• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why does Pokemon get hacked most?

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    as the title says, Why do we hack Pokemon most? is it because there are more tools, easier to change, etc.

I know if a gba loz a link to the past map and script tool came out (and hopefully a sprite one as well) i'd make one instantly.

so, why do you hack pokemon instead of other games?

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    You're on a pokemon site, talking about hacking pokemon. Of course pokemon will get hacked the most here.
    If you go to a megaman site talking about hacking megaman, chances are megaman is the popular thing to be hacked there.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • This is a pokemon fansite. If this were a mario site you weuld see a lot of mario hacks. Also the advanced version of pokemon is trivial to hack so of course people hack it more.

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    ya, but even at mario hack sites, and others like that, there aren't that many compared to how much are at pokemon hack sites. also i find more pokemon hack stuff than any other.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • ya, but even at mario hack sites, and others like that, there aren't that many compared to how much are at pokemon hack sites. also i find more pokemon hack stuff than any other.
    It's because (like I said earlier) we here a pc have made it almost trivial to hack pokemon games. pokemon is popular and so If it's a choice between mario and pokemon, mario requiring hex and pokemon not, which way do all the n00bs and lazy people (like me) come?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    It's because (like I said earlier) we here a pc have made it almost trivial to hack pokemon games. pokemon is popular and so If it's a choice between mario and pokemon, mario requiring hex and pokemon not, which way do all the n00bs and lazy people (like me) come?

Actually, your theory is kinda wrong, as both do for an awesome hack. For a hack, you really do not need Hex for Mario either, due to mapping being the crucial thing in Mario.

Mario, I think, is simpler to make a hack of without too much criticism, as all you really need to do to make an interesting hack is map in a thought provoking way, whereas Pokemon requires mapping and scripting to work. As for why Pokemon is hacked more, it is probably... Something. I don't know what, probably that is can stay fresh easier than Mario, considering Mario games all get boring after a while of jumping, whereas Pokemon can be reworked after being hacked to do... Tons of things.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Availability of tools, tutorials, and other hacks of it is the reason imo.

If there weren't any tools/tutorials then there'd be no Pokémon ROM hackers except those who learn by themselves.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I know if a gba loz a link to the past map and script tool came out (and hopefully a sprite one as well) i'd make one instantly.
    There you go. That's partly the answer.
    And Pokemon is popular and what not. Making a pokemon hack based on your ideas is a fun thought. Hence, many tools were released. We have tutorials and stuff. We could also come up with tools for LoZ, but I still don't think that there would be as many LoZ hackers as there are of Pokemon.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • Because you're on a forum about Pokemon, therefore you see lots of Pokemon hacks. Go on another forum and you'll see hacks about that thing. =P

Plus, I think there are lots of tools to hack Pokemon, and other games have to use hex editors.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    ya, but even at mario hack sites, and others like that, there aren't that many compared to how much are at pokemon hack sites. also i find more pokemon hack stuff than any other.

This is the /only/ Pokemon fan site with any form of representation for hacking worth noting. Bulbapedia/Serebii/Marriland/TCoD/basically every other Pokemon forum don't even have an emulation section. Our view here is a little bit warped not only because we are at a Pokemon fan site, but because every single Pokemon fan interested in hacking tends to come here. Sure, there's a few spin-off forums like PHO, but really most hacks end up here.

Last edited:

FlameShocker

C++/ASM Programmer
    Years
  • Actually, I'd have to argue that Super Mario World is hacked more. Believe me, I've seen a lot more hacks of that game. It's even easier to ASM hack it than Pokemon games. There's way more ASM support for that game, as in, there's a huge ROM Map and a huge RAM Map at a certain SMW hacking website (that probably gives it away to many people).

Edit: I'd also like to point out that no one seems to have made a RAM Map or ROM Map on this site for any third generation game. There's something over at another rom hacking website for Pokemon Gold (hint: "rom hacking" isn't part of the name of the website I'm talking about).

Last edited:

Xenesis

Syogun Changer
    Years
  • Mario (Both SMB1, 3 and World) are far more hacked than Pokemon could ever hope to be.

But then they have a ridiculously low barrier to entry and making a short Mario hack isn't a big deal - you've got to just design levels and stuff.

raidenx2008

Beggining Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2016
    Pokemon is so easy to hack especially 3rd Gen. Well, if you know some ASM, you can make it more powerful.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • People who say it`s because we`re on a Pokemon forum, I don`t think he`s talking about that. I think he means the whole internet. I remember before I knew much about hacks, it was still only Pokemon hacks that I ever heard of.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • I'd also like to point out that no one seems to have made a RAM Map or ROM Map on this site for any third generation game.

This is why pokemon gets hacked most, even too much.
    You don't even have to know what those things (RAM/ROM Map) mean, and only some do for that matter.

Back