• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do we ROM-hack?

Do you love hacking? Please be honest......

• Yeah, I sure do!

Votes: 598 91.7%
  • Nah... Not interested...

Votes: 39 6.0%
  • I Just Wanna Play Hacks

Votes: 15 2.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke128th

These days shall pass...
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jun 1, 2012
    My Hacking Dream

There are several specific reasons why I hack. One is to get my mind off of the bothersome things in life. But since I've been playing Pokemon games since RBY, when I got to GSC I was amazed at the fact that they had both regions in it! But when it got to RSE I was a bit disappointed. I mean sure they couldn't make all THREE Regions in the game... But then I found hope. I found this site and saw all the possibilities for the Pokemon games. When I first downloaded A-Map, I was amazed! And from that began my adventure at making Pokemon: Regions. This has been my dream for the Advanced generation of the Pokemon games. And that is why I like hacking: I get to realize my dreams.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    It's not really a past time thing for me, because I usually don't have enough time. I just wanted to create a hack of my own the way I wanted to.

Vyro

Master Douchelord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    why do we hack?... It's easy enough to answer... we hack because it lets us create our perfect pokemon game, and all our ideas can be finally put to use...

Years
    Years
    i think that hacking is for people that aren't successful on the game so they turn to hacking
    I don't think you have the right idea of our form of hacking.
    I think the hacking you're thinking of is hacking the ram and cheating.
    This form of hacking that this thread refers to is altering the rom to create a new game, with a new storyline, and express your idea on how the Pokemon(or any other world) world should be.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2022
    I play Pokémon since I was 3 years old and it interest me always if new Pokémon and Games were out. But I don't know why :D

Teh Baro

In my times...!
    Years
    I DON'T Hack because I spend my time on making real games, hacking just never intrested me.
    Hacking is like making a game, but a lazy way, since you get a basic engine to start with.
    But making games from scratch or almost-scratch is pretty cool. I've found an adventure game maker (AGS) and I'm going to start an adventure game myself.

KhaosKnight

The 1 and only Khaotic Hacker
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2015
    I hack because it gives me somthing to do, lets me implement my creativity, hang on awesome boards such as these and a way to make my own pokemon adventure to call my own shots and add my own pokemon maps ect, ya know, the works.

Plus i would like to read what people say after they play my hack('s), it gives me a sense of accomplishment :cool:

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    Why do I hack?

Well, The reason I hack is simply because I love the undescribable feeling of making an actual (not reeeeally) game. I've always wanted to make my own games. In fact, I've designed a storyline, 4 YEARS AGO, at least. And Nintendo, being the unowat's they are, thought it was good, but that I should leave it to the designers. And now, looking back on that, I think this: If i makeup an awesome story and pokemon (which it seemed to me), doesn't that make me a designer?

Anyway, now that I've discovered how to rom hack, I'm going to turn the (official) game that nintendo dished out into what i want it to be.

And that's why I hack.

Melash

Back for now.
    Years
    The reason I hack?

Well, it gives me something to do. I do have a social life...but this adds more to it, you know? I also like hacking because it's a challenge to try and script and all that other stuff. You know, it's a learning experience!
    Why do I hack?

Well, The reason I hack is simply because I love the undescribable feeling of making an actual (not reeeeally) game. I've always wanted to make my own games. In fact, I've designed a storyline, 4 YEARS AGO, at least. And Nintendo, being the unowat's they are, thought it was good, but that I should leave it to the designers. And now, looking back on that, I think this: If i makeup an awesome story and pokemon (which it seemed to me), doesn't that make me a designer?

Anyway, now that I've discovered how to rom hack, I'm going to turn the (official) game that nintendo dished out into what i want it to be.

And that's why I hack.
    Hey, I'm the same as you! Years ago, I came up with my idea for a Pokemon game! I sent it to Nintendo, but they told me the EXACT same thing! It's not Awakened Legnends, but I'll soon make it real!

NatureKeeper

When i began with the emulation world, I was searching for a ruby rom. I found always: Pokemon Ruby Destiny. I was starting to get wild. When I clicked PokeCommunity i found the Reign of Legends Forum Thread so I downloaded it and played and i knew this was a hack so the game was fun. Why shouldn't we make games too?

Mechz

Nostalgist
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2012
    I wanted to ROM-hack, because I wanted to bring balance to Pokemon. However, I have since changed my mind... Pokemon may be unbalanced in that it has TIERS; but think of how things would be if Nintendo decided to make 493+ Pokemon (or at least, just their final forms) balanced. We would have one ****ing huge tier that's just a big messy guessing game. At least now with Uber, OU, BL, UU, and NU, we have a way of using every Pokemon without turning Pokemon into a guessing game. No, it's not already a guessing game--- It's a prediction game. I find the two to be quite different. In my mind, a guess is broader than a prediction; while a prediction is a guess that narrows down to few possibilities.

It's not at all like other games with Tiers. There's no "bottom tier only" tournaments in Smash Brothers. It's either use Peach, Shiek, Falco, Fox, or Marth... or gtfo! :D

However, I do not like how a lot of moves (about 80% of them) are completely useless or too circumstantial to make it into movesets. On one hand, 100% of them being useful would again make the game a mess... But it's getting annoying seeing the same ~9 moves pop up on every single moveset. I think 60-70% of the moves being useless low-level fodder is more fair. After all, high PP moves ARE important to the RPG aspect of the game. Just a bit more care for high end gameplay would be nice. :]

In the end, I'm still hacking just because I want to re-make RBY. I want to make it more challenging by giving gym leaders well thought-out teams that even Pokemon's "AI" can play on par with a human for 10 rounds. I want to give the players more variety by giving them things like rods earlier, and adding just a few more Pokemon to the routes. Vulpix is a fox. Foxes hide in fields. So why can't you get one early game? :D Despite what I said above, I'm still looking for a way to make it so the original 151 Pokemon will all fit into THREE tiers, instead of FIVE. UU, which in my game will be meant for OU capable Pokemon which simply require more thought or skill to use. Then there's OU, which would feature your Alakazam, Starmie, Chansey, etc... Who are straightforward and predictable, yet still potent. Finally there would be the Uber tier, which is just for Mewtwo and Mew... Since you really can't make them OU without ruining the point of their existances.

Last edited:

iRawr-x

Water PokEmon LOvver
    Years
    Yes, I think that hacking is really fun, It expresses your imagination and your opinion of what Pokemon should be like. And you It could also show how much you know about Pokemon as well, I would really like to make my own hack someday but mehh.. too hard ;P I would really like to express my imagination and Pokemon love in some other way. And I had decided by making a Pokemon story ;D

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2010
    People ROM hack because its fun, a good experience, and you get alot out of it, like a great game and improvement on editing and such.

Rob-120

~Revived~
    Years
    I do it because I'm bord and have nothing else to do bcause I've completed pretty much every game we have at my house...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back