• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do you think the iPhone is only avaliable on AT&T in the US

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Heck even Virgin Mobile Canada offers the iPhone. If pre-paid carriers can easily offer it outside the US why can't other postpaid carriers do it within the US?

Eeohnex

Illuminate
    Years
    I have myself an iPhone 3GS and I'm currently living in Mexico City, of course I had to buy a new SIM card for it to work which wasn't expensive at all. I bought my iPhone in California when I used to live there, now I have it as a pre-paid phone.

RaveSage

Eccentric Sheep
    Years
    Gary is actually correct. The iPhone is currently only available through AT&T due to a contract that ends some time this year iirc. After that point it will be spreading out to other major carriers like Sprint and Version.

John-117

Jirachi lover
    Years
    this also bring me another question. Why almost every US phone company need to use "their" phone? I mean is I can't put a sim card on my Nokia 3110c phone for example.

Neo Pikachu

Forever Gold
    Years
    this also bring me another question. Why almost every US phone company need to use "their" phone? I mean is I can't put a sim card on my Nokia 3110c phone for example.

Again, these are contractual agreements between the different entities in the business supply chains. A lot of companies make a lot of money by having exclusive rights to manufacture specified parts for new innovation.

Yeah, it would be nice if every piece of hardware was universally compatible, but there's a reason why that's not the case.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2010
    AT&T was the only company deep enough in its own feces willing to give in to apple's vision. it's unfortunate that only bad cell companies are willing to go with a vision, whereas the "good" ones are so set in their ways that they don't jive with apple

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    Really, it boils down to one thing:

Money

AT&T has something made by Apple (and a decent product, at that) fanboys are going to spend whatever they have to to get that shiny Apple logo on their phone. Once other people realize that the iPhone was an easier smartphone, and better looking than a BlackBerry, they're going to switch to the iPhone regardless if they have Verizon, T-Mobile or Sprint. So there's more money in the pockets of AT&T & Apple.

Apple has contracts with a bunch of different carriers to carry the iPhone. They know they've made a product that many people can't live without, so they know if someone wants it, they're going to shell out the cash for it.

Personally, I think the iPhone is garbage. Well, not garbage. It's good. And I like a lot of the features. I just don't like the restrictions it has. I much prefer Android to a bastardized version of OS X. But I'm a big open source snob, so I'm a little biased.

Back