• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do some people think pokemon is childish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    [SIZE="a"]
    Cos they watched it when they were a kid but really, Black & White is aimed at the more mature audience so anyone who says it's for kids is wrong really, it's for anyone who enjoys it, kids aren't aware of IV & EV traning, natures etc.

Oh i never played black & white. How is it when it is aimed for mature audience? I really can't imagine it. For me, it's like more darker or so.[/SIZE]

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years

When people call something "childish", they generally don't mean "related to a child".
    Most of the time, especially using it in a negative light, they're referring to the "immaturity"/"lack of complexity" definitions of childish. These people that are claiming Pokemon is childish are generally not saying "the game was created for children", they're claiming that the game isn't complex/mature enough for anyone above children to be playing.

Nah, I'm going to have to disagree with you.
    If what people are really trying to say is that a game lacks complexity, they would say "The game lacks complexity." There is no reason why they wouldn't.
    Now, if they are arguing that the game is for children then they probably would use the word "childish". As for immaturity, that's a very vague term which can range from meaning "childish" to "overly moral".

In any case, find the arguements to be very lame, on both sides. Complexity does not make a game less for adults or less for children. True gamers can over come any amount of complexity in a game no matter what the age so long as the game's well designed. To call Pokemon grown up because it's has EVs and IVs is no more of a good excuse then saying Pokemon can only be played by kids because it's a children's game.

Maturity is a bad reasoning too. This is because most people dictate whether something is "mature" or not on whether it has dark themes or not. This is rediculous. Any body can throw dark themes into a game and call it mature. What makes truely mature games different then games that try to act mature is the point. Darkness in mature games is used to make a statement on the way we live and maybe bring to light things we are uncomfortable talking about. Darkness in unmature games is just used to attract people's attentions, it doesn't try to make a point it's just dark to be "edgy".

People that call Star Wars/LotR childish are just dumb, but that's completely off-topic. This basically sounds like you're accepting "it's not childish but people say it is because of its genre", which is a fine compromise by me, lol.
    Of course it's childish. I'm was just trying to explain why Pokemon gets more flack for being childish then Disney or Spongebob.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Nah, I'm going to have to disagree with you.
    If what people are really trying to say is that a game lacks complexity, they would say "The game lacks complexity." There is no reason why they wouldn't.

Because people are lazy and aren't going to go into a dissertation on why they think Pokemon is immature and not complex, etc. when they can just say the word "childish" and encompass all of them. I personally have never met someone who used the word "childish" and "meant for children" interchangeably. In fact, I've seen them distinguished between every time they're mentioned, in regards to many movies that were directed towards children but are not considered childish because they included jokes for adults so adults still enjoy the movies.

Now, if they are arguing that the game is for children then they probably would use the word "childish". As for immaturity, that's a very vague term which can range from meaning "childish" to "overly moral".

They don't need to argue that the game is meant for children. It's on the box and it's prevalent in a lot that they do (advertising in Toys R Us for example). It's a fact. The only argument they can make is that it's childish, as in immature and simple, with no depth to it. The rest isn't an argument.

In any case, find the arguements to be very lame, on both sides. Complexity does not make a game less for adults or less for children. True gamers can over come any amount of complexity in a game no matter what the age so long as the game's well designed. To call Pokemon grown up because it's has EVs and IVs is no more of a good excuse then saying Pokemon can only be played by kids because it's a children's game.

Maturity is a bad reasoning too. This is because most people dictate whether something is "mature" or not on whether it has dark themes or not. This is rediculous. Any body can throw dark themes into a game and call it mature. What makes truely mature games different then games that try to act mature is the point. Darkness in mature games is used to make a statement on the way we live and maybe bring to light things we are uncomfortable talking about. Darkness in unmature games is just used to attract people's attentions, it doesn't try to make a point it's just dark to be "edgy".

Of course it's childish. I'm was just trying to explain why Pokemon gets more flack for being childish then Disney or Spongebob.

The point a lot of people are making here is that maturity is more than dark themes, lol. I know some people think that but I feel at least the latest Pokemon games are mature without being unreachable for children.

Also omg I don't know what you do with your font but even though it's set at default size 2 Calibri I have to like edit out tons of code because of the way you're replying.

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen yesterday
    Why people think pokemon is childish is because the rating which PEGI 3, and like CoD which PEGI 16 I believe but Pokemon is indirect violence while CoD is direct violence shooting on eachother. While pokemon is indirect which means that when you see it you think it isn't violence while actually it like this: if you use overheat on a bulbasaur that bulbasaur obviously faint. But if you think a overheat will in reality just burn bulbasaur whole the way of it's body, Idk but I think that is violence.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Several factors play into why people have a stigma that pokemon is childish. Or they only see certain aspects of the franchise and over look the others that have more "mature" qualities, story lines, etc. So people also may just say that it's childish because they go with what their peers say, not because they actually thing its meant only for kids.

If forums are any indicator I see more teens then anything, yes there is also children as well and adults but it would seem teens incorporate a large portion of the franchise as well.

In my eyes pokemon is as it is rated E for everyone. If I grow up with the franchise as a kid and now I am adult I am apparently too mature for the franchise now? But more people seem to have this approach "I have grown out of it these games no longer appeal to me. I find games like FPS games more appealing." When it comes down to it, the opinion just seems like personal preference as many other things are.

Nomine

サトセレ
    Years
    The way I see it, I think that most people just believe it's a cartoon and a game. A lot of people that I talk to about it say they're "too old to be playing Pokémon anymore." What's funny is that some people who I know that think Pokémon is childish play Yu-Gi-Oh still. I believe that's it's just up to what they think is too young for them or not. (Their preferences.)

Years
    The way I see it, I think that most people just believe it's a cartoon and a game. A lot of people that I talk to about it say they're "too old to be playing Pokémon anymore." What's funny is that some people who I know that think Pokémon is childish play Yu-Gi-Oh still. I believe that's it's just up to what they think is too young for them or not. (Their preferences.)

Ahaha oh yeah i remember playing yugioh.. Trust in the cards heart... was it like that lol.. I actually thought it worked XDDD

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Well isn't that sort of obvious? It's a game targeted at children first of all, and the story is about a bunch of 12 year olds setting out their journey with cute little "monsters". Besides, people consider the GBC and whatever comes after it childish in the first place. People don't bother to look into the game either, but uhh I can't blame them, it's a kid's game after all so I'm actually not disagreeing haha. People will always be kids though so whatever.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    Because people are lazy and aren't going to go into a dissertation on why they think Pokemon is immature and not complex, etc. when they can just say the word "childish" and encompass all of them. I personally have never met someone who used the word "childish" and "meant for children" interchangeably. In fact, I've seen them distinguished between every time they're mentioned, in regards to many movies that were directed towards children but are not considered childish because they included jokes for adults so adults still enjoy the movies.

Okay, but how do you know when they say childish, it encompasses all of those things you said? If they're too lazy to say "not complex" or "mature" then how do you know that's what they mean? Are you a mind reader? All that we can discern is that you and any person who also makes this same assumtion, thinks that 's how they think about Pokemon. I need more evidense of these convictions because frankly, all I know about Pokemon haters comes second hand.

They don't need to argue that the game is meant for children. It's on the box and it's prevalent in a lot that they do (advertising in Toys R Us for example). It's a fact. The only argument they can make is that it's childish, as in immature and simple, with no depth to it. The rest isn't an argument.
    No, the box says it's E. E is for everyone, not just children. This is a misconception that is greatly underminding games everywhere.

The point a lot of people are making here is that maturity is more than dark themes, lol. I know some people think that but I feel at least the latest Pokemon games are mature without being unreachable for children.
    The latest Pokemon games aren't mature. They're just making it look like they are mature even though they aren't.

shaymin♥

Expert Trainer
    Years
    As others have said, it's a really simple answer: People have no idea what Pokemon is and judge it not knowing anything about the game. I really think it can be for all ages. I mean, there are adult cartoons on TV. Why can't there be adult cartoon games?

Years
    As others have said, it's a really simple answer: People have no idea what Pokemon is and judge it not knowing anything about the game. I really think it can be for all ages. I mean, there are adult cartoons on TV. Why can't there be adult cartoon games?

ah yes prejudgment XD

i wonder how pokemon will be in about 30 years or so... Do you think they'll still make them? Or will it be extinct? I make sure that my future children will know about pokemon XD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Think for a minute on who the mascot of the franchise is. That's right, a cute little furry-looking creature. That's a big part of it. People see Pikachu, automatically assume that the entire franchise is about cute little creatures that look like plushies, and so incorrect, uninformed opinions are formed.

The anime doesn't help with Pokemon's stigma, either. Not just because it's a cartoon, but because it's a cartoon squarely aimed at kids, with plot points and characters reflecting this emphasis on child-accessible entertainment. And of course, older people who disregard Pokemon aren't going to take the time, play 30+ hours into the games, and see how complex and strategic they are. They are going to make quick assumptions based on the most visible aspects of the franchise.

Years
    Well we played the games as kids when the series was very popular, then once some of us got older, we felt the need to distance ourselves from our childish habits and started playing more mature games, sad thing is, once you get to college, not many people return to liking Pokemon or they just keep it to themselves.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2012
    The anime is more for younger children, but the games, cards ect aren't really for a specific age. Surely, most younger people will collect cards ect ect. But it doesn't mean adults and teens can't have fun with them either.

Years
    The anime is more for younger children, but the games, cards ect aren't really for a specific age. Surely, most younger people will collect cards ect ect. But it doesn't mean adults and teens can't have fun with them either.

Oh yeah i remember in grade school how everyone collected them.. And how they all admired the rare mew card lol XD

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2016
    Pokemon is not childish, it is for every age. After all it needs a lot of strategy that a child (6-11 years old person) cannot possible have. I myself knew Pokemon games since 4(not understanded them back then).It was until I became 12 when I choose to pikc it on being now ready.Pokemon can be played by any person. It's just the anime that is for children.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2012
    Oh yeah i remember in grade school how everyone collected them.. And how they all admired the rare mew card lol XD

Yeah, haha! Funny :o!

And on my post above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ lol, the anime is kid friendly but older people can still like it and stuff .-. I watch it sometimes, Lol

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    lots of blabla

No, the box says it's E. E is for everyone, not just children. This is a misconception that is greatly underminding games everywhere.
    I don't think E necessarily means that it's meant for everyone, but that it's appropriate for everyone to play. It's targeted at children, but everyone could have fun playing it, that does not mean it's a game for adults. Dora the Explorer for example would be a children's only game, because it's not something adults would find amusing because it's an educational child's game, Pokémon at the other hand is just a regular - albeit kid's - game, which everyone can enjoy. It doesn't take away the fact that it's still a game targeted at kids.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Okay, but how do you know when they say childish, it encompasses all of those things you said? If they're too lazy to say "not complex" or "mature" then how do you know that's what they mean? Are you a mind reader? All that we can discern is that you and any person who also makes this same assumtion, thinks that 's how they think about Pokemon. I need more evidense of these convictions because frankly, all I know about Pokemon haters comes second hand.

Well mine comes from direct arguments with many people that dislike Pokemon for those reasons. But here are some arguments online for why people think Pokemon is childish, since you can't get more "proof" than other people saying it in this kind of debate (what are you looking for, an objective study on the level of maturity in Pokemon?):

Pokémon tends to be a bit of a 'guilty pleasure', something they feel ashamed to enjoy. Why is this? Because society at large perceives the Pokémon franchise as a whole as being 'kiddy', and they fear being judged as immature or even mentally retarded.
    Source

I'm assuming you meant the show, and I'd say it's more or less childish.

you think? How come?

It's an anime based on a children's game, basically. But it's only childish, which may or may not be a bad thing.
    Source - note how the games are not childish but the anime is, since they're both targeted towards children that would imply that there's something more there than "targeted towards kids"

The latest Pokemon games aren't mature. They're just making it look like they are mature even though they aren't.

You specifically said "it's a child's game", so now arguing it's not a child's game is just arguing just to argue. We're reaching the same conclusion, you have a really bad habit of nitpicking unimportant details out of peoples' arguments to tell them how wrong they are whether or not you agree with them. The question of whether E implies that a game is more for children than adults isn't a question for this thread.

As for your opinion on maturity:

Why do some people think pokemon is childish?

Comes across much better when you don't use solid "THIS IS FACT" language when you're talking about opinions.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    I don't think E necessarily means that it's meant for everyone, but that it's appropriate for everyone to play. It's targeted at children, but everyone could have fun playing it, that does not mean it's a game for adults. Dora the Explorer for example would be a children's only game, because it's not something adults would find amusing because it's an educational child's game, Pokémon at the other hand is just a regular - albeit kid's - game, which everyone can enjoy. It doesn't take away the fact that it's still a game targeted at kids.
    Of course it doesn't mean it's for everyone, I wasn't trying to apply that. There is no game that is for everyone, any game like that would be horrible.
    Everything else you said I agree with.

Well mine comes from direct arguments with many people that dislike Pokemon for those reasons. But here are some arguments online for why people think Pokemon is childish, since you can't get more "proof" than other people saying it in this kind of debate (what are you looking for, an objective study on the level of maturity in Pokemon?):
    Um, I can't quite tell but from the sources you gave me, but neither of the people who said those things seem to dislike Pokemon.

The first one is from "The Cave of Dragonflies" which is a pro-Pokemon site so I don't think that came from someone who dislikes Pokemon.

note how the games are not childish but the anime is, since they're both targeted towards children that would imply that there's something more there than "targeted towards kids"
    I don't understand the point of quoting that post. I asked for specifics and you reply with a vague post. I understand the point but the vagueness of it makes this an invalid proof.

You specifically said "it's a child's game", so now arguing it's not a child's game is just arguing just to argue. We're reaching the same conclusion, you have a really bad habit of nitpicking unimportant details out of peoples' arguments to tell them how wrong they are whether or not you agree with them. The question of whether E implies that a game is more for children than adults isn't a question for this thread.
    I'm not stating it's not for kids. You were they one who said, and I quote,
    "They don't need to argue that the game is meant for children. It's on the box..."
    I have never seen on any Pokemon box the words "This game is meant for children". So I could only discern is that you mean the rating which is not meant to imply who the game is intended for. It's meant to inform the customer of what the game entails so that they can make an informed decision. I'm sorry to get off track with this but I dislike misconceptions and it is the job of a debater to take apart any flaws in the opponent's points.

Comes across much better when you don't use solid "THIS IS FACT" language when you're talking about opinions.
    Well, sorry but that's what I was taught in school when writing essays. Always use absolutes when trying to make a point. If you believed my point was not valid enough you could have asked for examples and/or explanation instead of just posting a... humorous (???) picture.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back