• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do you think video games are "attacked"

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    As the title states, voice your opinion on why video games are being simply assaulted by so any people. For example, in the news, they never say "Man Murders Girlfriend" it's always "Man Murders Girlfriend After Playing Violent Video Game". In addition, what is your opinion on this matter? Do you feel that the accusations against video games are justified?

Based on my observations, there are three main groups of people who are out against the pixels that keep us entertained for countless hours. There's the parents, media, and overracting religious tupes. Each, in my own opinion, has a completly illigitimate agrue as to why video games are ruining society.

First there is the parents. These are the kinds of parents who do whatever their kids tell them to and have no sense of discipline, typically. Their reasoning is that they bought a game that they were advised had mature content innapropiate for their kid, and gave it to them anyways. Now its suddenly the video game's fault that the parent wllingly bought it for their child.

In my mind, the media is only in on this because it does everything they like. That is selling stories and starting contreversey.

The religious types are mainly those who can't grasp the fact that video games are ment for enjoyment. Apparently, because there are images on a screen it instantly brainwashes people to do evil. Makes perfect sense.

So I ask, what is your veiw on this matter?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • As the title states, voice your opinion on why video games are being simply assaulted by so any people. For example, in the news, they never say "Man Murders Girlfriend" it's always "Man Murders Girlfriend After Playing Violent Video Game". In addition, what is your opinion on this matter? Do you feel that the accusations against video games are justified?

That's annoying to see too. It's just that some people can't grasp the fact that video games aren't reality. There's always that "life doesn't have a reset button" and it stands true, because real life doesn't have extra lives and reset buttons. So no, eating green mushrooms will not help you. Same thing goes for heavy metal music too, such as the Columbine shooting. From what I remember reading about, the two students that shot up the school had been listening to some heavy metal (I want to say Judas Priest).

But really, I think it's just that people refuse to think the person that did the horrible acts is bad. Everyone's just looking for something to blame, and hey, if the person was an avid player of some crazy shooter game, then that, by some crazy default, is the culprit.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I think the reason why video games are "attacked" is because of the themes that are displayed, which may cause controversy.

L5Animations

Gamer & Shiny Hunter
    Years
  • I think because:
    1. Jack Thompson or however you spell it.
    2. Video games these days aren't what they used to be. Back in the 80's and 90's, if you said "video game," every ones thoughts went right to Mario and fiction and adventure and all that stuff. Just having fun and using your imagination. Then, modern games like Call of Duty and Halo (not to hate or bash just examples) have come along and made everyone think of guns and violence when it comes to video games, which, in my opinion, is not what it's all about. Then, you've got those irresponsible parents who lets their kids play those games they shouldn't be playing. Just brilliant.

razzbat

dancer
    Years
  • As the title states, voice your opinion on why video games are being simply assaulted by so any people. For example, in the news, they never say "Man Murders Girlfriend" it's always "Man Murders Girlfriend After Playing Violent Video Game". In addition, what is your opinion on this matter? Do you feel that the accusations against video games are justified?

Based on my observations, there are three main groups of people who are out against the pixels that keep us entertained for countless hours. There's the parents, media, and overracting religious tupes. Each, in my own opinion, has a completly illigitimate agrue as to why video games are ruining society.

First there is the parents. These are the kinds of parents who do whatever their kids tell them to and have no sense of discipline, typically. Their reasoning is that they bought a game that they were advised had mature content innapropiate for their kid, and gave it to them anyways. Now its suddenly the video game's fault that the parent wllingly bought it for their child.

In my mind, the media is only in on this because it does everything they like. That is selling stories and starting contreversey.

The religious types are mainly those who can't grasp the fact that video games are ment for enjoyment. Apparently, because there are images on a screen it instantly brainwashes people to do evil. Makes perfect sense.

So I ask, what is your veiw on this matter?
    theres more to the argument than that.

video game addiction does exist, there has been many tests and many examples showing that there are people who get overly obsessed with games, more so than movies and such. it is a serious case, particularly in South Korea where there are heaps of people going to internet cafes and staying there for a whole day just to play some dumb mmo.
    the media takes this and spreads it around leading people to think that video games are a dangerous things and that people should stay away from them, as you say particularly religious groups and parents. parents are obviously really protective of their children, so they try and make sure that their children stays away from games.
    the only problem is that this video game addiction problem is exagerated. people see that its bad, and since its a reasonably new case, they think its really bad. not many people that play video games get such an addiction. i would say alot of gamers would stay under the 12 hour per week limit. some parents think that is even too much, but yeh that can't be helped, it's there problem for being so ignorant.

ps. i havent read through this so it probably sounds like ass. i'll check up on it another time.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I dunno I think that if someone already has violent thoughts then playing a videogame with violent stuff in it might build up their violent thoughts and eventually they will do bad stuff.

Years
  • Well, in some games, take Manhunt for example, that game was very graphic, using different objects to kill people in different ways. With the way the media works, they will make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I don't think video games damage peoples ability to see what is right and what is wrong, but there is a reason why the games are age certified.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • I dunno I think that if someone already has violent thoughts then playing a videogame with violent stuff in it might build up their violent thoughts and eventually they will do bad stuff.
    I believe that video games only serve as a focal point for someone's already existing insanity and/or disconnection with reality. In many cases, the rampages would occur sooner or later, but video games could have possibly hastened the event.

Some people are just plain crazy. Not the Kirisame Crazy, but actually, sociopath-ishly crazy.

However, the reason I'm quoting Jolene is because I never resist a chance to argue I have played video games when I have been one thing away from a fit of boiling rage.

However, after shooting up the enemy in Tribes: Aerial Assault, one of (if not THE) least violent shooters in existence (Though still one of the most fun, IMHO), I feel much more relaxed. It's not that I need to kill things to calm me down, but it's just another way of releasing tension. All humans do it. Some people escape through drugs, others "drive real fast", and yet others go hunting.

I play video games, one of the cheapest and safest methods of stress relief out there.

Tribes and Call of Duty is not training me to kill, however. Anyone who states that video games "teach children to kill" should be used as a target for live-fire exercises, so they can see/feel the difference between clicking with a mouse in a game with horrific mechanics, and holding a real, three-dimensional Luger in your hand, and pulling the trigger.

Phones do not cause Phreaking, but people can do it. They can facilitate crimes, terrorism, robberies, cheating, all sorts of unpleasant stuff. However, they can also help reconnect people, and coordinate good stuffs.

Video games do not cause real world violence, but people can still go on rampages. Games can be used to make plans for school shootings, grief people, and make people commit suicide (MMORPGS) or murder (Lulz, Azns). However, they can also teach soldiers how to cooperate with their squad (Yes, the US military does do this), let friends have fun together, let people meet each other, etc.

To categorize video games into any black and white morality is... Utterly ridiculous.

Also, I think Higurashi has done more damage to my mind than repeated headshots in Fallout.

Mainly because videogames typically aren't programmed to allow you to kidnap, crucify, and torture people.

Directors have no such limitations. Television, horror movies, and other stuffs is more damaging.

Though, conversely, greater and more profound things can be done.

I dunno. It's a double-sided coin, which is only as positive or negative as its place in the values of each individual.

Roxichu

Blastoff at the Speed of Light
    Years
  • There has been a persistent fear of new forms of entertainment in our culture for almost a century now.

These mass hysterics started with film, and worked it's way into comic books, rock 'n roll, and now video games. It's the whole reason you see content ratings on virtually all movies and video games, and "parental advisory" labels on CDs. But there is nothing like that for books, even though they can be every bit as obscene.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years

• That's annoying to see too. It's just that some people can't grasp the fact that video games aren't reality. There's always that "life doesn't have a reset button" and it stands true, because real life doesn't have extra lives and reset buttons. So no, eating green mushrooms will not help you. Same thing goes for heavy metal music too, such as the Columbine shooting. From what I remember reading about, the two students that shot up the school had been listening to some heavy metal (I want to say Judas Priest).

But really, I think it's just that people refuse to think the person that did the horrible acts is bad. Everyone's just looking for something to blame, and hey, if the person was an avid player of some crazy shooter game, then that, by some crazy default, is the culprit.
    The main argument in the Columbine case was that the two kids who committed the crime played Doom, and that somehow has to be the only thing that caused them to do what they did. Nothing else even contributed to their actions, not bad parenting, not being an outcast, nothing. Just Doom.
    theres more to the argument than that.

video game addiction does exist, there has been many tests and many examples showing that there are people who get overly obsessed with games, more so than movies and such. it is a serious case, particularly in South Korea where there are heaps of people going to internet cafes and staying there for a whole day just to play some dumb mmo.
    the media takes this and spreads it around leading people to think that video games are a dangerous things and that people should stay away from them, as you say particularly religious groups and parents. parents are obviously really protective of their children, so they try and make sure that their children stays away from games.
    the only problem is that this video game addiction problem is exagerated. people see that its bad, and since its a reasonably new case, they think its really bad. not many people that play video games get such an addiction. i would say alot of gamers would stay under the 12 hour per week limit. some parents think that is even too much, but yeh that can't be helped, it's there problem for being so ignorant.

ps. i havent read through this so it probably sounds like ass. i'll check up on it another time.
    What you see as "some dumb mmo", others see as an escape from their usually ****** life. Something you do for fun, or to escape may be viewed as "stupid" by others, but that doesn't mean it's true, or "a problem" as you put it.

Anyways, this is how I stand on this issue.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    The main argument in the Columbine case was that the two kids who committed the crime played Doom, and that somehow has to be the only thing that caused them to do what they did. Nothing else even contributed to their actions, not bad parenting, not being an outcast, nothing. Just Doom.

What you see as "some dumb mmo", others see as an escape from their usually ****** life. Something you do for fun, or to escape may be viewed as "stupid" by others, but that doesn't mean it's true, or "a problem" as you put it.

Anyways, this is how I stand on this issue.
    I have to say, you make good points and you basically spoke my mind. I agree with what you said.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    One of the main reason the games we play are attacked is because, not necessarily violence, but because of the reactions the children have to it and the religious aspects and how the games challenge it.

Think about it. Mario was just a violent as Halo. You jumped on a mushroom things head and dropped Dinosaurs into lava. In Halo you just shot things. The problem with pokemon is that there is evolution, which challenges the churches theory of there not being a missing link.

However, both groups seem to ignore the scientific studies showing that gamers who play violent games are less likely to be violent themselves. Seriously, after shooting something in the face so many times it's just too stupid to try it in real life.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Games get a lot of flack because they're interactive. If it's a movie then you just push play, if it's a song then you just push play. If it's a game then you pick up the controller and move a character around to kill (or do whatever). Even if a movie is more graphic then a game people will still blame the games due to them being interactive.

A lot of people (news, groups, whatever) will talk about things they know nothing about, or they'll be an expert on something just because they heard it from someone else. Take for example Modern Warfare 2, there's a level in the campaign where you play a terrorist and you shoot up an airport. Well many people made a great big deal about this, said it's wrong and messed up, and it's teaching kids to be terrorist and all of that. These people didn't get their facts straight, this terrorist you were playing as was really CIA trying to stop a larger war/plot from taking place. In this level you could beat it without shooting a single civilian, you could even skip the level. But they still made a big deal about it. Now there's tons of movies out there where major actors played the bad guys, or played terrorists. But no one cares because it's a movie... it's not interactive. The same people who cry and complain about games are the same people who watch movies just as bad or worse and say they were good movies.

As for people who kill someone else and then blame it on games (or the news says that)... that person wasn't sane to begin with. Really, who in their right mind will get the idea to kill someone from a game? "Oh I played GTA today, I killed someone by shooting them. I wanted to test it out on my neighbor.", yea that stuff doesn't fly with me. And people who watch that on the news and believe that is stupid and they don't know better.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Games get a lot of flack because they're interactive. If it's a movie then you just push play, if it's a song then you just push play. If it's a game then you pick up the controller and move a character around to kill (or do whatever). Even if a movie is more graphic then a game people will still blame the games due to them being interactive.

A lot of people (news, groups, whatever) will talk about things they know nothing about, or they'll be an expert on something just because they heard it from someone else. Take for example Modern Warfare 2, there's a level in the campaign where you play a terrorist and you shoot up an airport. Well many people made a great big deal about this, said it's wrong and messed up, and it's teaching kids to be terrorist and all of that. These people didn't get their facts straight, this terrorist you were playing as was really CIA trying to stop a larger war/plot from taking place. In this level you could beat it without shooting a single civilian, you could even skip the level. But they still made a big deal about it. Now there's tons of movies out there where major actors played the bad guys, or played terrorists. But no one cares because it's a movie... it's not interactive. The same people who cry and complain about games are the same people who watch movies just as bad or worse and say they were good movies.

As for people who kill someone else and then blame it on games (or the news says that)... that person wasn't sane to begin with. Really, who in their right mind will get the idea to kill someone from a game? "Oh I played GTA today, I killed someone by shooting them. I wanted to test it out on my neighbor.", yea that stuff doesn't fly with me. And people who watch that on the news and believe that is stupid and they don't know better.
    I agree with this completely. The media really has no idea what they are talking about when it comes to this stuff.

Guren

Troll
    Years
  • I play mainly war video games, and I listen to heavy metal music (and as someone had stated above, Judas Priest... one of my favourite bands). People think I'd get influenced by people swearing a lot around me, and swearing on Facebook and MSN and stuff... I just LOL :3. Nothing's changed at all.

I can see though, that certain people, probably teenagers whom are most likely very introverted and do not have much of a social life, therefore forget common logic, can play these games "too much" and take whatever reasoning is in the game and adapt it to their real life. Obviously they must have other problems, like parenting or social stuff, too.

Then these kids should stay away from them :3

Back