• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why doesn't anyone use Butterfree in Leaf Green or Fire Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2024
    I don't use Butterfree, because I find it boring. It's just a Pokemon I always deem "unneeded" in my team. As for the strategy of using it agaisnt Brock in the beginning, I find it more fun to level my other Pokemon to level 18 or so and just whoop him. I do like Caterpie and Metapod though, but they're useless XD.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Butterfree was by far one of my favorite Pokemon back in the Blue/Red & Yellow days

Now...there's just so many other Pokemon that are worth more to use on a competitive basis. Like the guy above mention. Bug type are just....underrated now. The only moves I do love from Bug Types are X-Scissor and teaching Espeon Signal Beam! :)

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    Butterfree in non-competitive teams is fine and I'll admit to using one every now and then if I feel like I want to but for competitive teams, there are much better bug types than Butterfree.

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    Well, I always thought Butterfree was overrated. I don't use bug-types with wings because, it feels weird having a fly slave and a winged bug type together on your team imo.

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
    Years
    I used it for competitive play, i must say it helped me through some tight situations before, I replaced it for Scizor though, but ill use it again.

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
    I would be willing to use them, but there are other Pokemon that I'd perfer to use. I was thinking of doing a challange run of Pokemon that are kind of underlooked in Fire Red, so I may use this on my team to start me off,

SuperKirbyFan

Weedle trainer
    Years
    Butterfree is epic. When I beat Yellow the first time I had a Butterfree on my team all the way to the Elite 4, and same with SoulSilver.

Hydro Pumper

Water Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I used Butterfree for the first time I played through Firered. o3o The only problem I found was that it didn't have access to decent STAB moves, and since the physical-special split hadn't occurred at the time, all Bug and Flying moves were physical. Butterfree is a better user of special moves, so I really found it hard to slide into my teams since the other special moves it could learn, like Giga Drain and Psychic, could be outclassed by other Pokemon.

BlueMageBrilly

The Blue Mage
    Years
    I didn't use Beedrill or Butterfree when I got to the third gym, then they started to fall under the rest of my team simply because they couldn't do anything!! They just don't have as good of a stat gain or moveset that early or later compared to everyone else, I guess?

BeliVuk

Pokemon Stadium 64 Player
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2012
    I used Butterfree in one of my games, it was great! It's surprisingly powerful, especially Giga Drain.

Although the main reason that noone uses it is probably because noone wants to bother leveling Caterpie or because they don't like Bug type Pokemon.

Ian Watkins

^Is a total tart. X3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2014
    I use Butterfree all the time, it's one of my favourite Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2015
    Prioritize IVs and natures to favour Defense/Special Defense to make up for lackluster stats. Teach it Sleep Powder and Supersonic, both available fairly early. Put the opponent to sleep and then confuse it. When it wakes up the confusion will be put into effect. Meanwhile, you've switched Butterfree for something more offensive...

Bika

lmfao
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2012
    There are millions of people who play Pokemon, I'm sure one of them used Butterfree, including me. :P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back