• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why doesn't anyone use Butterfree in Leaf Green or Fire Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
Years
  • Butterfree is one of my favorites and she has a good movepool which IMO covers up the fact that her stats aren't that good :/

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2013
    I used it once and it was good for the first 4 gyms. Then it started falling behind.

PelipperMail

Banned
    Years
  • I nearly always use a Butterfree in my FRLG runs, if I don't choose Bulbasaur.

But eventually it starts to lose it's cool after it loses against anything with a type advantage... but sometimes I'll train a Beedrill and use that until I've finished the game. Beedrill is fun especially when it has Swords Dance.

I nearly always use a Butterfree in my FR/LG runs, if I don't choose Bulbasaur.

But eventually it starts to lose it's cool after it loses against anything with a type advantage... same goes for Beedrill.

Last edited:

Beaute

。◕‿◕。
    Years
  • I LOVE butterfree's design, but as stated above it doesn't have the greatest stats. v.v

Though, buterfree does have a great move pool.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • You know, it never really hit me until I saw this post, but, the most annoying opponent could be one of the best pokemon to have on your team. With an exception of a few. I guess people never really think outside the box, or they take in consideration of how many weakness a pokemon has. Look at how many weakness Charizard has, but people still uses it. Maybe I'll Butterfree a try in my next run through of leafgreen.

DexHolderBlue

The Sneaky Thief
    Years
  • I like Butterfree. Maybe I'll also try using one for something different. Yeah it's stats aren't the best, but who cares? It's still useful against a lot of in-game trainers, and it can learn a lot of good moves. I need to use more bug Pokemon. As far as I can remember, the only one I've ever used has been Beautifly, and even that wasn't for very long.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I've had the same thought.. Butterfree is kinda underated given the fact that it can learn some nifty moves and the fact that it's part psychic which I think is cool, even though I prefer Beedrill.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • I've had the same thought.. Butterfree is kinda underated given the fact that it can learn some nifty moves and the fact that it's part psychic which I think is cool, even though I prefer Beedrill.

Unfortunatly butterfree isnt psychic type hahah. I wish it was though, that would be awesome. I had great succes in fire red with a psychic, sleep powder, dream eater and silver wind combo. I love butterefree

Last edited:

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
    Years
  • I actually used Butterfree in both my SS and FR but I only used em both up till around level 20 and then I put it in the bank and never used it again. While I will agree that it is very very helpful, has all the spores, perfect for catching wild Chanseys on Route 7, it's just very weak at a certain point. I've never used it to fight the E4, and it's weird cause like I said, it is VERY VERY helpful.

MuffinPaula

「PONPON!? ??
    Years
  • I don't use Bug type Pokemon overall. But if I did i would catch that Pokemon. It pwns Beedrill any day

Ian Watkins

^Is a total tart. X3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2014
    I almost alway use a Butterfree whenever I can. I can see why loads of people don't use one, but it has always been consistantly useful to me whenever I use and, and is one if my favourite Pokemon too. :3

Years
  • I used a Butterfree in my first playthrough of Fire Red, it had its uses now and then but it was the Pokémon that got knocked out the most in my party. Although I might train one up again since I know more about Pokémon now that I did back then. xD

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I had Butterfree on my team in Leaf Green but I eventually replaced it with a Pikachu. :3

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2012
    The bug-type is like, broken.
    Offensively, not even including the limited bug-type offensive moves, Bug attacks are only super effective against 3 types - Grass, Dark and Psychic (the psychic one is semi-useful) and is weak against SIX TYPES.
    Defensively, it resists fighting, ground, and grass, which seems almost moronic to me. The fact that it resists ground is completely counteracted by the fact that most ground-types are either dual ground and rock or have a wide rock movepool and therefore can dominate any bug pokemon. On top of this, if it is a ground rock dualtype, a bug will hit for 0.5 damage using a bug-type move. As well as this, the fighting resistance is retarded, as when bug moves are used against fighting types they only hit 0.5.
    And then there's the problem of the bulk amounts of bug-poison, poison-grass and grass-bug types that completely null the effects of bug-types advantage on grass pokemon.

In terms of butterfree, butterfree has quite mediocre stats, particularly for a 3rd stage evolution. And it's dual-type makes it get hit super effective to 4 types as well as a x4 super effective with rock types.
    Sure, butterfree has a great movepool but the bug/flying dualtype has too many weaknesses, and not a wide enough range of resistances (it has 3, two of which are 1/4 damage, though).

(sorry about double post)
    But I do use butterfree in my crystal game :P
    It's movepool really does make it half decent, but its only a decent pokemon to start with really, because it levels up so fast it has a major advantage over stage 1 pokemon, but is overtaken later on due to its lower stats. The sleep powder/psychic combo is great though.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2019
    I always use butterfree! Maybe it's just habit, but I lobe the diversity that Butterfree has, personally.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • I used her twice. First for the heck of it, and the other for my monotype run.

Shadow Ball
    Psychic
    Giga Drain
    Sleep Powder

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • I'm quite a fan of Bug-types. While I'll usually use a Beedrill over Butterfree, I have occasionally raised one. They do okay, though they're definitely one of the weaker Pokemon on my team in every occasion. They have their niche, though, and they really shine when you hit Sabrina if you train it right. The movepool's not that great actually, in my opinion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back