• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do the Japanese use English words so much?

nicoleb

Whannell's hot.
Years
  • I just wanted to know why the Japanese do it. In songs, in Anime titles, etc. I'm not saying it doesn't sound/look cool. I think it's a great idea. "Hora, Catch you, catch you, catch me, catch me, Matte!" But what I want to know is, what gave them that idea? Why did the Japanese decide to use English characters so much?

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    now, should someone move this to Anime/Manga or could this stay here? XD

ah well, they tend to borrow a lot of words...heck, even Anime was taken from america's "Animation", still, they borrow lots of words from all over the place

Eliana

The |R a m p a g e|
    Years
  • Hm...XD Well you do have a point there, Digi....=3 Point taken...I have no knowledge of Japanese stuff, but I will move it~

~Eli

P.S As I have said before supposing I made a stupid move, sorry! XD

Imite

イミテとメタ&#
    Years
  • Well, mainly because it's cool.

I mean, I know that us looking at some giant sign advertising "Burgers Let's!" may not seem like Coolsville to us, but it's cool for them because it's a different language. Believe it or not, Japanese people like American stuff, just like lots of us like Japanese stuff. It also makes them seem a little more intelligent, because it's in another language.

By that same token, why do a lot of anime fans use words like 'kawaii' and 'neko' and greet each other with 'konnichiwa' ? Whether we care to admit it or not, we consider it cool because it's a different language. And how many music artists use words from other languages in their songs just for effect or because it sounds different or cool? It's basically like that. It just stands out to us, because "Ai ravu yuu" sounds more like an exotic dish than a love confession.

Last edited:

devilicious

dream
    Years
  • Make a search at PC.

2/3 of the members have something Japanese on their profile.
    So don't be surprised if at a Japanese forum ya see a lot of people with English words in their profile~

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
  • We think the word 'kawaii' and the Japanese ending 'chan' is really neat, so vice versa, they think the word 'cute' and 'friend' are also neat! We really like eachother's language, that we do :3

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • I'm confused... I'm Japanese but I don't tend to use Enlgish a lot when talking with Japanese friends back in Japan, nor I see lots of English in Japanese forums (but instead of English, some Korean here and there).

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • I suppose it may just be trendy to have English spoken in some anime and in Japanese society as a whole. I've had a person tell me before that in some schools, the children prefer to speak English to speaking with their own language. There may be a lot of english on japanese signs because it's so much simpler than their languages. Not only do they have two separate alphabets that consist of syllables instead of sounds, but their other method, the pictographic kanji, has thousands of symbols in endless combinations and represent concepts instead of sounds. I can definitely understand why the Japanese would prefer the romanized alphabet over their own writing systems. I take it that english is mandatory in the lower grades of school as well (for business reasons, I would guess, as much as an American would want to learn Japanese for business reasons) and therefore soon becomes second nature to them. As others have said, it's merely exotic, even if many people only partially grasp it.

www.engrish.com is quite possibly my favorite site on the internet. It shows what happens when the Japanese and Chinese aren't fluent in english...

Chiru

I dun use this account any mo'
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 31, 2013
    Chairman Kaga said:
    www.engrish.com is quite possibly my favorite site on the internet. It shows what happens when the Japanese and Chinese aren't fluent in english...

That site is amazing. I was going to post it here, but CK beat me to it XD. You should definately go there for a few good laughs.

Have a good die!

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 23, 2014
    Well... The Japanese adore our Western culture. They borrowed heavily from us during the Meiji Restoration, no? They basically adore foreign stuff. Which is why they dye their hair blond, other colors, etc. o.o; And also the use of English and other languages in their songs. <<; (I'm just generalizing here) a lot of their names were borrowed from originally English names - for example - 'Arisu', which came from 'Alice'.

People tend to have a sense of curiousity towards the unknown, or strange ('foreign') Yeah, which is why I have the 'Miyu-chan' in my username. xDDD

zero-hunter x7

The Hunter
    Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2014
    yeah, maybe it is because they like how our words sound, I mean, I like how japanese sounds more then english for some strange reason. Probably because I like how they talk fast... Maybe they like some aspect of our speech or something like that

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Re-sublimity - Kannazuki no Miko OP

Haruka ni sotto yurameku urei Kattou no kioku ni ugokasare
    Mabuta ni zutto haritsuku shiroi zekkyou ni kogoeta
    Shizumu tsuki no mayoi
    Sonzai wa tashikani Ima koko ni
    Matte iru no wa
    Namida nado mou nagasanai
    Tada dakiaeru shunkan The confusion of the setting moon
    Ienai... Kikenai... Mienai... Maboroshi dake
    Toki no mukou kawa e to nagasarete Mayoigo ni naru Yurusenu negai
    Koe dake... Yubi dake... Chikazuku ondo dake...
    Todokanu omoi ga Chigirarete yokaze wo someru
    Soko wa kitto mayakashi to guuzou datte ki ga tsuiteta
    Sore nanoni fukai zassou no naka Amai mi futto mi wo yudaneta
    Noboru taiyou no mayoi
    Guuzen wa hisoka ni shikumareta
    Isso hitsuzen
    Me no mae ni ima sarasareta
    Fukaku ni yugamu kanjou
    Nakenai... Kosenai... Wakaranai... Ketsumatsu nado
    Doko e yukoutomo Tada kimi dake wo mamoritakute Sakaratteiru
    Ima dake... Kako dake... Tsugunau mirai dake
    Sukueru no naraba Kare hatete kietemo ii to
    Ienai... Kikenai... Mienai... Maboroshi dake
    Toki no mukou kawa e to nagasarete Moyoigo ni naru Yurusenu negai
    Koe dake... Yubi dake... Chikazuku ondo dake...
    Todokanu omoi ga Chigirarete yokaze wo someru
    Kare hatete kietemo ii to
    Kimi dake no hikari ni naru to

and don't give me the "It's in the title" stuff" XDactually i just heard this a while ago XD

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 23, 2014
    I don't think Tori no Uta has English in it also... does it? o.o;

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • Deviruchi said:
    Make a search at PC.

2/3 of the members have something Japanese on their profile.
    So don't be surprised if at a Japanese forum ya see a lot of people with English words in their profile~
    Good point. =D

*pokes username*

...what DOES "no" mean in Japanese, anyway? o.o;

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2006
    "no" is a possessive marker. It could be equated to the possessive apostrophe. For example, "Tenshi no Shippo" could be translated to "Angel's Tail" or "Tail of the Angel".

"Tori no Uta" would be "Bird's Song" or "the song of birds" or something.

Years
  • Same reason we use Japanese words. I mean, you look at the forums and there are a great deal of Japanese words being used:

Usernames: San, Kun, chan, ext
    Words: Kawaii ext

You know, using Japanese seems cool to those who like the Japanese culture but can't speek the language...and thus the same goes for the Japanese using English words ^ ^

Back