• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why does everybody hate dragon Pokémon all of a sudden?

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
  • I keep seeing all over the place, on here, Facebook, other websites etc... stuff about "fairy type dragon slayer" and sh** like that!!! it has been going on for a couple of months now and I am SICK of it!!! putting down a specific type of Pokémon just because a new type has been released!!! I love dragon Pokémon and (most dragon Pokémon I have Poképhilia for) but Dragons are still awesome but EVERYBODY HATES them now!!! why all the hate towards Dragon Type Pokémon???

Shadeh

KABOOM!
    Years
  • Bro, Dragon types will always be loved, it just takes time for people to discover their real uses, especially in competitive battling, heh. :) There aren't too many fairy types anyways, and dragon didn't have any real weaknesses other than itself and Ice.
    In all, Dragon is a unique type, people just always like to bicker about things all the time and don't let that get in your way.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • Never noticed they were hated, I first thought Fairy type would get a lot of hate.

Years
  • I haven't considered it hate, but moreso that people like pointing out the fact that Dragons aren't as powerful now due to an extra weakness.

Sure, it might be annoying for a little while, but the games haven't even been out for two months yet- give it some time. If Dragon types hadn't been so powerful to begin with, I don't think anyone would've made a deal about it. Just look at Fighting types- they're now weak to Fairy too, but no one seemed to bring it up much.

Shadeh

KABOOM!
    Years
  • I haven't considered it hate, but moreso that people like pointing out the fact that Dragons aren't as powerful now due to an extra weakness.

Sure, it might be annoying for a little while, but the games haven't even been out for two months yet- give it some time. If Dragon types hadn't been so powerful to begin with, I don't think anyone would've made a deal about it. Just look at Fighting types- they're now weak to Fairy too, but no one seemed to bring it up much.
    seems like fighting is underrated now, I see no sign of them in competitive matches or Let's Players using them either, in fact, I didn't even know fairy was super effective against fighting

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Well I'll always considered dragon pokémon somewhat overpowered. Mostly because dragons from mythology are very intelligent and powerful beings, often at least. So when Fairy type came with a strength towards Dragon, it was kind of cool. Something small and cute could slay something supposedly large and powerful.

I don't hate Dragon types and I don't love Fairy types. I'm just stating my thoughts :3

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I think my all-time favourite Pokemon type will always be Dragon Type, with Water-Type coming in a close second, followed now by the new Fairy Type. Sylveon is just so cute and am glad to have him on my team. Still, I will be really glad when I can transfer my Dragon-Types (especially my shiny Dragonite) from the other games.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • Methinks he doth complain too much.

Seriously though, I have no idea what "hate" you're talking about. Even I like many of the dragon pokemon, with mega I now like Garchomp too, Toothless is a rock! Dragonair is so cute and adorable. Mega Charizard X isn't all that cool looking, but meh. Of course fairy types are dragon slayers, that is their primary role, and most do a good job of it.

Years
  • I mostly agree with Brendino there, I guess not everyone is used to Fairy-types yet and they still claim them to be "cute girly critters that slay dragons" but the reason we have these Fairy-types in the first place was to stop Dragons becoming too overpowered, which they have been for the last two generations. Dragons often dominated the competitive scene lately, and caused the metagame to often be centralized on dealing with them, so creating a new type created not only balance for Dragons, but also for Poison and Steel which are strong against Fairy.

Dragon-types basically became the modern-day Gen 1 Psychic-types, a type that had very few true counters so they had to bring a new type to balance it. While Fairy is currently tied with Ghost as the smallest type (going by numbers of the Pokemon so far) we will be seeing more Fairy-types in the future and hopefully everyone will have adjusted by then. And nice point on Fighting-types there Shadeh, I'm surprised many haven't been crying over Fairy being strong against Fighting and Dark, however this made Pokemon like Scrafty and Pangoro (and Hydreigon obviously) suffer crippling weaknesses to Fairy-types though.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • Seriously though, I have no idea what "hate" you're talking about.

Yeah, I haven't seen any anywhere... ;/
    Dragons haven't been cornered with an added weakness though, they can definitely still hold their own. However some powerful Pokemon such as Alakazam now have access to Fairy type moves, they're the real threats to look out for, not the likes of Dedenne.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I don't see any hate against dragons. On the other side GF seems to hate ice type Pokemon really much. They have a ton of weaknesses, practically no resistances and their only reason for existing was to destroy dragons, but now that faires exist who are completely immune against dragons this reason is gone. Come one GF show ice types some love.

But yeah, no hate against dragons.

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    People will always overreact to something new & a lot of the posts stating "dragons are over" or "dragons are worthless now" are just the packed arm-flappings of the not-so clued up players. I'm still planning on packing a dragon in my team, I plan on packing a fairy too.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • I don't see any hate against dragons. On the other side GF seems to hate ice type Pokemon really much. They have a ton of weaknesses, practically no resistances and their only reason for existing was to destroy dragons, but now that faires exist who are completely immune against dragons this reason is gone. Come one GF show ice types some love.

But yeah, no hate against dragons.

I wish fairy was weak against ice types, that would have made it AWESOME!

IIRC, justinrpg, you posted another thread waaaay back before saying how sick of all the comics about Jigglypuff pwning Dragonair?

I'm not sure what kind of "hate" you mean (in this case I think hate is a strong word), because there's lots of different types:
    • People who publicly voice how much they hate dragon types
    • People who no longer choose dragon types on their team because they now have another weakness that can be effectively exploited.
    • A lack of people who are talking about how amazing you think dragons are.
    and so on.

Genuinely I do think hate is too strong a word for what I feel like you're talking about Justin, and going by your initial post:
    I keep seeing all over the place, on here, Facebook, other websites etc... stuff about "fairy type dragon slayer" and sh** like that!!! it has been going on for a couple of months now and I am SICK of it!!! putting down a specific type of Pokémon just because a new type has been released!!!
    I think you're just picking on what people still see as a novelty.

Look at it this way: If dark type was only being introduced now, you'd probably see a fair share of psychic-nerfing comics!

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
  • I think the whole "dragon-slayer" stuff is because Dragon has been pretty invincible in the past, and now there's another type it's weak to (there weren't many), especially given how it was strong against the "normal" types such as fire and water, it's just because it's more even.

Years
  • Ok I know my name and Sig have dragon slayer in, but I don't hate Dragons far from it their one of my favrate types, Dragonite is one of my favorite Pokemon, Garchomp, Altaria, Reshiram, Zecrom, Flygon, Palkia, Dialga and Goodra are awesome to.
    The whole dragon slayer things a bit of fun, it sounds really cool and is kinda funny that the cute fairy pokemon can destroy the likes of Salamance and Garchomp.
    Fairy types just awesome because its like Physic type that's strong against Dark and dragons.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • People hated Dragons because of how OP they were in Gens IV-V. That seems to have subsided with the introduction of Fairies.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    They've always hated Dragons, deeming them overpowered. I guess now it's a 'kick them while they're down' thing.

kha111

Upcoming Video Game Master
    Years
  • Honestly, they neede to add a new type to size up with dragon. For the past five gens, fighting dragon types was a extreme struggle. They're typing was almost uber with little resistance. If you didnt have another dragon typed pokemon or an ice, you were pretty much screwed. Gamefreak made a smart move to balance out the type charts in X/Y with Fairy.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Dragon pokemon are awesome. <3

Anyway, as I'm sure everyone has already said... you are going to have haters no matter what form they are in. You can't make everyone love a pokemon type without people hating it, if that makes sense.

kha111

Upcoming Video Game Master
    Years
  • Dragon pokemon are awesome. <3

Anyway, as I'm sure everyone has already said... you are going to have haters no matter what form they are in. You can't make everyone love a pokemon type without people hating it, if that makes sense.

Nobody is hating on anything, Personally i love dragon types myself, but they're typing is nearly uber and gamefreak did a smart thing introducing fairy this gen.

Back