• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why does burn not affect out of battle ?

rosebunny

Beta/Grammar Tester - Dr.Rose
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    What I mean is that poison effects Pokemon outside of battle
    so why not burn it would make sense.
    This has been bugging me for YEARS ever since I got Pokemon Red
    And yes it may make the game unbalanced but even by the crazy logic of the Pokemon Universe a burn should hurt.
    Recently they did that thing with Shaymin with it not being able to transform into sky form if it was frozen so why not burn ?

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    This is a well posed question, however it belongs in General Pokémon Gaming since you're refering only to the gaming aspect of Pokémon.

Ficher

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2012
    I really do not know and I asked myself this question many times, so I came up with a stupid answer. If a Pokémon is affected with poison, the poison is now inside the Pokémon, as in it affects its inner area. But when a Pokémon is burnt, you can't possibly imagine a Pokémon on fire all the way; it would be weird. Though I think they should be affected outside the battle.

Nice theory eh?

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2010
    Maybe because fire type attacks are generally a lot more powerful than most poison type attacks, so the lower chance of a burn and it not hurting after battle might compensate a bit for that. That's my theory anyway.

rosebunny

Beta/Grammar Tester - Dr.Rose
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    Well thanks I was wondering whether to post in general Pokemon Gaming
    So thanks for moving.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I think it's two reasons:

1. With the attack-halving, and in-battle damage, it'd be overpowered.....
    2. If it damaged outside of battle, it'd be like poison...they don't really have 2 status conditions that are really alike. Except Freeze and Sleep, and there are no moves that inflict freeze status other than as a secondary effect (no ice-type hypnosis)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    My guess is, burn might afflict only the skin, so its effect is only felt when the Pokemon is moving around, i.e., in battle. When it's in its Pokeball it's stationary so it's not aggravating the burn, therefore no damage (of course, the fact that Pokemon follow you in HG/SS somewhat contradict this, but they're still just walking, which isn't as intense an activity as battling)

Since Poison is internal, it affects no matter what.

Back