• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why does society look down upon "emos"/people who are depressed?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Depression isn't something that someone chooses to be in, it's an illness. I don't like how people judge and make fun of them because of it. They're just making it worse for the kid who is depressed. I don't see why they have to make it worse, they're just normal people like you and I. I don't normally involve myself with other peoples matters, but today I saw some underclassman get picked on by 5 other kids, and that really irritated me, and one of the kids even said "Go slit your wrists and die." and that was basically the last straw for me so I told them off (Not in the nice formal matter I would have liked but you get the point). To be completely honest, I'm what you call "emo". Altho, I don't act depressed, I like to cover everything up. My point is, why must people judge others so harshly? What are your views on people who are depressed/"emo"?

Yurusumaji

The Collector
    Years
  • People who don't understand depression will always try to blow it off and act like it doesn't exist. It's human nature to reject the unfamiliar. This is why religious tolerance will also never exist.

The thing is that sometimes people use the idea of depression for attention. This usually brings out the "bad apple ruins the bunch" result. Once someone has known one person who faked depression or said they were depressed all the time but never did anything about it, they will always be wary of others who claim to be depressed (even if they are). Once bit, twice shy.

I still feel that how depressed individuals get treated is bullcrap, though. Not only can they suffer from teasing, which doesn't help the situation obviously, many times friends will ditch them because they feel that they need to cover their own rear and leave their depressed friend in the dust to wallow in their misery alone. So the treatment of truly depressed individuals is certainly in need of some changes. Those who are not depressed simply can't understand the condition and don't get why someone else suffers from depression. To avoid having to be considerate or educate themselves on the matter, they just treat them poorly and make light of a very serious condition.

Despite everything, what those people said to that poor kid was completely unacceptable and I'm glad you spoke out. Whether someone is only seeking attention or legitimately depressed, it's never okay to tell someone to harm themselves and/or die. I used to be a cutter with severe depression and though no one ever spoke that way to me because they were all scared of me, I know how I would have felt back then if someone had spoken to me in such a manner. It's completely uncalled for.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • I'll echo what Yurusumaji said, and say that people just don't understand that which they've never experienced themselves. Many of us accept this and choose to respect or embrace these differences, but just as many choose to belittle it.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine, who has never felt depressed, was talking about how he didn't understand how one could be in such a state. He stated, more or less, that it seemed incomprehensible to not want to do anything.

But he was trying to understand it; these bullies were doing everything but, and that is unacceptable. Good for you for stepping up to the plate when you were needed. The world needs more people like you, and less like them. ^^

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Well I don't think that depression should really be accepted as it could lead to people getting hurt or death at least that's why I don't like "Emos" not because they are different.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Well I don't think that depression should really be accepted as it could lead to people getting hurt or death at least that's why I don't like "Emos" not because they are different.
    People don't have an easy way to get out of depression, it's not easy to get out of. It's not like they want to be depressed, most of the time they just want someone to accept them for who they are, to make them feel better. Do you think they want to hurt or kill themselves? I know I don't, if it were easy to get out of depression I'd be out of it in a snap. (Sorry if I'm sounding to harsh)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Just because someone is depressed or has depression, it doesn't make them emo. To be honest, when I think of "emo" I think of the dress style. I don't see it as someone who is depressed. I seriously consider emo as the style with the black nail polish, the straightened hair, the eyeliner, all black, etc. I'll be honest and say I typically avoid those types of people because they tend to bug me, and it reminds me of how I used to dress, which...lol sophomore Syd.

But depression =/= emo

Anyways, on to the depression, it bugs me how people can look down on those with it. I think one of the main problems with that is that people like to diagnose themselves with some form of depression without taking it to a professional, which makes it seem like they just want attention. I personally take that as an insult. As someone with clinical depression, I hate it. And it would really piss me off if someone lied about having it just to get attention. It's not a fun thing to have, and people don't seem to get that.

No one should be judged for being depressed though. It took me a while before I even told one of my best friends I was depressed, because I was afraid of how they would take it, or if they would blame themselves, something along that line. But I was also afraid he'd think there was something wrong with me. I've since told him, and it's changed nothing. People just need to be mature about it and understand it is a real medical issue and shouldn't be joked around with. It isn't something we choose to have. It's overwhelming and consumes people in the worst of ways.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Just because someone is depressed or has depression, it doesn't make them emo. To be honest, when I think of "emo" I think of the dress style. I don't see it as someone who is depressed. I seriously consider emo as the style with the black nail polish, the straightened hair, the eyeliner, all black, etc. I'll be honest and say I typically avoid those types of people because they tend to bug me, and it reminds me of how I used to dress, which...lol sophomore Syd.

But depression =/= emo

This, except replace "lol sophomore Syd" with "lol eighth-grade Toujours". Emo was a style of music, then a style of dress, then people who wanted to say they were depressed because they got sad sometimes adopted it to define themselves. Depression is an actual mental condition, while emo is a label people often give themselves.

As far as depression goes, luckily I haven't had any friends who have fallen into that hole. I used to think I was depressed (once again, lol eighth-grade Toujours), when I didn't realize how lucky I actually was despite my problems. This makes me a bit skeptical towards a lot of people, especially people that call themselves depressed in public, or mention it a lot of the time. For example, I had multiple friends who used to post on Myspace (can I say lol eighth-grade Toujours enough?) about how they were very sad, depressed people but hid it well...by posting it on Myspace, obviously. Although despite that, I still wouldn't use that as an excuse to try to bully them. I'm just wary of believing someone is depressed if they do something such as constantly post about being depressed on Facebook or something.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I don't like when people pretend to be depressed just to get attention. In my eyes, its a mockary of those who really need help. I understand that some people who are depressed don't want help, which is somewhat of my case, but they will need it eventually. Unlike those who fake it and when they are signed up for help, they say "Oh, I'm feeling all better now." or "Oh, it was just a phase, I'm all good now."

In my school, or society I should say, "emos" and depressed people are grouped up. Even tho I don't care what you call it, making fun of it isn't good.

Umbreon Bob

Da Trainer
    Years
  • Well I don't think that depression should really be accepted as it could lead to people getting hurt or death at least that's why I don't like "Emos" not because they are different.

Thats by far the dumbest thing Ive read.

Id also like to point out that there is a difference between emos and depressed folks

Emos are most of the time just attention *****s who want people to believe taht they feel nothing, want to die, think the world is about to end and have a certain dress pattern. Basically they are like chavs, gangsters or any other stereotype.
    However there are people that have the emo look, but dont act like idiots. They do however in most cases call themselves emo/scene if asked about their type.

Depressed people can be anyone. Just because you are depressed doesnt mean you are emo.
    For example, I was depressed for 4 years but I would have punched anyone who called me emo, I wasnt emo nor am I an emo.
    Did I want to be depressed? No I did not.
    was it hard to fix? Yes it was.

Seriously think about what you are typing before you post it and not make yourself look like a fool.

Last edited:

Rainy Day

Perfect Weather
    Years
  • I do agree with you... to an extent. It all depends on how you define "emo". Those who are truly suffering from clinical depression should receive as much help to get out of it as possible. The issue is that a number of people who claim to be "emo" are simply looking for attention and so it's difficult to focus ones' attention to the people who are truly depressed.

That is, if you define emo as depressed and not as a social group. The social group can go die for all I care.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I didn't mean to group emo and depressed people together, I just mean that they both are groups that get harassed. :/ I'm depressed and I still sometimes cut myself (force of habit to make me feel better :/), so I don't know what you would really call it and I could care less, and I bet everyone else who is depressed and inflicts self harm doesn't care what you call it either because I highly doubt it to be in a specific group. People usually define cutting ones self as either really depressed or emo, so I thought the two were similar not the same.

Umbreon Bob

Da Trainer
    Years
  • Ive always defined emos to be attention needing people who are idiots.

You are not an emo if you are truly depressed

Yurusumaji

The Collector
    Years

This is a very ignorant statement and this is why:

You cannot deny depression. Depression is an illness, a serious medical condition that gets diagnosed by a professional. Most people who have clinical depression need medication to regulate it, just like an illness that inflicts the physical body. Just because this one doesn't normally leave sores or any physical indication of itself, does not mean it is any less real or any less a serious illness.

I used to be a cutter because of my depression. That was the physical manifestation of what was going on in my head. Depressed individuals do not think like others who are not depressed and some of them do hurt themselves and some commit suicide. This is a bad thing, but you can't play it off by simply saying, "Well they shouldn't have been depressed." They didn't choose to be depressed. Instead of blowing them off, it would be better for others to get to know them and maybe try to find out what triggered their depression and lend a caring hand to someone you can see truly needs it. You can also help these people help themselves by offering suggestions on how/where to get help for their condition.

Your statement shows ignorance because you're simply saying, "People shouldn't be depressed." Unfortunately, you can't just tell people to stop being depressed and expect it to be some kind of magical cure. It just doesn't work that way and you should try to educate yourself a little more on what depression entails for a person and what kinds of things can cause depression. Some people may have depression triggered by a particularly traumatic event in their life or by a poor living situation, others with depression have a chemical imbalance in their brain that requires medication for regulation. So don't just assume that everyone with depression is the same and blow them off by saying their condition is "unacceptable".

Jakealot

A whole lot of Jake
    Years
  • I've been there too, it sucks. I had a friend who used to make fun of me and my other friend a lot for missing school because of depression. Until one day I called him out on his almost constant angry outbursts he would have on people. I made him realize it was the same thing, his emotions and mind take over. Depression isn't just some game to get some attention from, or at least it shouldn't be. For me, being depressed was feeling like complete ****. feeling like i wanted to kill myself because of stupid things. The thing I hate to hear the most is, "There are so many people worse off than you, and your depressed." because its not like I can help it, its just there. I feel what you're going through, and if you ever need help, you can friend me or message me, maybe I can relate with you and help make you not feel so alone and hated.

Years
  • People who are actually suffering depression and are genuinely scared have my sympathy. People who are or act depressed to receive pity from others I hate. If your problem is real, go see a doctor about it instead of whining to everyone. If it isn't, shut up.

My friend has depression, and although I've never had it bad enough to want to see a doctor, I've had some symptoms of depression before, so for those truly suffering it is a terrible thing. If someone has depression, it's doesn't have to be a public or private thing, nor a shameful thing. I personally have never seen someone picked on for being depressed. On the other hand, I HAVE seen people picked on because they constantly mope around and act without courtesy to others.

Years
  • Depression is not emo. Depression is a serious thing, emo is wannabe goth and a chosen behaviour

This.
    Emo doesn't have anything to do with a persons state of mind. Emo is define as "a style of rock music typically characterized by melodic musicianship...".

Lets put it this way. If someone hasn't been in that situation of depression, then it is unlikely that that person can truly comment on what it is like to be depressed. Depression is a medical issue and one that is recognised to be rather serious at stages. Peoples comments like "Oh stop being emo" has lead others to believe that emo is a state of mind, but it really isn't.

Personally, I think that people who pretend to be depressed have de-sensitized peoples view of how serious depression can actually be. Of course, there are exceptions to that rule, for example anyone who is suffering from Munchausen's.​

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Clinical depression is one thing, but most of these people are just angsty kids who need to get over it. Life's gonna be tough. Deal with it, the rest of us do. The goods far outweigh the bads.

Back