• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why doesn't anyone use Butterfree in Leaf Green or Fire Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2011
    It's one of my most usefull pokemon. It can learn pretty good moves as well. Currently, my Butterfree knows:

Aerial Ace
    Giga Drain
    Psychic and
    Sleep Powder

It's one of my best pokemon I would say. You can put an enemy to sleep, which is good for catching pokemon or beating them. If your health is low, he has Giga Drain. Aerial Ace is a good flying attack that never misses. And he has Psychic, like the best Psychic move. He's pretty much the beast of my team.

I also have Venusaur, Rhydon, Gyarados (Soon to be replaced with Omastar), Flareon, and Pidgeot as well, which I find to be a great team.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Bugs type are pretty weak I think, so I don't use them, even if I appreciate Butterfree (notably in the yellow version where it's very useful against Brock) :)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I only use it in the early stages to capture things like Abra. Sleep Powder + Compoundeyes is excellent for that, and Confusion does damage without having to worry about an accidential KO.

But overall, its attacks just aren't strong enough to justify using it much past Vermilion City, so I usually stop using it around there.

NothingPersonal

The vietnamese pokemon master.
    Years
  • Are you kidding me? Anyone who's played the game knows you get in at the beginning of the game in viridian forest. But anyway, butterfree is extremely weak and fragile. It can be a status inducer, but there are better/faster/stronger/ pokemon for the job. Just because it was used by Ash, doesn't necessarily mean that it's good.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Where do you find it? I have no idea where it is.
    You have to evolve from Metapod in FRLG.

As for the question, at the end of the day it's just not that great stat wise. Unless I was doing a challenge I'd probably never take it all the way to Elite 4. It's BST is mediocore as well.

tkallab

Should have been in Dissidia
    Years
  • Most Nuzlockers end up with a Butterfree, and with Sleep Powder and Dream Eater it's a pretty powerful thing.

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2018
    A lot of you could learn something from the dragon master in the dragons den in HG/SS :P Next time i play through a kanto region game, im going to use butterfree all the way.

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    It has lackluster stats. However, it does have a pretty good movepool and Compoundeyes + Poison/Sleep Powder/Stun Spore is very useful.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Because it's a beginning of the game Pokemon. lol Butterfree isn't one of those OMG ALMIGHTY Pokemon that people wanna use. I, however, did do a run in FR long ago (before I started despising FRLG) and I had a Butterfree on my team that kicked ass. You can make anything work for in-game teams really. Some may take more effort than others, but it can be worthwhile. Unless it's Delibird. I don't think there's any helping him.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • IMO Butterfree wasn't good in 3rd gen because both of it's stab types were physical back then. I see butterfree more as a special attacker.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • Ever since I watched the show and watched Ash say goodbye to his butterfree, ive always caught one(male too!) in every game. I've also developed a huge respect for bug types because of it. :)

i also love that its a flying type. :D

flying types are my faaavvvvv...

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I've used Butterfree once, and it completely failed on me. It was never used again.

Years
  • I'm not sure why I didn't use Butterfree in the 3rd gen games. I guess I didn't really have any room for it on my team. I do use Butterfree on HeartGold though, and it's the second highest-leveled Pokemon in my party.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2021
    My Pokedex Entry for Butterfree

Butterfree. The butterfly pokemon. Used to catch Abra in the grass west of Nugget Bridge by using the common tactic of using Sleep Powder and Confusion to slowly lower health whilst avoiding teleportation.

^THAT is why nobody uses Butterfree.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Many people consider Butterfree to be weak (which I agree). I've tried having it on my team for in game battles and she continously got knocked out within one move because the opponents that I went against loved using Fire, Flying or Rock type moves.

:t354:TG

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back