if we all get addicted to Pokemon. But there are still some who don't like it. Maybe it's overrated and they thought that only immature people would play it. Well, they're darn wrong! Don't let them bother you too much. They should mind their own business not butt into yours. If it's what you want, go for it.

They can hate Pokemon all they want but they have no idea on what they are missing. Don't forget, you're one of the lucky ones :)

~GodricGryffindor9~

WOW! THATS A LOW PRICE!
    Years
  • Well. Because its anime is portrayed as kiddish and thats what most people are seeing I guess. Plus... well maybe people are just more interested in nintendos other franchises like Mario. I mean Mario is the leading franchise of nintendo right?
    other than that all I can say is to each his own right?

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
  • I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't get made fun of. Go me! I guess its just the age group im in, at most unis i don't think people have enough time to care about what other people do.

Also, remember, there is a time and place for everything.
    I don't either, but I never talk about it. Actually, at my uni I used to get harassed by some of my uni classmates about buying the new pokemon games.

"You gonna buy DP?"

"Maybe."

"You should really buy it. It's gonna be awesome."

Repeat conversation 100X until I buy the game.

Yet I was the only one of my friends who actually beat the game. XD

Years
  • the people who mock pokemon fans are insecure people who are too insecure to play pokemon. these people are usually people who think that for a game to be good it must have guns and violence, and 16+ rating and must be a FPS. they are foolish people who let the age on the box dictate what the play

myrrh25

New account soon.
    Years
  • I don't get bullied at school for it, because I simply do not care what other people think.

Besides, my street cred at school was ruined when I brought my pink DS into school to play Pokemon on, because my blue one broke. Everyone was like "pahahaha he's gay". So i've really stopped caring after that. I now always bring my Pink DS and Pokemon SoulSilver to school, they don't give a crap because they've stopped caring, so I no longer care either. :)

Teto

- - wobbuffan. ☆
    Years
  • people don't hate me for it. ouo

like, i LOVE pokemon soooo much and people know that, but like .. i'm
    liked at my school, idk why though xD on facebook i'll post about how
    i'm playin pokemon or something, and people will like like it or just not
    do anything, but i don't get picked on or anything. i guess some people
    are just mean and they do that, but i haven't had any problems. o;

actually, a lot of people at my school like it, and i'm in 9th grade. people
    kinda assume i like anime cause of my asian-ness, so they throw pokemon
    into it and don't question it cause it's japanese .. ahah idk, stereotypes xD

but yeah, if people make fun of people for liking pokemon, that's just ..
    ugh. like making fun of someone for liking football or guitars or somethin >w>

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2010
    I can't really name a reason why people would hate pokemon now. Aside from it being a tad OVER popular back in the late 90's/early 00's, the game has become a lot more strategic and mature. How can people hate that? Perhaps it's denial. O-o

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2016
    Oh, there are many different kinds of people who have different reasons to hate Pokemon.
    1. "Retired players" and their classic excuse - "they ruined the game/series/Anime/whatever I can complain about!" (I usually say that about the Anime though).
    2. People who hate trends/addictive stuff/computer games in general ("It's a waste of time!").
    3. People who just hate anything that is referred to as childish etc, basically anyone who'd pick on you if you bring a pink DS to school and whatnot.
    4. People who hate RPGs.
    5. People who hate games where you catch/collect stuff.
    6. People who hated Guitar Hero when it was super popular, or Bayblade, or Yugioh, or Wii, or Digimon, or Megaman, or Sonic, or new-era-Sonic-games, or 3D remakes, or people who hate the massive amount of guitar players...see where I'm going to? People who hate ANYTHING new.
    7. *Insert more reasons here*.

By the way, not only I don't get laughed [a lot...nah kidding], but I even got some people to play with me from time to time...and if you get mocked or w/e, just let it slide people. It's your life, and it's ending one minute at a time [ahh Fight Club].

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • I never actually talked about pokemon in school or at work. My friends know I play pokemon and they play it too. Many kids in my class would play the new pokemon games if they had an ds, but they don't think it's worth the money, so they play on a emulator XD. There are people in my class who think that pokemon is for little children and claim the latest pokemon game they played is yellow, and yet, they know all the sinnoh pokemon.

Allmost everybody plays pokemon, nobody just talks about it.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • Oh, there are many different kinds of people who have different reasons to hate Pokemon.
    1. "Retired players" and their classic excuse - "they ruined the game/series/Anime/whatever I can complain about!" (I usually say that about the Anime though).
    2. People who hate trends/addictive stuff/computer games in general ("It's a waste of time!").
    3. People who just hate anything that is referred to as childish etc, basically anyone who'd pick on you if you bring a pink DS to school and whatnot.
    4. People who hate RPGs.
    5. People who hate games where you catch/collect stuff.
    6. People who hated Guitar Hero when it was super popular, or Bayblade, or Yugioh, or Wii, or Digimon, or Megaman, or Sonic, or new-era-Sonic-games, or 3D remakes, or people who hate the massive amount of guitar players...see where I'm going to? People who hate ANYTHING new.
    7. *Insert more reasons here*.

By the way, not only I don't get laughed [a lot...nah kidding], but I even got some people to play with me from time to time...and if you get mocked or w/e, just let it slide people. It's your life, and it's ending one minute at a time [ahh Fight Club].

All this is right. Heh, two of my friends have, at different times shown me their ds games. and my friends let me play her ds with her r4 card cuz she was in the shower. When I didn't see any pokemon, I secretly laughed at them. Silly friends of mine, pokemon is way better then that beauty shop game (even though I kind of had fun with it).

I'm pretty sure, atleast one of my closest friends considers me a nerd. But she doesn't say anything, because a game (or even show or cards etc.) doesn't effect a friendship her and my other friend probably talk to eachother wondering why I'm still playing though

Years
  • All of what ShinyMeganium listed.

I've noticed a trend though too.
    When it comes to my generation (the ones who are now in college) we no longer are picked on. Or shouldn't be picked on.
    Pokemon was cool when it was new, we all played it. Late middle school and highschool we all would play it in secret because it was "uncool" and you did NOT want to get picked on. U: I admit I too hid my love for pokemon because I didn't want to deal with getting picked on for more stuff.
    But now, in college, I know tons of people in real life from the campus and others online who are my age who are really into pokemon now. I know someone who is 26 and playing the games!

So.... when everyone begins to grow up, you'll start to see less and less hate on the pokemon. Because the haters will either finally become mature and not care, or they will become addicted.

Professor W.

Squirtle Fan
    Years
  • I guess people just want to "fit in" with the "cool" kids. It's one of those things people think are "lame" and "uncool." What's also odd is that kids' opinions change so quickly. You see, I'm in 6th grade, so I experienced the change. For instance,

4th and 5th grade-
    "Pokemon? I love Pokemon!"
    6th grade-
    "You like Pokemon? Seriously? That's so lame!"

See what I mean?

~Prof W.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2011
    Because of racist pokemon like Jinx and the craze about mudkipz XD They even made a website for mudkipz lmao...sig

Years
  • I guess people just want to "fit in" with the "cool" kids. It's one of those things people think are "lame" and "uncool." What's also odd is that kids' opinions change so quickly. You see, I'm in 6th grade, so I experienced the change. For instance,

4th and 5th grade-
    "Pokemon? I love Pokemon!"
    6th grade-
    "You like Pokemon? Seriously? That's so lame!"

See what I mean?

~Prof W.
    When I was in 6th grade D/P were coming out so everyone was all over pokemon,sucks to be you bro.

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
  • Most of the people who dislike Pokemon are those who secretly love it. I would love to see an experiment where that theory was tested. Like said, they just want to fit in. I could care less what those people think because:

"A fool is a fool who listens to the foolish opinions of other foolish fools." ^^

I've been waiting to say that for a long time. I hope someone gets it.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
  • Many because they watched and played it as a child, so now they think that they grew up, it's childish.
    Kids that think this way usually end up of getting bored of everything in life.
    But if someone bullies you, just be like "Hell yes I like Pokemon!".
    I do that every day and people shut up.
    Then again, everyone respects me...

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    All of what ShinyMeganium listed.

I've noticed a trend though too.
    When it comes to my generation (the ones who are now in college) we no longer are picked on. Or shouldn't be picked on.
    Pokemon was cool when it was new, we all played it. Late middle school and highschool we all would play it in secret because it was "uncool" and you did NOT want to get picked on. U: I admit I too hid my love for pokemon because I didn't want to deal with getting picked on for more stuff.
    But now, in college, I know tons of people in real life from the campus and others online who are my age who are really into pokemon now. I know someone who is 26 and playing the games!

So.... when everyone begins to grow up, you'll start to see less and less hate on the pokemon. Because the haters will either finally become mature and not care, or they will become addicted.

I agree. The thing that sucks about high school (and to an extent middle school) is that peole love to follow the crowd. If something is deemed uncool and childish they pick on people they see playing it. Though I haven't seen this at my HS yet, so thank god. But yeah college must be a safe-haven for pokemon lovers. People generally mind their own business there, and are more mature.

cystar

Favorite Pokemon is Politoed
    Years
  • See im what you call a popular kid im a frshman and was on the freshman football team and the only freshman on varsety bball and baseball and people wouldnt think but i play pokemon but i havent to ld one person how much i am into it like im obsessed

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    See im what you call a popular kid im a frshman and was on the freshman football team and the only freshman on varsety bball and baseball and people wouldnt think but i play pokemon but i havent to ld one person how much i am into it like im obsessed

obsessed..like amy winehouse obsessed?

'they tried to make him go to rehab he said oh no, no, no.'

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back