• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do some people think pokemon is childish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Uh, what? You're quoting Toujours in those last two, not me. Pay attention lol.
    Of course it doesn't mean it's for everyone, I wasn't trying to apply that. There is no game that is for everyone, any game like that would be horrible.
    Aanndd I don't really understand what your point was then because you're just denying what you said earlier now..

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    Think for a minute on who the mascot of the franchise is. That's right, a cute little furry-looking creature. That's a big part of it. People see Pikachu, automatically assume that the entire franchise is about cute little creatures that look like plushies, and so incorrect, uninformed opinions are formed.

The anime doesn't help with Pokemon's stigma, either. Not just because it's a cartoon, but because it's a cartoon squarely aimed at kids, with plot points and characters reflecting this emphasis on child-accessible entertainment. And of course, older people who disregard Pokemon aren't going to take the time, play 30+ hours into the games, and see how complex and strategic they are. They are going to make quick assumptions based on the most visible aspects of the franchise.

I was gonna say something like this, it's the way the franchise it's self is portrayed. Since the anime was released in the US/other countries before the games, most people only know it as a cartoon. The anime premiered on a children's network in the US(and assuming in other countries too) so meaning it was intended for kids. The mascot is Pikachu cause it's very kid-friendly looking. If the mascot was another Pokemon, lets say Charizard or Blastoise then maybe the target audience would be older. Then again the story of the anime wouldn't be as interesting if Ash pick Charmander or Squirtle cause He'd just pick his Pokemon and go and have no problems with it unlike Pikachu. Unfortunately the games are judged based on the anime and it's mascot and not , Red and Blue's mascots, Charizard and Blastoise.

Years
    I was gonna say something like this, it's the way the franchise it's self is portrayed. Since the anime was released in the US/other countries before the games, most people only know it as a cartoon. The anime premiered on a children's network in the US(and assuming in other countries too) so meaning it was intended for kids. The mascot is Pikachu cause it's very kid-friendly looking. If the mascot was another Pokemon, lets say Charizard or Blastoise then maybe the target audience would be older. Then again the story of the anime wouldn't be as interesting if Ash pick Charmander or Squirtle cause He'd just pick his Pokemon and go and have no problems with it unlike Pikachu. Unfortunately the games are judged based on the anime and it's mascot and not , Red and Blue's mascots, Charizard and Blastoise.

ahah yeah I think that makes sense. I think pikachu was the first pokemon that i have ever seen and got me in to it.

bewbs

~Chloe~
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I think it's because Pokemon came around when a lot of people were young and since the main mascot is Pikachu, they assume it's for kids. But really it's for all ages.

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
    Pokemon is childish to people because the anime is targeted to children, but then again it takes strategy that I don't little kids would get, I mean imagine a 5 year old breeding for shinies, EV training and actually catching pokemon for their stats and moves instead of its looks.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    What did I say earlier that I was denying?

First you said this:
    No, the box says it's E. E is for everyone, not just children. This is a misconception that is greatly underminding games everywhere.

Then later you say this:
    Of course it doesn't mean it's for everyone, I wasn't trying to apply that. There is no game that is for everyone, any game like that would be horrible.
    Everything else you said I agree with

Well if you weren't tryping to "apply" that then why do you say it lol?

~V~

"Winds of a New Beginning"
    Years
    Well we played the games as kids when the series was very popular, then once some of us got older, we felt the need to distance ourselves from our childish habits and started playing more mature games, sad thing is, once you get to college, not many people return to liking Pokemon or they just keep it to themselves.

Pokemon is huge in my College. I see several people playing pokemon on emulators during class daily. One of the biggest "clubs" at the college is pokemon.

I think Pokemon is considered a child's game because most people started playing the games when they were young. Plus the games are rated E for Everyone by the ESRB in the States. However, I am curious to see how many adults play Pokemon versus children.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    First you said this:
    Then later you say this:

Well if you weren't tryping to "apply" that then why do you say it lol?

Okay, I'm making this way more confusing then it needed to be. Let me explain.

In the first quote I meant that E means that it's for everyone, i.e. a ten year old can buy it without needing an adult's permission.

In the second I mean that no one game is for everyone, i.e. a certain game may appeal to some people but there will always be those who do not like it.

mr.bob467

youngster Bob
    Years
    most people are just trying to act cool. everyone i knew said pokemon was childish. i started playing pokemon at a football game once. everyone gathered around to watch.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
    In my opinion... I don't really see Pokemon as childish. It merely has a lighter tone to it. When things have a lighter tone, it usually means that they have a lower ESRB rating, in this case "E for Everyone".

To the uneducated eye, this usually means "Kiddie game", or "Casual game". And due to it's cartoon style, people usually assume the former. (Remember what happened with Wind Waker?)

As for those who remember Pokemon from around 1998-2000, the anime does indeed seem more childish than the games, and since most people that were subject to Pokemon when it was a fad were not gamers, the anime and all the kids playing the game at the time is probably all they know, and probably where the stigma that they associate with it comes from.

So, this perception is really a combination of a few things.

droomph

weeb
    Years
    Well, because we all have our interests that we think are "mature" and stuff.

Everything has a good and a bad side. Pokémon helps with long-term planning and not making regrettable mistakes that seem like a good idea at the time. Shooters helps with quick reactions. So we can all agree that whatever we want or need to improve on we'll consider what doesn't help us as "immature" or "kiddish" because we're all built to ignore things we don't need.

tl;dr So what it all boils down to is personal preference.

Evoslingerr

III Generation Enthusiast
    Years
    You shouldn't really worry that much. Let me tell you my story. Right now I'm in college, I've played Pokémon since the Red Version came a lot of years ago. Pokémon has evolved in many ways, specially in its toughness. I was lucky enough to find some other people who became interested in the game because of its complexity, and I'm talking you about guys of over 20 years old that study medicine. While it may be true that Pokémon is a game directed for kids, in order to fully experience the toughness and complexity it has to offer you should probably be a little bit older.

CyanFlame

Gotta get the sauce
    Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2012
    The Pokemon games in general might me targeted toward children, but some of the Pokedex descriptions might be targeted to get children AWAY from Pokemon, or to get them to behave. And Lavender Town in Pokemon Red o.o...

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Well, it's because Pokemon is targeted towards children. Especially the anime. The anime in America is targeted for maybe 4 and above as to the games are targeted to children maybe 7 and above. But I wouldn't say Pokemon is just for children I say it's for everyone: children teen and adults alike.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Because the target audience for pretty much all parts of the franchise is children? That being said, I imagine if people actually take more of a passing interest in Pokemon and sit down with a game or something else, they'll see that there is a lot more depth than their surface-level opinions would lead them to believe. I hope, at least.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back