• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why does Game Freak insist on doing this?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Sure, but Game Freak isn't "Competitive Pokémon", whatever that might be. Game Freak is a company made of people that might very well care about lore in some level.

Competitive Pokémon refers to the player vs. player battles that take place when playing Pokémon. I wasn't saying that Game Freak was competitive Pokémon. I meant that, when playing Pokémon competitively, lore doesn't matter. Lore only matters when playing through the story of Pokémon games because lore is a feature of the story and has nothing to do with battle mechanics. Competitive Pokémon is all about battle mechanics.

OK, but being easier to get now, doesn't mean that they were easy to get in the past. Game Freak has historically cared, at least to some extent, about availability when doing bans including banning Gmax Pokémon that were available in the game for the first half of 2020 because they were just rare. Maybe they'll change their mind going forwards, but for now "they're rare-ish, better ban" is as good a hypothesis as any.

They announced two days ago that mythical Pokémon would be allowed in competitive play for the first time ever, which is long overdue. As I mentioned before, mythical Pokémon are much easier to get nowadays. Many of them can be obtained through save data from other games or DLC nowadays. Even if players missed an event to obtain a mythical Pokémon, they can easily trade for it. Many people on this site and places such as Discord are often more than happy to trade their mythical Pokémon. I was able to easily obtain most of my mythicals over the years through trading.

Okay, but Dragonite, Salamence, Tyranitar and Metagross might very well be broken in Singles just aren't used that often in Doubles.
    In fact, according to Pikalytics, they're all used less often than Regigigas, which by your own account is "niche". From GF's perspective they're not broken.

Mega Metagross was indeed used in Doubles, very much so in the previous generations. If Mega Evolution ever returned to Pokémon, Metagross would be used much more often in all aspects of competitive play because of its great stats, ability in Tough Claws that makes it hit even harder, and its ability to serve as an excellent answer to Fairy-types. Ever since Pokémon moved to the Nintendo Switch, the dynamic of competitive Pokémon changed drastically because many different gimmicks, Pokémon, and moves were left out, which changed the usage rates of many Pokémon. That doesn't mean that such Pokémon still aren't good to use, however. Either way, my previous point still stands, as Doubles is not the only way to play Pokémon competitively and Singles play is still the most popular way to play Pokémon. With that, it doesn't make sense for Game Freak to care only about Doubles. Also, Game Freak rarely cares about what's "broken." In Doubles, support Pokémon with the ability Prankster are broken, as are Pokémon such as Kyorgre, Groudon, and Landorus-T, but they're still running strong in Doubles. If Game Freak cares so much about what's broken, especially for Doubles, why haven't they nerfed Landorus or the Prankster ability?

And it might not be a good reason, but it's certainly a plausible reason.

It's not plausible at all. It's not difficult to allow a Pokémon to compete in ranked in its much weaker base form. Even if it does find a way to become broken, like I said many times, it's not like Game Freak cares. If that's the case, then they would ban Landorus-T because of how ridiculously overpowered it is in literally every single format possible.

People in general are more prone to do less work if possible (such as just copy and pasting past ban lists, or just keying the ban list to Pokedex / Nat Dex number) and historically fans have, at worst, more or less answered to said bans with a lukewarm "ehh, that's a bit weird, isn't it?" and not made much of a fuss. Just banning everything altogether is easier for them at the end of the day.

If that's true, then that's not a good thing. Being lazy is never a good thing. The developers should always put in the extra effort to do what is the best for the game.

Yup, and that's a lot better than it was in past generations. You give a Pokemon that isn't broken a chance of usage with enough strategy while it's not centralizing enough that you need to have an answer, or just strong enough that deploying it first is an insta-win button. The fact that you can use Pokemon with strong nerfs like Regigigas with enough strategy, even if only on low ladder, is a positive. And since Game Freak has decided that Regigigas is potentially problematic, they're likely happy enough that it has a bit of a niche already.

The problem with Regigigas is that, as a Pokémon with a base stat total of 670, great stat range, and wide range of coverage, Regigigas should be used more often than it is. However, considering that Regigigas can only be used effectively in Doubles with Weezing, which is very easy to deal with, (or with Baton Pass in Singles, which is very easy to counter before you get the chance to do it), people only use it more often simply to try out the combo. That is as niche as niche gets. Regigigas would never dominate the meta like a Kyorge or Groudon because it serves no purpose on teams other than players using it to see how it performs without Slow Start for a small portion of time. Literally as soon as Weezing faints, you are left with a Pokémon that contributes nothing at all until it gets double teamed and knocked out before Slow Start could even wear off. For a Pokémon to truly be useable and not niche, it must be useful for almost every team it's placed in. Regigigas with Slow Start fails heavily at that.

It probably wouldn't hurt, yes, but it's just not really much of a money maker so it's very much not a priority.
    Coupled with the fact that the Pokemon teams are pretty much almost always working on a new game / DLC that the fact that Singles has fallen to the wayside is hardly surprising.

Singles never fell to the wayside. As I said before, Singles is still the most popular way to play Pokémon in every possible format, official or unofficial. The only reason the VGC isn't centered around Singles is because they chose to make it that way. If they actually did choose to have championships for both Singles and Doubles, it could definitely be a money maker because it could attract a variety of different players and bigger audiences. Giving players the chance to win a championship in the most popular played format is definitely the way to go. Since they allowed mythicals in competitive, maybe we might see Singles championships one of these days too. Who knows?

Could Game Freak buff Regigigas? Yeah, probably. But it's a change that gives them more work (figure out the appropriate change with testing, code it in, make a game patch, consider if it now needs to be banned from VGC / Battle Tower, etc.) for the ill-defined gain of "some fans would like it" and possible loss of "it's gonna be broken and other fans are gonna go bonkers mad."

Of course they could buff him. There is no question that they could. If they can give weak Pokémon that people never use such as Beedrill and Pidgeot Mega Evolutions for example, they can definitely give a major legendary with a 670 base stat total a better ability or even a hidden ability. It shouldn't take them that much work to make a new ability. The developers make new abilities all the time, which is nothing for them. Like I mentioned before, a good ability for Regigigas could be to boost the (super-effective) damage output for moves that it uses based on the types of the Regis that it created, which are Rock, Steel, Ice, Electric, and Dragon. This could correct Regigigas' problem of not being able to hit anything super effectively with STAB due to being pure Normal-type. Super effective STAB is very important in competitive play, which explains why Normal-types are barely used. Even if it did require more "work," then that's what they should do. Laziness should never be encouraged by any means.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Competitive Pokémon refers to the player vs. player battles that take place when playing Pokémon. I wasn't saying that Game Freak was competitive Pokémon. I meant that, when playing Pokémon competitively, lore doesn't matter. Lore only matters when playing through the story of Pokémon games because lore is a feature of the story and has nothing to do with battle mechanics. Competitive Pokémon is all about battle mechanics.

Sure, but decisions regarding certain things aren't made in a vacuum, especially in the context of the retail games, where the battles are at least nominally part of the universe.

Case in point, the only reason we're having this discussion is because of lore: Regigigas is a legendary and doesn't match your expectation. If it wasn't a legendary, but was a random Pokémon like Slaking or Archeops that just happened to be rare / one of a kind (as is the case with something like Lapras or Volcarona) we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Being a legendary is a lore reason, and that created the expectation for some, including you, that Regigigas should be stronger. It very well could raise the expectation to whoever responsible in Game Freak that certain Pokemon should be banned, especially because the Battle Tower exists within the universe of Pokemon and even if you do extend some level of suspension of disbelief, there are some things that you can't really do without creating plotholes.

This entire thread is just making my point that you cannot meaningfully remove lore from game mechanics when you're discussing something like "Pokemon X should be stronger."

They announced two days ago that mythical Pokémon would be allowed in competitive play for the first time ever, which is long overdue. As I mentioned before, mythical Pokémon are much easier to get nowadays. Many of them can be obtained through save data from other games or DLC nowadays. Even if players missed an event to obtain a mythical Pokémon, they can easily trade for it. Many people on this site and places such as Discord are often more than happy to trade their mythical Pokémon. I was able to easily obtain most of my mythicals over the years through trading.

Cool, but now isn't the past. Historically they didn't allow them, ostensibly due to the rarity event.
    Maybe they'll rethink some things now, but that doesn't change what their previous reasoning likely was (a question of rarity and not power).

Mega Metagross was indeed used in Doubles, very much so in the previous generations. If Mega Evolution ever returned to Pokémon, Metagross would be used much more often in all aspects of competitive play because of its great stats, ability in Tough Claws that makes it hit even harder, and its ability to serve as an excellent answer to Fairy-types. Ever since Pokémon moved to the Nintendo Switch, the dynamic of competitive Pokémon changed drastically because many different gimmicks, Pokémon, and moves were left out, which changed the usage rates of many Pokémon. That doesn't mean that such Pokémon still aren't good to use, however. Either way, my previous point still stands, as Doubles is not the only way to play Pokémon competitively and Singles play is still the most popular way to play Pokémon. With that, it doesn't make sense for Game Freak to care only about Doubles. Also, Game Freak rarely cares about what's "broken." In Doubles, support Pokémon with the ability Prankster are broken, as are Pokémon such as Kyorgre, Groudon, and Landorus-T, but they're still running strong in Doubles. If Game Freak cares so much about what's broken, especially for Doubles, why haven't they nerfed Landorus or the Prankster ability?

Regarding being broken:

You were the one that brought up Pokemon being broken. I said that pseudo legends (for the most part) had some form of massive disadvantage that made them more balanced on paper, and even agreed that some (like Dragapult) were broken.

I then said that with the exception of Dragapult, they were more or less nonentities in Doubles, and so GameFreak / people playing on that meta wouldn't consider them broken.

I never said that GameFreak cared about things being broken, I said that those particular Pokemon weren't broken and so your counterpoint of "Those other strong Pokemon are also good" wasn't exactly the greatest.

Regarding Singles:

It's hard to find hard and reliable numbers, but according to this source tracking down the number of Master Ball rank players we can say that around the first season of competitive Pokemon in SwSh, there was around 6 times more Master Ball Singles players than there were Doubles and at the last tracked season (Season 17) there was about 3 times more Master Ball Singles than there were Double.

I actually did go to the source of the data, and did the API Call to Pokemon Home battle data. The earliest it showed was "Season 1" from Nov 2019 to Jan 2020, and according to the data there's more or less the same amount of players for singles and doubles, slightly more for Singles but they're around the same numbers.

I couldn't quite figure out how to get the number of Master Ball Trainers but it appears that from a cartridge perspective they're more or less equal around now. The numbers very much get smaller as time passes but it appears that despite Doubles having a smaller initial amount of players, it keeps players better than singles.

So it appears that in the long run there isn't much difference in popularity between Singles and Doubles.

(EDIT: It's been brought to my attention that the data I got from the API was slightly inconsistent, so either I made a mistake or the guy from Reddit made a mistake. I probably missed a step in the call or misread the Japanese tutorial or something.

I decided not to delete the previous part because I thought the API info was interesting enough to share in case anyone wanted to do a proper analysis, but in any case the major point I was trying to make here is below:)

Combine that with the fact that Singles isn't really suitable for tournament play (hence the reason why VGC is all doubles), and as such, isn't really marketable, it's not surprising that Game Freak would care more about Doubles.

GameFreak is a major company, so if something doesn't meaningfully contribute to making money, it's not a sound business decision.

The games in general aren't really TPC's main moneymaker anymore (that'd be licensed merch), Pokemon's target audience doesn't really care about competitive and outside of Japan (which is admittedly their main market) the competitive meta is much more focused on simulators like Smogon, which aren't directly monetizable.

All of that adds up to Singles just not being that important to Game Freak.

It's not plausible at all. It's not difficult to allow a Pokémon to compete in ranked in its much weaker base form. Even if it does find a way to become broken, like I said many times, it's not like Game Freak cares. If that's the case, then they would ban Landorus-T because of how ridiculously overpowered it is in literally every single format possible.

It's more difficult than to just copy and paste whatever is already in place. Especially if it happened to be the decision of a higher up for whatever reason.
    Plus, it's not the kind of decision that people care about, so it's the kind of change that will never get done.

If that's true, then that's not a good thing. Being lazy is never a good thing. The developers should always put in the extra effort to do what is the best for the game.

(EDIT: After thinking about I decided to change this section a little bit, since it didn't have the best wording I could have used:)

That's not quite right. Developers should put in the exact effort they're compensated to put in to do what is best for the company. That often coincides with that's best for the game, but not always; sometimes what's best for the company is do something functional and move on to solve another problem.

Plus, the call of "they should always put in the extra effort" is quite frankly a bit toxic (and given the lack of demand for the requests at hand, a bit entitled) considering the fact that the video game industry traditionally has terrible worker protections, mandatory overtime just to ship the actual game, Pokemon in particular has shorter dev cycles than normal for a AAA game and all of that is happening in Japan which traditionally has an even worse history of overtime.

Game Developers will often put in extra effort because companies exploit their love for games and because they don't want to let players down - and in the case of Pokemon especifically, we're probably starting to get the people who grew up on Pokemon into the market, so they'll be even more exploitable by Game Freak - but that's not a requirement and is more often than not the symptom of an unhealthy work market abusing its employers.

Maybe I'd agree with you if Game Freak got their shit together, hired more staff and gave them more time to do their projects, but as it is, I'm firmly in the side of the devs who are most likely already overworked.

As a sidenote, we're also talking about the fandom that sent death threats and (what I believe to be) false rape allegations because of a badly rendered tree. For that reason alone if I were working in that team I wouldn't want to touch stuff I didn't absolutely have to.

The problem with Regigigas is that, as a Pokémon with a base stat total of 670, great stat range, and wide range of coverage, Regigigas should be used more often than it is. However, considering that Regigigas can only be used effectively in Doubles with Weezing, which is very easy to deal with, (or with Baton Pass in Singles, which is very easy to counter before you get the chance to do it), people only use it more often simply to try out the combo. That is as niche as niche gets. Regigigas would never dominate the meta like a Kyorge or Groudon because it serves no purpose on teams other than players using it to see how it performs without Slow Start for a small portion of time. Literally as soon as Weezing faints, you are left with a Pokémon that contributes nothing at all until it gets double teamed and knocked out before Slow Start could even wear off. For a Pokémon to truly be useable and not niche, it must be useful for almost every team it's placed in. Regigigas with Slow Start fails heavily at that.

I don't disagree that Regigigas could be a lot better. I disagree that it's a smart move for Game Freak to buff it and the fact that it has a niche strategy is already pretty good considering that.

Singles never fell to the wayside. As I said before, Singles is still the most popular way to play Pokémon in every possible format, official or unofficial. The only reason the VGC isn't centered around Singles is because they chose to make it that way. If they actually did choose to have championships for both Singles and Doubles, it could definitely be a money maker because it could attract a variety of different players and bigger audiences. Giving players the chance to win a championship in the most popular played format is definitely the way to go. Since they allowed mythicals in competitive, maybe we might see Singles championships one of these days too. Who knows?

VGC is most likely not centered around Singles because Singles allows Stall as a viable strategy and Stall is terrible for views and general enthusiasm for the game. Yet, they can't very well say "No stall teams" in the rules because there is no set definition of what is a Stall team or a stall like strategy.

Of course they could buff him. There is no question that they could. If they can give weak Pokémon that people never use such as Beedrill and Pidgeot Mega Evolutions for example, they can definitely give a major legendary with a 670 base stat total a better ability or even a hidden ability. It shouldn't take them that much work to make a new ability. The developers make new abilities all the time, which is nothing for them. Like I mentioned before, a good ability for Regigigas could be to boost the (super-effective) damage output for moves that it uses based on the types of the Regis that it created, which are Rock, Steel, Ice, Electric, and Dragon. This could correct Regigigas' problem of not being able to hit anything super effectively with STAB due to being pure Normal-type. Super effective STAB is very important in competitive play, which explains why Normal-types are barely used. Even if it did require more "work," then that's what they should do. Laziness should never be encouraged by any means.

When I said "They could probably buff it", I wasn't talking about whether they could actually physically code the changes, of course they can. I was talking about whether it would make sense as a business decision.

Pokemon is the biggest media franchise in the world, they could probably stomach the loss (or perceived loss when compared to money they could be making) and the same applies to a lot of other changes fan proposes, many of which are more popular (like bring back Battle Frontier, bring back megas, bring back National Dex, etc.)

But they're making enough profits as is and doing changes are more likely only going to make a difference with the fanbase that's already captive. If you care enough about competitive play to be talking about how Regigigas could be great if it had a different ability, you'll most likely buy the games regardless of whether they change that or not. And if you weren't going to buy the game, it's because of another, different design decision they made.

Game Freak isn't an indie company powered by love and touch with their community like something like Stardew Valley is. It's a major corporation behaving under capitalism's normal rules: prioritize what makes money and preferrably don't even do things that don't.

Either way, there's your Doylist explanation of the most probable reason of why Regigigas isn't buffed and why Slow Start got imported into Legends Arceus:

Someone made an oopsie in Generation IV, it wasn't important enough to be rethought, and when Legends Arceus came around the team probably just copied the changes because reworking Regigigas just wasn't important enough to the overall polish of the final game - in fact, I only discovered that Slow Start got imported because of your thread, it wasn't discussed in any kind of media I saw talking about the game.

That's all I have to say on the matter, so I won't be responding to this thread anymore.

Last edited:

bez850

Professional Amateur
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2023
    I don't know, this seems pretty simple.

"Regigigas spends most of its time in deep slumber, so much so that moss grows on its feet and back."

It's literally a Grey stone in the games and we awaken it from its slumber. It's based off a giant titan, which appears slow due to its size. Which explains why it's speed Stat is high but it has slow start. Giants loom slow but clearly cover more ground with less steps.

It also is featured in the movie Girantina and the Sky Warrior, where Regigigas was unable to push an iceberg by itself. Which is speculated to be A.) Because slow start is part of who that pokemon is or B.) A design flaw by the animators.

It seems to me that you just don't like the most reasonable answer, as opposed to there not being one.

It's lore doesn't have to say "it starts off slow" but any one with deductive reasoning skills can see that a sleeping giant being awoken for the first time is gonna have a slow start.

That being said, 5 turns is too long. 3 would have sufficed. But I also am not a fan of using legendaries competitively. Pokemon that are created to have a statistical advantage over everyone isn't my thing in competitive play. (I say as I almost always have a pseudo legend on my teams) lolol

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I don't know, this seems pretty simple.

"Regigigas spends most of its time in deep slumber, so much so that moss grows on its feet and back."

It's literally a Grey stone in the games and we awaken it from its slumber. It's based off a giant titan, which appears slow due to its size. Which explains why it's speed Stat is high but it has slow start. Giants loom slow but clearly cover more ground with less steps.

It also is featured in the movie Girantina and the Sky Warrior, where Regigigas was unable to push an iceberg by itself. Which is speculated to be A.) Because slow start is part of who that pokemon is or B.) A design flaw by the animators.

It seems to me that you just don't like the most reasonable answer, as opposed to there not being one.

It's lore doesn't have to say "it starts off slow" but any one with deductive reasoning skills can see that a sleeping giant being awoken for the first time is gonna have a slow start.

That being said, 5 turns is too long. 3 would have sufficed. But I also am not a fan of using legendaries competitively. Pokemon that are created to have a statistical advantage over everyone isn't my thing in competitive play. (I say as I almost always have a pseudo legend on my teams) lolol

The problem is, however, the supposed "most reasonable answer" isn't a reasonable answer at all. I understand that people believe that Slow Start exists because it has been sleeping for centuries and that it's a part of its "lore" despite nothing in any sort of media, be it the anime, games, or manga mentioning Regigigas even having Slow Start. Thus, Regigigas having Slow Start has nothing to do with its lore officially. Instead, reasons for why it has Slow Start can only be assumed, and I understand why people assume what they assume. I get it. It just so happens that assumptions aren't facts, and I don't agree with those assumptions because they don't make much sense to me for a few of reasons.

For one, Pokémon that are older than Regigigas and also associated with slumbering for a long time don't have abilities similar to Slow Start. Jirachi, for example, is very likely older than Regigigas and sleeps for a 1,000 years. When it wakes up, it only stays awake for a week. Yet, Jirachi doesn't have any sort of ability resembling Slow Start.

Two, fossil Pokémon are older than Regigigas and must be resurrected by scientists from fossils. When they are revived, they don't have any abilities similar to Slow Start to represent how old they are or how long they're been inactive.

Three, it's also not exactly 100% true that Regigigas spends most of its time in a slumber. It's just that Regigigas has been known to have slumbered for a long time before it was awakened, which is the legend that is associated with it. Absolutely no reason exists for a captured, already awakened Regigigas to be in a constant perpetual Slow Start every time it's sent into battle if it's really based upon it "needing time to wake up," which indicates that it's not a first-time thing. Also, when Slow Start wears off in game, the message says, "Regigigas finally got its act together!" That doesn't sound like dialog referencing something that needed time to wake up; it sounded like a reference to a Pokémon that was pulling its punches or holding back in some way.

To me, when you factor in all this, Slow Start doesn't sound like anything relevant to its lore, but rather a way to nerf it without any real explanation, hence the reason I started this topic. Sure, people can also say that it was nerfed because it was assumed to have been too powerful without Slow Start, but that also doesn't make much sense either when you realize that a Pokémon with a 670 base stat total that is the creator and leader of five minor legendary Pokémon is supposed to be too powerful. Even without Slow Start, it wouldn't be too powerful compared to its legendary brethren because it can't hit anything super effectively with STAB being a pure Normal-type, which is very important in competitive play. It's the main reason Normal-types are barely used in competitive play unless they have a very specific useful role, such as Blissey and Porygon2 defensively, for example.

Back