• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do you suppose many people don't investigate their belief system?

Years
Why should your belief system be investigated unless there is a need to do so?

I feel a constant need for my beliefs to reflect - or rather to make sure that my beliefs do not misrepresent reality. Why do I feel the need? good faith? discipline? But why even that? I suppose it's to have productive and meaningful exchange. If both parties are rooted in their beliefs, not aware of their assumptions - perhaps not even aware that they may have assumptions - then how can they disagree without simply agreeing to disagree? No learning, no empathy, no respect can come from no exchange. It takes two to tango, so one might as well show good faith by going halfway (which is as far as one can). And if one don't commit this to a habit, then it'll be all too easy to fall back on the emotionally easier option, which is closing his mind and rooting himself further in his beliefs. To me, the need to investigate your belief system goes as far as your need/want to have productive conversation. You might have different uses for conversation, or value it in qualitatively different ways, but I believe that desire to have it is fundamental.

Back